Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation Brand new Pirates and more for 2009

pirates be back. ARRRRRRR plus city, indiana jones and star wars and creator and stuff.
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...i?f=337640&n=0

Pirate Impulse 2009 (Pirate Survival)
    Pirate New-Pirates (Cannon Battle)
    Pirate New-Pirates (Kraken Attackin')
    Pirate New-Pirates (Loot Island)
    Pirate New-Pirates (Soldiers' Fort)
    Pirate New-Pirates (Brickbeard's Bounty)
    Pirate New-Pirates (Shipwreck Hideout)

Mini figure scale pirate has returned! Oh this is a good day. These pictures are killer. I like these sets. It's a nice up date and well balanced mix of the cartoony and realistic. The names are pretty dumb, but you can't win them all.

This thread should really merged with the other '09 thread.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Those look sick....I also liked the farming equipment and the construction stuff as well.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Holy frickin bleepy bleepity, didn't think I'd see the day that they returned to the old ways of the Pirate sets! The only bad part is the apparent lack of string on the ship, I miss the string-laden appearance of the older ship sets, it added a very nice touch to it. Still, looks better than the Red Beard Runner. I have to say I prefer the old sharks though.

...and the pirate in the blue vest appears to be nude from the waist down.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

hope you saved the pics coz the gallery is gone now.

i'm not sure about the pirates stuff. i think it's a late attempt to buy back some consumers from mega bloks. as well as nodding to pirate enthusiasts. some of the same and some new. the ship is ok but lacks something. though the figurehead is fantastic. the gold epaulettes on the captains is cool and the telescope piece cast in gold looks nifty. maybe for a certain somebody who recently constructed a cathedral?

the smaller pirate sets look odd. that huge burp base thing in tan is just horrible well in that picture. a few of them would make for a good dirt track and dunes for those into racers though.

the parrot. I like the idea of pressing two colours together to get a blended bicolour piece but i also think the parrot deserves some tampo printed details. I love the classic parrot for that.

I hope the pirate stuff takes off for them. and more arrives in 2010 with a better ship and maybe a proper fort or pirate harbour hangout. a tavern for the crew to relax in and a port authority building for the soldiers. more palm trees and new vegetation. it's a tropical setting!

Construction vehicles are very big. and not really very attractive. sure CAT vehicles aren't pretty but as these models are based on CAT like designs they could be less creator/technical looking. the construction site with three vehicles and modular building chunks looks absolutely the sort of thing that could sell and sell.

Farm. with a cow. A COW!!!!! yay. erm, i like the look and feel of this subtheme. the farm set itself has cool vehicles and buildings that don't look wrong made from a small number of parts. the combine harvester is huge and the blades at the front are cleverly done. it looks like it'll be fun to build too. the range rover 4x4 with horse trailer is a great looking set that's neither roughed together or too girly. what really counts is the 4x4 which is really well done. look forward to downloading the instructions for that.

the big red tractor is nicely modern and though it could stand thickening up at the front the rest looks great. for anyone who can still remember being a young kid playing with a toy tractor i say this is the tractor to get. though for the more traditional the farm set tractor might suit you better.

Indiana jones. The flying wing set is ok. fairly well represents the scene from the movie. just doesn't look terribly interesting. mostly grey indy, marion, the pilot and the beefy german dude. the shanghai chase set looks great though. the sinister black car of the thugs and a whole elliot ness feel and then the sporty car for indy and willie. not forgetting shortround. the thugs having black fedoras is a nice touch. definitely one I'll grab.

mixed bunch really. the three year old in me wants the farm while the teenage me wants the indiana jones and the adult me wants to play god and create a whole lego city. so this lot just about covers it really.

no scans of the castle sets showed up yet though. or the new agents sets. have to keep my eyes peeled for when they show up.

Wow, that medieval market is awesome. And reasonably priced at $100 too! I've never had more than a passing interest in Castle, but I'm definitely getting one of these sets.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I saw this set on BrickShelf Thursday night and nearly got up and danced around. It's just too cool. Lego is firing on cylinders didn't even know they had. From looking at the photos I'm not sure this set is missing anything. It looks nearly perfect. What ever Lego has been doing the last couple of years, they're got me pumped for '09.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"

there's so much to like with the set. from the cows and roast bird, to the pirate telescope piece used as market stall canopy supports, to the fish to the female minifigs and the big tree. the first proper brick built tree in a set if i'm not mistaken.

it's going to be a bit expensive for my budget but there's just too much good stuff to pass on. add the jester from the advent calender for this year to the set and maybe a couple more stalls, a bit of castle wall and it would be perfect. but it's still darn excellent as it is. and yeah, i got butterflies in my belly when i first saw the pics. which is a definite sign that i have to have the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    there's so much to like with the set. from the cows and roast bird, to the pirate telescope piece used as market stall canopy supports, to the fish to the female minifigs and the big tree.
    I love lot the little details. It looks much more like a fan build set than an official Lego release. But Lego has been much, much better about this in recent years after a long period of slipping. The bed with a quilt, bread and cheese, the tree has apples and flowers, the fireplaces, the frog by the water wheel, the farm animals. It's the little things that really aid in a like this. Sure they could have dropped many of these details and it be a good set at a lower price, but it would feel empty.

The Coner Cafe is a great example. It's a great set, but it's empty. There's nothing on the inside. I know Lego wants you use some imagination and build your own interior (something do way to little of this days), but there's not a kernel to start from. But the Green Grocer has that. Sure there room for improvement, like most sets, but you have the starting point. Whether you choose to start there or not doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo
    the first proper brick built tree in a set if i'm not mistaken.
    So the trees from 10069, 4727, 4766, 6054, 6077, 10184 and three or four other I'm not thinking of off hand don't count? This tree really is the best to date, but I hardly think it's the first.