Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Bel-Cam Jos, thank you for the advice. My strategy is basically what you mentioned..I am in "survival mode", or "just make it to June" mode as I call it right now. I have decided that this will probably be my last year here, and perhaps for teaching altogether. What I posted yesterday was the culmination of things over time, not based on one single event. The thing that has bothered me most has been the amount of exhaustion I have felt. It's not a physical tired, it's an emotional and mental type of tired. It's the kind of tired where when you get home all you want to do is lay down and not go anywhere or see anyone. It's the kind of tired where you have spent 7+ hours a day dealing with yelling, screaming, overactive kids who seem to not care at all.

And I hear you on taking "mental health" days off, BCJ. I feel one of those coming on soon.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

J&H, your plight is all our plights. Stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post

p.s. Out school is going through its WASC accreditation next week. I get to come in on Sunday and stay after school later Mon. - Wed. Hooray!
    WASC will be at my campus two weeks later. I'm so tired of hearing about it.

Survived day one of WASC! Only two more to go. This month has:
    - freshman, sophomore, junior registration for next year
    - WASC visit
    - high school exit exam days (plus admin "pep talks," and my snacks giveaway)
    - two furlough days off
    - spring break
    - Distinguished School visit
    - junior EAP college test
    - Mr. [mascot] competition
    - talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Survived day one of WASC! Only two more to go. This month has:
    - freshman, sophomore, junior registration for next year
    - WASC visit
    - high school exit exam days (plus admin "pep talks," and my snacks giveaway)
    - two furlough days off
    - spring break
    - Distinguished School visit
    - junior EAP college test
    - Mr. [mascot] competition
    - talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.
    We've got WASC, CAHSEE, EAP, SAT prep, talent/variety show, spring carnival/fair, academic pep rally, ASB elections, Prom court elections, parent conference night, spring drama shows, and spring break. An intense month indeed...

And I neglected to add that the grading quarter ends in two days; get those grades entered and recorded.

I've noticed today that my wife has that "thousand yard stare" going. I wondered why until I realized that Spring Break is just a week away for her....

She's on cruise control.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

More added to this month, that I forgot: talent show, food fair, and I got my (surprise! ) classroom observation, on a day I was giving the sophomores a "break" the day after their math part of the Exit Exam, with a less-stringent lesson. Uh, not too good.

Just came back from the WASC visitation opening meeting. Going in on a Sunday is not fun. Now for three more days of visits and meetings before we have parent conference night/talent show/food truck festival/carnival on Thursday and the academic pep rally on Friday. Sprinkle in the school play tomorrow afternoon and a Shakey's night fundraiser on Friday and my week will vanish before Saturday begins the ten day bliss of spring break.

Maradona, your school is doing almost EXACTLY what ours did! Your posts have reminded me what we had on the schedule in March: I need to add more (two restaurant fundraisers, three nights of a play). We had a furlough day right after WASC was here, then a full week (with the HSEE taking most of the attention), and now it's the break. Heart rate... returning to normal. But I still have grading to get to at some point this week.

Add MORE events in March: 8th grade parent night, Relay for Life night.

BTW, my classroom observation review was pretty good; only one relatively-minor recommendation.