Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

It was supposed to be that junior English teachers would give the ELA and Math Common Core computer assessments, over three days (after two previous changes to the adjusted schedule). Now, we English teachers are only giving the Math (so English teachers don't get to see our subject area's items, nor the Math teachers seeing theirs), but three days may no longer be enough time. Nice.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    It was supposed to be that junior English teachers would give the ELA and Math Common Core computer assessments, over three days (after two previous changes to the adjusted schedule). Now, we English teachers are only giving the Math (so English teachers don't get to see our subject area's items, nor the Math teachers seeing theirs), but three days may no longer be enough time. Nice.
    Our testing goes live this week, too. Even worse, I'm not testing any students and I have three periods of 11th. They're all being pulled out of their classes for the day and into the computer labs. This whole process will certainly take longer than the two, count 'em two, whole days administration has budgeted. Ridiculousness shall undoubtedly ensue...

Common Core + my wife and her colleagues =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCM6TZgTMI
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Ridiculousness shall undoubtedly ensue...
    Yep. We got a hand-delivered notice to the classroom that Thursday will be our first day live, with training on Wednesday; nice to learn of that only two days prior.

Today was the last of the 5-day testing, with one of those days an in-class teaching lesson on container terminology. My legs hurt, especially my heels and knees, from all that standing and walking. My back's sore from the leaning over and lifting, too. Oh, the questions? Somewhat interesting, but the computers' features were glitchy and hard to find. Students (well, at least mine for the first 4 days) were fairly into it. Best part? We don't get to see ANY results, not even school-wide data. And next week, the last of the semi-standardized tests (juniors EAP college readiness, sophomores life science) cover just two days, with only one changing the bell schedule.

And, true to expectations, the "Smarter Balanced" testing was disastrous. The iPads kept crashing, the kids were kicked out of the system, the proctors kept telling students that this didn't count or matter, all in all: a couple of wasted days. It's here to stay, though, so I hope that the bugs get fixed and we all get used to this new paradigm soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    And, true to expectations, the "Smarter Balanced" testing was disastrous. The iPads kept crashing, the kids were kicked out of the system, the proctors kept telling students that this didn't count or matter, all in all: a couple of wasted days. It's here to stay, though, so I hope that the bugs get fixed and we all get used to this new paradigm soon.
    I read some of my students' reflections on the process: most saw it as a waste of time, frustrated in the software glitches, disappointed that the administrators (read: me, and other teachers and staff ) weren't familiar enough with the format and procedures, too much time allotted, levels of questions not at what courses they'd taken, and oddly enough a preference for the ol' paper-and-pencil tests (which they also finished taking THIS week). A few found the challenging questions that wanted you to apply and not just repeat what you've learned a nice change, as well as embracing the 21st century tools.

I just returned from the grocery store with Mrs. TI7. It should have only taken 15 minutes to do our shopping but we spent upwards of 90 minutes before we checked out.

This made me wonder: how many parent-teacher conferences do you get involved in when you are out and about on your own time?

(I'm glad my wife has a job that only entails having to work six hours a day, five days a week and gets three month off for summer vacation.....)
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I just returned from the grocery store with Mrs. TI7. It should have only taken 15 minutes to do our shopping but we spent upwards of 90 minutes before we checked out.

This made me wonder: how many parent-teacher conferences do you get involved in when you are out and about on your own time?

(I'm glad my wife has a job that only entails having to work six hours a day, five days a week and gets three month off for summer vacation.....)
    Not that many, but some. One kid was so excited, he slipped on the floor running. Hey, I just change the world one student at a time; it's not like I was on American Idol or anything. Thankfully, not many "grade conferences," just school talk.

Evacuated!

Our school made the news today, but we got the students off campus quickly and safely. We staff handled the issue decently (I had a prep period when they announced to remain in the classrooms, so I headed to the office to help with student/parent release); our Safety Committee meeting next week will likely have a different agenda now.