Definition of a vintage star wars figure

I know this sounds like an almost trivial question, but what would you classify as a vintage figure?

For me the frase Vintage Figure as related to a star wars figure is any figure made from 1977-1986 or so.

However, I have seen on E-bay figures that came out as recently as when Revenge of the sith came out reffered to as being a vintage star wars figure.

A lot of people seem to refer to it as figures from around episode 1 on back as being vintage, and on rare occasion I'v seen the term used to describe figures that just aren't mass produced anymore.

So what do you think?

[FONT=Courier New]When I hear the term Vintage Star Wars, I think of anything made before 1989. The hard plastic Kenner figures with 5 points of articulation and all of the associated vehicles and accessories.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]That's how I define Vintage SW.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Most people would consider it to be the Kenner line that lasted until about 1985, including all figures, vehicles, and accessories.

My guess is the folks using the term to describe anything else are either unaware of the generally accepted meaning, or are dishonest and hoping to target buyers who are unaware and drive up the prices.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I've seen a few Ebay auctions for the 1997 A-Wing Fighter that are trying to sell it as the "Rare Droids Vintage A-Wing Fighter." Some will even mention that it says "Hasbro 1997" on the inside of the wing.

So, I think Chux is right, it could either be that they are totally clueless or trying to pull a scam.

The funny thing about it is that the POTF line was only about 10 years old when it earned the term "vintage" in the mid-90s. The Droids and Ewoks lines were only 9 years old. The earliest ROTJ figures were 12 years old in 1995.

Now that the 1995 POTF2 line has reached 13 years old, we might need to redefine the term "vintage" soon.

I think "neo-classic" works for figures released from 1994-1998 (Micro Machines were released in 1994). "Prequel era" would cover everything from 1999-2005. Then 2006 until now would just be called the "modern era."
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I still consider everything from 1995 on to be the modern era, even though the early ones are getting more dated all the time. I don't think there really needs to be a major reclassification or "re-boot" of the line, especially since they still reissue some POTF2 figures. And I see the 1978-1985 line as being completely different.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram