Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by B-C Jos View Post
    We English teachers are supposed to meet a couple times over the summer to review and break down the Common Core units that've been created, since we go live with them this school year.
    The first of those ended yesterday; two days of junior level curriculum. And funny hats! (ah summer, without students to keep teachers professional, you give us joy )
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    The first of those ended yesterday; two days of junior level curriculum. And funny hats! (ah summer, without students to keep teachers professional, you give us joy )
    …and extra pay.

How did you know? :notjustfortheloveofthegame:

Was a great deal in the newspaper ads for pencils, notebooks, folders. I went to said store: nothing of those in the entire store. The employee said "yeah, we had teachers asking for boxes of them for their students. You know, they use them for their students." Nah, I just wanted them to burn in my fireplace...

But they have another shipment due tomorrow; I'll try to get there early!

Today was the first "report" day of school, without students. The first picture is of our district's Kickoff Event inside a very humid theater (makes sense, as it was very humid outside). Second is of "Mr. Bel-Cam Jos" door sign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-4-14.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	28411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Room 8-4-14.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	28412  

Ah, bureaucracy... gotta love it. Someone at the district office wanted to know in what order we'd be teaching the new Common Core units, numbered 1-7, so they could know when to print copies for us. I felt dumb recommending that they print unit 1 first, followed by 2, then... get the pattern? We'd have the copies we need, and use them as we can, right? Really? We had to vote on this?

First "week" is in the books, all three days of students. So far, not too bad for me (classes are still big: 36, 37, 39, 39, and a smaller HSEE prep course now down to a manageable 24; no significant behavior problems), aside from a non-working LCD projector, which MIGHT even be usable before our Back-to-School Night.

Suggesting chronological or numerological order?!? That's just crazy talk!

We had several days of $PAID$ training last week with the district's new student information system/attendance/gradebook that is entirely in the cloud. I'll have to say goodbye to my trusty Excel spreadsheet - it served me so well for thirteen years, but when the students come in on Tuesday for my fourteenth first day of school, their score will no longer be recorded via the world's greatest record keeping program.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    ... the district's new student information system/attendance/gradebook that is entirely in the cloud. I'll have to say goodbye to my trusty Excel spreadsheet - it served me so well for thirteen years, but when the students come in on Tuesday for my fourteenth first day of school, their score will no longer be recorded via the world's greatest record keeping program.
    Be cautious. We have an online program (not really cloud-based) and I have found so many errors and how it calculates scores is inconvenient at best (don't even TRY to input extra credit or rubric and points scores, no matter how it should go in correctly); I still go with the tried-and-true, but just type in numbers to that online gradebook. Usually, it is correct. Usually. Right now, its email feature and teacher sites are on the fritz. They "updated" it THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL BEGAN to a version that is worse than what worked decently before. And WE adults are supposed to be the experts...

Good luck (seriously) with your new school year, Maradona! Fourteen is twice seven; a doubly-lucky year!

Thanks for the wise words of advice and well-wishes, BCJ. I'm reluctant to let a new, impersonal system take the scores and calculate the grades, so I'll likely have some form of backup.

It's not "two books," but with enough teachers mentioning how their electronic gradebook goes "missing" at times, I still keep a paper one, that I type in online. I, too, used to use Excel, but don't always have access to it away from my classroom/computer (I just will NOT bring a tablet/laptop with me while waiting at places like oil changes and car repairs, DMV waiting, etc.).