Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast
    Well, it has been one year since I was just getting up, getting ready to go to Scripps green hospital to help a friend. As I write this, I think back to that morning, remembering how early it was, wondering if I'd find my way to the place okay. The prep work, as they fit me in my hospital dressings. It's hard to believe how quickly time flew since then. What a good friend I have in Josh.

And now for something completely different, it's Jedi Josh, and Stormtrooper Barry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to draw a stormtrooper008.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	22491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to draw a stormtrooper009.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	22492  
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Yeah, funny. Barry's smiling because he's going to "Order-66 me!"

Actually, I just phoned you 'Frett. Today is the anniversary of the day 'Frett saved my life!

I am so grateful - there's nothing I can post here to express it. But trust me.

Actually tomorrow, is my 1 year anniversary check-up to find out how everything's been going.

What I can tell you: I gained a little weight - less than 10 lbs and I'm eating better and working it off. I think it's all gone now and all my pants fit me.

I get a little colder now - but it is winter. I like it 77 instead of 75 - but that could just mean that my heater isn't reading the temp right. When I was badly anaemic, I liked the temp 85! Everyone who's stayed with me for Comic Con or whatnot can attest to that and remember those days: having you over for dinner meant cooking YOU for dinner! Not any more. 2 degrees and 3lbs are probably not cause for alarm, but we'll see what the rest results are.

I'll know some immediately tomorrow. The biopsy results I may have to wait a week for as some tissue is sent out to a specialty lab.

I was actually going to post in this thread when I logged on this morning.

I think Barry and I might have also shared a brain. I bought a stormtrooper armor hoodie from Ecko (and got Barry a matching one). Now if he has any sudden urges to find his Mouse Droids (packed in with Death Star Droids and R4-M9's just for quick reference Barry ) we can suspect with more certainty.

Anyway, I truly cannot be greatful enough.

'Frett, I'll speak with you later on today I'm sure. That will be me you hear wearing down the battery on your phone.

Catch up with you here or there, somewhere. Talk to you soon.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Wow, hard to believe it's been a whole year!!! So, how has a year with only 1 kidney been to you, Barry? I hope well. I know they have been for the other guy who ended up with your kidney, ol' whatshisname.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Actually, I just phoned you 'Frett. Today is the anniversary of the day 'Frett saved my life!
    Speakin' of calls I tried to call you Josh on your cell but nobody answered. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

It's tought to believe it's been a year already! It doesn't even seem like it's been a year since I first met Josh but it's over a year and a half since that. I still have to see the after Josh since I've already seen the before. I'll drink one (or a few more than that) to your health fella.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Thanks Nick. I was in the hospital for the better part of the day today and there's no reception in some areas - especially where I was having my check-up. You can try tomorrow - especially in California's evening hours as tomorrow I'm finally getting out with a friend who has been very busy and we're seeing Avatar during the day (hopefully). It would be my second time. (Excellent movie!) This guy is a dad and works and helps his wife with their twins, so he has to arrange for a babysitter and all that good stuff, so he has never seen the movie.

The good news is the bloodwork suggests I am doing excellent and am a model patient 1 year after transplant. (Thank you BobaFrett!)

I have to wait for the news from the biopsy results until tomorrow or next week, but my doctors seemed to suggest that with my labwork being excellent, it is almost a slam-dunk that my new kidney is doing just fine. I take very good care of myself because a second chance like this is a rare find!

I am being almost discharged from my transplant hospital and will see the transplant team's nephrologist quarterly for check-ups. That and I'm slowly transitioning back to my old kidney doctor (also a Scripps doctor at the hospital down the road from the one where I had my transplant). There I'll see him quarterly as well - but alternate months from the ones where I see the transplant team's people.

So probably 8 regularly scheduled doctor visits planned for the year. Pretty awesome considering how I started off going nearly every other day in previous years.

Also I will still be going to the hospital as a volunteer, since I feel I have to give back to the world for this gift of life I got, and I continue to work with other kidney patients and help counsel them through the stages to their recovery - especially picking them up when they first learn of their dilemma and need someone to talk to that's been through it. I now have volunteered with nearly 20 patients!

(Eventually, I will have my master's degree in social work and probably do this for my career - at the same hospital. They like me.)

Meanwhile, my novel has turned a huge page towards another success story - but that's for another thread.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Way to go guys Glad to hear you both are doing well a year later.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Josh, that's great news! Jamie (my coordinator before the surgery) called and asked if I had gone in for my 1 year follow up. I told her I hadn't recieved any paperwork to let me know what tests they wanted me to get done. She is sending out the paperwork again, and she wished me a happy anniversary on the one year since this event happened.

You are one of the nicest guys I know, and you have become a great friend. Plus I got to see California, which was awesome. We don't have palm trees here.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

'FRETT: You have a free trip back to California any time you want it. Let me know. But I recommend coming for Comic Con, though I'll need to pull in a favor to get you in now because they are sold out.

Or instead, you can have a trip to Florida for Celebration 5. No worries about getting tickets or a hotel or anything. I already covered all that for myself and I can take you if it can work out.

Either place has palm trees

(And yes, you can wait a year and take me up on my offer for Comic Con 2011 if you prefer. I don't know if they'll have a Celebration 6. Also you can come to SD any other time. There doesn't have to be a convention.)

Meanwhile, my reasoning is that we can hang out with a lot of other folks from the site here if we could plan a trip together during a convention. Sure you can come early or stay late so we can do other things. A baseball game should be "a must." The Padres will be away during San Diego's Comic Con though. They're playing Pittsburgh when the Con comes to my town. I have no idea what the Marlins are doing or where their stadium is compared to Orlando. It doesn't matter really, as I plan to stay in Florida for 2 weeks including the convention. I've just never been to Florida. I heard their palm trees are different from my own. Hehe.