Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
    That's very cool Barry, and you are very deserving.

My best reward for you is to keep on living in great health now - which I am getting along quite well with!

I picked up the latest issue of the insider magazine, they had the story of Eric and Jeff, but both Josh and I are mentioned in the article! Read up my mateys!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    A couple pictures of the awards that I got from the 501st Legion of Stormtroopers, which I was honored to recieve. The first on is the "2008 Trooper of the Year" which I got the award in the mail just a couple of days ago, though the surgery was in 2009. The second was the "January trooper of the month" even though the surgery went down in early February. I have the awards on my desk.
    Very cool, congrats on receiving the awards! Soooo shiny. Weird about the dates being off, but still cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    I picked up the latest issue of the insider magazine, they had the story of Eric and Jeff, but both Josh and I are mentioned in the article! Read up my mateys!
    I'll have to read it at the store.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's the Yoda cover one? I've seen that but only glanced through it. I would have loved to read up on Eric and Jeff. I have to write them.

Yes, it's toward the back like our story was in the Bantha Tracks section. CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! SWEEP THE NATS! Sorry, that just happened as I was typing this.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I'm volunteering to help other kidney patients see hope now.

I got the doctor's permission to take a young man my own age out of the rehabilitation hospital and bring him to the Padres game.

We had an adventure as one of the tire treads came off a wheel for his chair but we got it back on with the help of two other guys I called over to help us. It reaffirmed my faith that there remains some good people still out there.

Then we got in on time for the first inning and stayed to the very last and had a great time. The Padres won 3-1 against the Colorado Rockies.

However, Edgar Gonzales, our 2nd baseman, was struck by a pitch in his head and it knocked his batting helmet off it hit so hard. He fell down and didn't move for 5 minutes. Then he chose to sit up and ride out on the medical evacuation vehicle the paramedics sent out for him (I know I hate lying down when I'm really dizzy, too). His younger brother, our All-Star Adrian Gonzales, immediately left the game to ride with his family in the ambulance. I'm sending a card to Edgar. You can get a concussion that serious and seem alright and then have your condition take a sudden turn for the worst, like it did with Natasha Richardson, Liam Neeson's wife who died from a skiing accident recently. I'll pray Edgar's alright. He plays so hard for our team in San Diego, and he and his brother (who gets most of the fame and credit) are both local boys. Edgar is 33 - pretty much about the average age of a huge group of us here on SSG.

I'm watching the sports news to find out if he's going to be OK. It was a really bad hit.

But my friend I took out from the hospital really enjoyed his furlough and I got him a Padres retro-style hat with his ticket (see picture) and he was calling everyone on his cellphone to tell them he got to go to the game. It really made him happy. He's going to need a kidney transplant like I got, but a pancreas transplant as well. His affliction with diabetes caused him to recently have to lose his leg from just below the knee. I know it causes him a lot of pain and I was glad I could provide him with the distraction for a while.

Hehe. Most of the hospital volunteers are older, retired folks. I'm known as "the party guy," and at the risk of sounding immodest, I've become kind of a popular volunteer to visit patients.

Barry gave me a second chance, as did life itself (because my transplant worked). Now I must use that chance to do right for others as has been done for me.

This includes famous baseball players, too. Edgar's get-well card goes in the mail tomorrow.

Here's a video clip of the action. This is scary.

In an update: Edgar went home today and will be on a two-weeks disabled list
    and required to have a few more CT-scans and MRIs before he can be back on the active starting lineup again. He still has ringing in his ears. Sad and unfortunate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Padres vs Rockies Game 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	20867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edgar Gonzales.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	20868  

Given Tycho's posts of late, I think we can officially declare his health status as:

FIESTY!

Which we all know is a very good thing!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

^Amen....he puts the Fie in Fiesty!
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

I will return to the baseball diamond this Sunday at 12 noon!

I haven't played since July 2005.

Thanks to BobaFrett, that will now change.

Maybe I'll start a separate thread with my offense and defense records, my baseball card, and team statistics, or maybe I'll just post them here.

It's kind of a different topic as it's not so much about just my personal health's performance as much as it will be about my team's performance.

Overall, I can't wait to play! I have been wishing and dreaming for this day to come!

Batter up! Play ball!

Have fun, Tycho! I can relate with missing the game, although I haven't played in over a decade. What position will you be?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"