Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

My wife starts her meetings and classes tomorrow before getting into the classroom to set up for the year. I've never understood why the District doesn't realize that the teachers can't get their rooms together in just a mere few days. The stress level in the house is already on high....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

So, we're all at our annual district get-together/pep rally, with all the here's-what's-coming-this-year and what's-the-budget-like information. Then... the superintendent starts making an analogy to the Lakers, and that his favorite player from the Showtime era was James Worthy, then... who should walk on stage? "Big Game" James himself! Listened to his talk for about 15 minutes (after everyone sat down and put away their camera phones, of course). Sweet!

Meetings on campus tomorrow, last papers and lessons preparation, then it's on like Call of Duty: Black Ops... kong?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    So, we're all at our annual district get-together/pep rally, with all the here's-what's-coming-this-year and what's-the-budget-like information. Then... the superintendent starts making an analogy to the Lakers, and that his favorite player from the Showtime era was James Worthy, then... who should walk on stage? "Big Game" James himself! Listened to his talk for about 15 minutes (after everyone sat down and put away their camera phones, of course). Sweet!

Meetings on campus tomorrow, last papers and lessons preparation, then it's on like Call of Duty: Black Ops... kong?
    Budget cuts everywhere, but somehow districts still find money for guest speakers. Ah, the glorious state of education...

Well, he is good friends with someone connected to the district; I wonder if there was a gentleman's agreement rather than a fee.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

That would be very cool of Big Game.

Well, the first "week" is done; two days of meetings/planning/organizing, followed by three days of students and lessons.
    Pros?
    - good kids (which is ALWAYS the best part)
    - only have to plan one lesson daily (first time all the same level: juniors)

Cons?
    - no A/C since school began this week (and the fan doesn't help aside from moving the hot air around; scary point: it's not even reached 90 outside)
    - classes over-full (have to borrow desks in one period from my neighbor teacher, then return them the next period for his large classes)
    - have one lesson to present daily, five periods in a row (and my preparation period is 1st, of 6; can get dull by the end if I'm not careful)

Next week is Back to School Night; hope to have air functional by then.

Well, the first "week" is done; two days of meetings/planning/organizing, followed by three days of students and lessons.
    Pros?
    - good kids (which is ALWAYS the best part)
    - only have to plan one lesson daily (first time all the same level: juniors)

Cons?
    - no A/C since school began this week (and the fan doesn't help aside from moving the hot air around; scary point: it's not even reached 90 outside)
    - classes over-full (have to borrow desks in one period from my neighbor teacher, then return them the next period for his large classes)
    - have one lesson to present daily, five periods in a row (and my preparation period is 1st, of 6; can get dull by the end if I'm not careful)

Next week is Back to School Night; hope to have air functional by then.
    One prep is scary. I had that only once and thankfully never again. I'm sure you'll find a way to keep interesting for both you and the kids. I've got three preps this year (four if I count the after school peer counseling), a far cry from last year's five (or six). I'm really looking forward to the kids showing up this week after a week of meetings. One more big one on Monday and then to the business of actual education.

Almost took on a 6th period (but I was not as high up on the list as the person who accepted), but once I realized it would be the same level (that'd be six straight juniors ), I wasn't disappointed I didn't get it. BUT... my air conditioning is back to functional! AND... I have enough desks for each of my students per class period! Amazing! The system works! Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).

Almost took on a 6th period (but I was not as high up on the list as the person who accepted), but once I realized it would be the same level (that'd be six straight juniors ), I wasn't disappointed I didn't get it. BUT... my air conditioning is back to functional! AND... I have enough desks for each of my students per class period! Amazing! The system works! Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).
    I like auxiliary periods. It's a substantial pay raise for the year to compensate for the extra work. I asked for, but there has not been any movement so far.

Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).
    Sounds like a job for Malaprop Man!