Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

I had the students write as a "sponge" activity (a.k.a. bell work, opener, warm-up, intro. lesson, activation of prior knowledge, etc.) what is the corniest or silliest joke(s) they'd heard before. Reason? To introduce the turtle-crossing-the-road chapter 3 of The Grapes of Wrath. Anyway, one student included these two:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some student, wise beyond her years
    You are on the Oregon Trail. You meet a man named Terry. You say, "Terry's a girl's name," and Terry brutally beats you up for making fun of him. You have died of dissin' Terry."

What is the temperature inside of a tauntaun?
    Lukewarm.
    Ah... what is it that keeps we teachers going, again?

p.s. I was looking through all the posts in this here looooooong thread; we've come a long way, baby! Five years of success, struggle, pain, economics, workload, awards, evaluations, despair, humor, stories, stats, room issues, temperatures, administration, voting, caseloads, and more more more.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 04-07-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Perused 47 pages of previous posts!
    "That's what Sheev said."

There is some light slowly forming at the end of the tunnel.

I don't want to go into too many details at this moment, but if I can make it to the end of this year I may be getting a much needed change.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I'm rootin' for you!

I get to test half a sophomore PE class for standardized testing starting tomorrow (so those classes of 50-70 students aren't so large); but at least this year, I know three of the students already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Survived day one of WASC! Only two more to go. This month has:
    - freshman, sophomore, junior registration for next year
    - WASC visit
    - high school exit exam days (plus admin "pep talks," and my snacks giveaway)
    - two furlough days off
    - spring break
    - Distinguished School visit
    - junior EAP college test
    - Mr. [mascot] competition
    - talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.
    What did we officially learn today? We are finally a CA Distinguished School!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    What did we officially learn today? We are finally a CA Distinguished School!
    Nicely done, sir! I know from experience as my wife has been on the committee throughout the years at her school site achieve this prestigious designation. It's no easy process!

http://thorner.bcsd.com/
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Standardized testing (aside from absent make-ups)... done! That's not the big news. It seems that NONE of our students used their cell phones during the testing! Amazing! After the tests were done and the bells rang, however... it was like a prisoner off his hunger strike to check messages and damage their thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    That's not the big news. It seems that NONE of our students used their cell phones during the testing! Amazing! After the tests were done and the bells rang, however... it was like a prisoner off his hunger strike to check messages and damage their thumbs.
    So, just like what happens when a plane lands.

So, how do you all handle this "but it's the last week before finals..." line now?

a) like a cool teacher, letting kids do whatever they want (as long as property & physical damage don't occur)
    b) like a mean teacher, continuing to give class- and homework
    c) like a proper teacher, balancing some new work with review and relaxation
    d) all of the above, like a confused teacher