Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan

Didn't think this was out yet, but I found a copy of it today at B&N. It's just like the R.Wyndam Vader book (with the cardboard slip cover over the hardback book). Will start it after I finish the 2nd Coruscant Nights book (whch has been pretty good so far).

But I will post a POTENTIAL SPOILER below, only because it's on the back of the slip cover...

Quote Originally Posted by an inanimate book, unable to speak or type
    This is the legendary story of Obi-Wan Kenobi, from his first meeting with Anakin Skywalker to his final meeting with Darth Vader - and beyond...
    Wow. I am tempted to ignore my job responsibilities and get started on this.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

"post-death, day 276 - sitting around in limbo doing nothing some more. Man is it boring in here. You can only talk to Yoda so many times before it gets tiresome."
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

"Post-Death, Day 962: Too long with only Yoda to talk to, I have been. Talking backwards I am. Or forwards, from a certain point of view it is, hmmm? Hee hee hee hee hee!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

"Post-Death, Day 2: Wait a sec...no chicks? Just Yoda and Qui-Gon's disembodied voice? I was celibate for like 60 years for over 60 years and I get rewarded with a muppet and a voice?

F*ck."
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

"Post-death day 11,381,138: Wait... what have they done with the Force? This isn't the Force I knew. Wait, the Sith are back?!? Then why did I sacrifice myself? Dude, I am SO glad I'm not alive right now!"

I just picked up both the Vader and Obi wan books at Books-a-million. I am leaving in the morning for Pennsylvania so I need something to read. I hope they are both good reads.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Wow. I am tempted to ignore my job responsibilities and get started on this.
    And so I did. Not enough grading, more reading, I say. Finished this yesterday; even though Wyndam writes for a youth audience, it's pretty well constructed. His use of verbatum movie dialogue makes his stories seem to be in between scene wipes or clips of conversations.

Some "spoilers," I suppose:

- that Chadri-Fan Jedi and I have something in nommoc...
    - how "Ben" gets his name is pretty cool (well done, Mr. Wyndam)
    - Obi-Wan is somewhat vindicated for his "lies" he tells; good way to empathize with his guilt and responsibility
    - the origin of the "thumbprint" lock is a bit out there, but still semi-effective as a plot device

Overall, I liked it. I heard there's supposed to be a third book (like these Vader and Kenobi ones) coming out later, but I fail to recall the character right now.

I enjoyed the Vader book. I have yet to start on the Kenobi book, because I am trying to finish a book I am reading on the Alamo. In a few days I should be done, I suppose.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    ... because I am trying to finish a book I am reading on the Alamo. In a few days I should be done, I suppose.
    I was going to read an Alamo book once, but... I forgot?

Texas citizens, you may hunt me down starting... now. In a few days, I should be done, too.

someday i'll get around to reading this one. and someday i'll read jedi nights (but the 3rd one will be out by then). and someday i'll even get the njo books and legacy series read (which should happen sooner)