Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I remember our first principal (of the school where I teach) once said he never wanted to see the school on TV news, because it would likely be negative. Ah, how those in education can sometimes see the future. Especially if the word "police" is included. It'll be an interesting Monday morning next week, I think.
    The only time I saw tv news cameras at my old school is when we had a fellow teacher busted for DWI 4 times in a 13 month period.

FYI, I seem to have a workable and possibly enjoyable class this year (I hesitate only because it is only November). The biggest pain in the arse this year is the Common Core curriculum as NY state is the only state in the Union to not only implement the core but also test its students on it and tie in those results to their teacher's evaluation. But I am plodding through the year as hopeful as I can be. Thank the maker!
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    FYI, I seem to have a workable and possibly enjoyable class this year (I hesitate only because it is only November). The biggest pain in the arse this year is the Common Core curriculum as NY state is the only state in the Union to not only implement the core but also test its students on it and tie in those results to their teacher's evaluation. But I am plodding through the year as hopeful as I can be. Thank the maker!
    CA is supposed to begin its CC official-ness next year; this year is to be the piloting and test case, but there have already been glitches and miscommunication. Not good omens.

Glad to hear your classes are decent, LBC! Mine have had their moments, but overall, they are good kids, where most are interested in learning and improving themselves (as all juniors, they are getting close to graduation, so that may be their motivation).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    CA is supposed to begin its CC official-ness next year; this year is to be the piloting and test case, but there have already been glitches and miscommunication. Not good omens.
    Indeed.

My poor wife and her colleagues have found that communication from "those in the know" is pretty much non-existent. Needed information is just not finding its way into the trenches. I have never seen my wife so frazzled at her job as she is this year. That goes for all of her colleagues as well. It's hard to sit by and not be able to assist in some way.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

My own high school had a significant anniversary. It's in the same district as the school where I teach, so the fact that a "traitor" was there wasn't really an issue, as I found out that my alma mater has provided the most teachers in the district. I could still fit in my letterman's jacket, so I didn't need a name sticker!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Week two, back from winter break. Have one really small class (a new sophomore one of 21 right now, as an overflow from all the other full sophomore ones; still getting to know them) and four over-full junior ones. Great news? Only 14 more school days until the High School Exit Exam, and I barely know the new kids. Time to knuckle down!

Common Core = Devil's spawn. At least to this observer...

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Common Core = Devil's spawn. At least to this observer...
    Our department meeting agenda for tomorrow has our district's expert on that subject in attendance. We'll see if I concur with your assessment after then, TI.

This reflects the environment around my wife's school:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/wat...ore-4-minutes/

Teachers and parents get it; administrators don't.

Our meeting wasn't so bad. I learned nothing new, but neither was there more (actually, if any) bad news on CC.

First day off of the semester this weekend. Thanks for all you did, MLK Jr., and others continue to do!

As an admitted observer on the sidelines, there seems to be light years in difference between primary and secondary Common Core issues. Almost universally, my wife and her colleagues feel their hands are tied in what they are allowed to teach (with no helpful direction coming from the administration) and they are frustrated seeing their kids FAIL under the auspices of CC. Frustration is so high, the din from teachers wanting to quit is deafening. This, from teachers with decades of experience, too.