Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Misc (Grievous, R2, Jedi Starfighter)

When I first saw the CW General Grievous, I thought it looked pretty cool. But after tearing it out of its package, I'm not really too fond of it. I can't get it to stand up because of how it was designed. The top is too heavy, the waist is too narrow, and the feet/claws don't touch the ground properly. The record I have for the longest standing goes to the Holographic Grievous with only two arms, who stood for 4 days before tumbling over mysteriously in the middle of the night. The four armed Grievous can't stand for more than a day. It's disappointing. I've tried to balance out the top half so that it won't fall forward or backward, but nothing works. Anybody else run into the same troubles? Any solutions?

Aside from the standing issues, I can't get him to hold the lightsabers properly. Maybe the upcoming Legacy Collection Grievous will be better.

I like all of the little features on R2 but I found the most perfect spot for the figure. The droid socket on the ARC-170. Since the CW R2 is smaller (shorter) than the rest of the astromech droids that have been made, it fits into the droid socket like I'd hoped and wanted the other droids to. It doesn't hang out obnoxiously and it isn't all that loose. For those of you who have an ARC-170, try it out.

Lastly, you knew it was only a matter of time before Hasbro found another way to re-release the Jedi Starfighter. I'm not too much in the loop, but you can see it here. Hasbro, of course, incorrectly called it the Delta-2 (a mash up of Delta-7 and Eta-2), but that has since been "fixed" by calling it the Delta-7B. The only differences being that the droid socket is in front of the ****-pit and the lasers are mounted on the exterior of the ship. Who am I kidding, I'll probably still pick one up. I don't remember from the movie, but I thought they still showed the red R3 flying with Obi-Wan (not R2), so I wonder if Hasbro has any plans to make another astromech droid in the CW style.

Quote Originally Posted by FundingMyAddiction View Post
    Lastly, you knew it was only a matter of time before Hasbro found another way to re-release the Jedi Starfighter. I'm not too much in the loop, but you can see it here. Hasbro, of course, incorrectly called it the Delta-2 (a mash up of Delta-7 and Eta-2), but that has since been "fixed" by calling it the Delta-7B. The only differences being that the droid socket is in front of the ****-pit and the lasers are mounted on the exterior of the ship.

Dude!
    That isn't a re-release!!!
    That's a totally new tooling!!!
    Amazing.
    The design is very different from the normal Delta-7.
    Bar.

It doesn't look like it has the pull off side panels that the previous version did. Also wouldn't the astromech droid get in the way of the pilot's field of vision?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    It doesn't look like it has the pull off side panels that the previous version did. Also wouldn't the astromech droid get in the way of the pilot's field of vision?
    A craft like this would only be flown by Jedi, and presumably they have more senses to call upon than their eyes.
    And even modern day fighter craft tend to be flown on instruments more than MKI Eyeball.
    Bar.

The missile-launchers designed that way are also new, and the whole upper section that used to be aerodynamic is now a weird brick in the wind.

Hasbro said at SDCC that the nose pulls out to give it more of an ROTS JSF look. So it has enough going on that I'm probably going to buy it.

I do think it's stupid to have the droid mounted in front of the cockpit, it was lazy and dopey on the first Clone Wars JSF (the Anakin Modified batplane) and it's still not working.

I keep being tempted by CW Grievous, and then I read posts like this and realize I have better things to do with my money and collection space.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar View Post
    Dude!
    That isn't a re-release!!!
    That's a totally new tooling!!!
    Amazing.
    The design is very different from the normal Delta-7.
    Bar.
    Obviously it's different, as I pointed out. But at the end of the day, we're still going to be forking money over to buy ANOTHER version of Obi-Wan's red Jedi Starfighter, rather than a new ship like say, The Twilight. Of course, that's coming from someone who owns every single version they made of the Delta-7.

I'm glad they've gotten rid of the detachable side panels. They were the weakest part of the other Delta 7's.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Hasbro said at SDCC that the nose pulls out to give it more of an ROTS JSF look. So it has enough going on that I'm probably going to buy it.

I keep being tempted by CW Grievous, and then I read posts like this and realize I have better things to do with my money and collection space.
    It'll be interesting to see how the nose-action feature is executed. I hadn't heard that but it could be interesting.

As far as Grievous, you'll definitely want a pass on this version of him. I tried one more time to get him to stand up and he absolutely will not. I have to find some "unique" way to display him now (ie he's dead on the ground with Anakin/Obi-Wan standing over him).

Obviously it's different, as I pointed out. But at the end of the day, we're still going to be forking money over to buy ANOTHER version of Obi-Wan's red Jedi Starfighter, rather than a new ship like say, The Twilight. Of course, that's coming from someone who owns every single version they made of the Delta-7.

I'm glad they've gotten rid of the detachable side panels. They were the weakest part of the other Delta 7's.
    Agreed!
    Although, according to popular myth, George Lucas saw those panels on the Delta- toy and that's the reason the ETA-2 had them!!!
    I sooo hated those ones that i vacformed my own version to stop mine falling apart!!!

As far as Grievous, you'll definitely want a pass on this version of him. I tried one more time to get him to stand up and he absolutely will not. I have to find some "unique" way to display him now (ie he's dead on the ground with Anakin/Obi-Wan standing over him).
    I know this might be against your principles, but have you ever heard of Neodymium magnets?
    If you get some really small coin shaped versions(About maybe 3mm wide by .5mm thick), you will be able to glue one set to Grievous' feet, and another to a small non-descript base, and he will stand easily.
    If you NEED him to stand, it's one answer.
    This is also a great idea if you have "Clone-Wars Spider-Droids-Walking-Down-A-Mountain" style dioramas. These magnets are STRONG. And they can be easily found on Ebay.
    Bar.

It's not a myth that the wings on the Ep 3 JSF are there because of Hasbro's design, but I dunno if it was Lucas personally, more likely it was someone on the ILM design team.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's not a myth that the wings on the Ep 3 JSF are there because of Hasbro's design, but I dunno if it was Lucas personally, more likely it was someone on the ILM design team.

Sorry. Extremely bad choice of words on my part! I MEANT to write: "According to popular THEORY..." in my previous post!
    I was at work, and typing too fast!!!
    Bar.

Finally found a Grievous to open tonight (the only one I had was a "day 1" sticker one I got at midnight madness...so I wanted to wait and get an opener)...anyhow...I don't know what's going on with the one that Funding got, but this one stands great! I like it that it's not that soft plastic the BD's and SbD's are usually made from that warp and fall over right away...

He's lacking in articulation (like most of the figures in this line) but since he stands well, that's fine. His "pinhead" look is...different, but I'm liking this interpretation of him...can't wait to see him in action on the show...

And I'm really liking the new Starfighter. I don't think the droid socket is that distracting...my thought was "Now we can see who the real pilot is" and I always found that side one on the earlier version kinda odd anyway...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grievous03.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	18176