Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ahh GREAT to hear- Both of you get well soon- you have no reason to not be getting in shape for summer in the real near future!!

And yes, to Mr.Donor, I always thought you were a really fine fellow, but this... "above and beyond" is not a strong enough decription for what you have done to make this outcome possible. Thank you for making such a powerful gesture in the name of utterly selfless humanity (not trying to be corny, it is honestly almost too heavy for words to express- and I have a funny feeling Mr.Donor will INSIST it was nothing anyway which almost makes it even more touching) You'll be twisting them droids again in no time!!

Okay I gotta go think of a good poop joke and get the dust outta my eye
    Iso&Baws

awesome news indeed
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Steve let the cat out of the bag...

Star Wars Fan Gives Kidney to Fellow Fan

We take a break from the Star Wars news to let you know how strong "The Force" really is with the Star Wars community.

Josh "Tycho" Weisleberg has been part of the SirStevesGuide.com community for well over a decade, starting not long after I launched the site. Josh was first known for his newsletters regarding the world of Star Wars comics and books (as well as a die-hard Hasbro collector and diorama builder) until an inherited kidney disorder put him in a coma for months and his longterm health took a sharp turn. So he put aside the newsletter to concentrate on dealing with his health, keeping active in the forums, and eventually even writing a book, while waiting on the donor list for a new kidney. It took the generosity of a fellow Star Wars fan, nearly 3 years, dialysis, and one disheartening false start, but as of February 3rd, 2009, his transplant was successful.

The donor (or should I say hero) in this is Barry "bobafrett" Benecke. Barry gave the greatest gift one can give: life. Barry, a father, Star Wars collector, and member of the 501st Legion with several costumes, had never met Josh in person before but they were both active in the Forum. The need for donor kidneys is enormous in this country, there is a kidney waiting list of 90,000 people which had greatly limited Josh's chances, and when his health took a fast downturn in 2006, Barry felt compelled to help out a buddy in such dire need and offered to donate his own kidney, and it's simply amazing that everything worked out. I know there had been ups and downs, Barry had to undergo test after test to ensure that he was a good match, take time off from work, his family feared that he might not survive the kidney donation surgery, plus there were several trips from Barry's hometown of Chicago out to San Diego, all to help out a fellow Star Wars fan. Barry, you are truly a special person!

We at SirStevesGuide.com wanted to say that this site has brought a lot of entertainment to the world of Star Wars, but knowing it was a vehicle to bring a kidney to someone in need is something that I and the staff are most proud of. Even though I never thought that a simple Star Wars web site would have such an impact on someone's life, I am certainly thrilled and amazed that it has. I get to see Josh ever year at the San Diego Comic-Con and I am looking forward to seeing him back to his old self. After talking with him this morning, I can already tell he's coming around. He told me his surgeon, Dr. Christopher Marsh, even wore a Darth Vader "May The Force Be With You!" T-Shirt during surgery!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Rest up Tycho, we'll see you back here soon.

Then I will start bugging you to get that book published!!! I want to read it!!!
    May the force be with you.

He mentioned that he needs to get back to his editor soon, so his eyes are on the future and you likely will be seeing his book (or books, as the case most likely will be, I kid you not), at some point.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

his eyes are on the future and you likely will be seeing his book (or books, as the case most likely will be, I kid you not), at some point.
    That is fantastic!
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    That is fantastic!
    Well, reserve that judgment until you read them. J/k

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have to give major props to Bobafrett for stepping up and doing this, waiting 3 years to help a friend he hadn't even met in person before, putting his life on the line. Barry's the MAN! He had to put up with so much, and even being the stand up guy he is, it amazes me that someone could be so generous towards a casual acquaintance, especially at personal risk and knowing the outcome for him with the best success will still mean months of recovery from this surgery. We all know he got married during this ordeal, his poor new wife having to fear possibly losing her husband merely to help a near stranger from her perspective. So for him to go through all of this, that is truly amazing and it takes an incredible strength of character to do what Barry's done here. There aren't enough ways to congratulate him for this.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So is Tycho done now or does he have to go back for another kidney surgery sometime in the future? I could of swore I read something from Tycho either in the forums or someplace else where he mentioned he'd have to keep his bad kidneys till they were certain the donated one wouldn't be rejected and that as long as the bad ones were there he could still have problems.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I knew Barry was the donor, but I didn't know it was in planning that long! I will reiterate what an amazing thing that was of you to do.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

That's awesome - Frett's always been a pretty great guy, but this puts him up in hero status!
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    That's awesome - Frett's always been a pretty great guy, but this puts him up in hero status!
    That's exactly how I felt. I've always liked Barry.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!