Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

I put together a system of shelves (it was actually called a "mail box") for my wife's classroom this afternoon. I couldn't help but marvel at how many hundreds of dollars of ours is in her room. Furniture, flip charts, pocket charts, shelves, trays, plastic tubs and other assorted containers. That's not even including the school supplies we augment. I firmly believe she works for minimum wage with all the money we put back into her classroom every year.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

There are some ways I've been able to save some classroom items money by using things twice, or miserly:
    - handwrite a student's name on a manila folder for a portfolio and put a sticker on it later to re-use that folder once the student's no longer at the school
    - use blank sides of paper for master copies (or occasionally other copies)
    - haven't bought boxes of paperclips in years, as I keep the ones used by the end of the school year
    - toilet paper as tissues (students are less likely to waste these, and I give them to them anyway)
    - buy cheap (under $.50) spiral notebooks and tear out the pages for loose leaf paper (much cheaper than packs of paper)
    - stock up on those rare awesome supplies deals (items for $.01) just in case
    - trade items with co-workers that I have extras of for those I don't
    - recyclables (but I use these funds for snacks for testing and an annual recycling scholarship)
    "That's what Sheev said."

Well, school starts next week out here. Tonight we had the "meet and greet" with the teachers. WORST meet and greet EVER.

We spent 1.5 hours at the school for almost 15 full seconds of face time with my daughters "pride" teacher.
    May the force be with you.

At lunch this week, there was a swarm of bees surrounding a tree in the quad (true or false: students still walked right towards the tree ). Solution? Put up "caution: do not cross" yellow tape, of course! That'll keep those bees in place. Actually, I learned the district policy is to let the queen leave the beehive after a couple days, and then don't have to kill any insects with pesticide as they also go away (then, the empty hive gets knocked down). No reports of any stung students or staff, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Actually, I learned the district policy is to let the queen leave the beehive after a couple days, and then don't have to kill any insects with pesticide as they also go away (then, the empty hive gets knocked down). No reports of any stung students or staff, thanks.
    Why not kill the bees?
    May the force be with you.

I think it's due to having possible toxic chemicals on campus. And I can predict a later question: what about possible toxic bee stings happening on campus? I don't know.

This year has an odd start to it. I sense a notable Star Wars movie repeated line of feelings about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    At lunch this week, there was a swarm of bees surrounding a tree in the quad (true or false: students still walked right towards the tree ). Solution? Put up "caution: do not cross" yellow tape, of course! That'll keep those bees in place.
    I thought you didn't work for LAUSD...

Common Core, you know: got to do the same across the curriculums (yeah, you read that right).

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Why not kill the bees?
    This is California, SK. 'Nuff said....