Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Conversation in my classroom yesterday:

Student: "Why did I get a '4' on this [10-point] assignment?"
    Me: "Because this was almost word-for-word the same as other student's."
    Student: "Yeah, I worked on it with another person."
    Me: "But you still have to do your own work. I'm not going to figure out who copied, so I split the points in half between the two."
    Student: "Even on a little assignment like this?"
    Me: "I could've given you both a '0.' It's still plagiarism."
    Student: "Oh. So, that's the way it's gonna be."
    Me [in my head] : "LOL!! LOL!!" (and I had to cover my mouth a couple times in class to keep my laughing smile covered up )
    You were generous. They both would have gotten a zero for that nonsense in my class.

Usually the first time is enough to discourage a second one. If so, I go the zero route.

And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Yes, I think our last day would be May. 15 if the prop fails to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov.
    For whatever reason I was thinking it'd be more not less days, another 1-3 weeks would be huge.

In what other profession (aside from comics or trivia) can a person reference Mr. Mxyzptlk and have it be relevant? Teaching has its bad days, but it rocks most of the time!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Well, I reported to Fort Sam Houston on the 10th of August for "Instructor Duty".

I've spent the last few weeks in school, getting certified and earning my Instructor badge. I have to sit through a few courses then test with a 90% in order to certify on the course. After that I will be reviewed and I still have a few prerequisites to knock out (I have to complete everything within 1 year).

The course is accredited, so the requirements are pretty high. The Air Force tracks all our training and hours in a system they call "STARS". Which is good because once I reach a certain level I can simply apply for my teaching certificate and I will be good to go.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to instructing/teaching. Three years of this, I should be able to decide if I want to teach as a career when I retire. If so, this will work out great since I retire in three years. It should be a smooth transition.
    May the force be with you.

Great to hear, sk_99! Any possibility that a certain author of objectivism will squeeze into your curriculum somehow?

We have a window! Last year, the powers-that-be finally decided that the inconvenience of having to unlock the staff room door every time outweighed the damage and theft of property inside said room. Today, we got a window put in that very door, so we don't have to guess if someone is behind it or open it uber-cautiously. Quickly installed, too (started after school began, done before lunch was over). I didn't see or hear, but they did not seem to have replaced the door, but inserted the window (and added the frame).

It's parent-teacher conference week for my wife. So far, she's had about a 75% no-show of parents. She called one no-show parent with whom she really needed to speak, and the parent hung up on her right after she identified herself.

More dumbing-down of America....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm shocked that Prop. 30 passed here in California. I guess winter break will go back to three weeks this year, where it had been rumored to go to five weeks.