Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I'm looking forward to it. Not quite in the same was as the movies, but I'll enjoy watching it. I'm more interested in seeing what they do with the live action series. I sort of felt that another Clone Wars was unnecessary because they already had an animated series and tons of books and comics.

I'd like to get the Force Unleashed game, but I don't have a new console that will play it. If it comes out for the Mac, maybe I'll get it if I can meet the system requirements.

I'm so far behind on the reading of books and comics, but I keep getting them. Someday I'll get around to going through them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Hmm. I thought I enjoyed those but only because, unlike the prequels, they weren't pretending to be anything other than a cartoon. With the sheer amount of CG in the films I don't know why they bothered with real actors at all. But this doesn't say much for Clone Wars. Its just mindless repetitive action which I've heard the CG film is aswell. On that basis I feel I can skip the follow-on TV show for definite
    I was actually referring to the recent CG cartoon; but I went in expecting it to be a 90 minute toy commercial and got exactly that.

If you watch the first seasons of the Droids and Ewoks cartoons (in the case of Droids, the only season), then you will see that they were no different. A-Wing's were everywhere in Droids, because Kenner was trying to sell the A-Wing toy. There was an entire episode of Ewoks devoted to the Ewok Battle Wagon, because they needed a way to tie the toy into the TV series.

Then there was breakdancing Artoo, the "Material Girl" Ewok (Latara), along with many other aspects of the show that were definitive products of '80s pop culture. Regardless of all of that, the cartoons were still enjoyable.

The difference with CG Clone Wars is just a matter of production values; but any "crimes against Star Wars" that are being committed were initially committed over 20 years ago.

I am really looking forward to seeing this new series of Clone Wars, to me the only crimes that have been commited is the Making of the Prequel Movies (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and to a lesser degree Revenge of the Sith).

With the Clone Wars it takes Star Wars back to where it should have been always, it is fun Pop Corn Action Adventure (reminds me of the old flash gordon serials, just like the originals did).

The Prequels pretty much killed anything prior to the New Hope for me, I still think most of it is pap, but I do like the Republic Comics (that deal with the Clone Wars bits) and Clone Wars Adventure Comics.

Like BB said Droids and Ewok Cartoons rocked back in the day, and in my humble opinion still do.

Also I love anything set after the ROTJ as well, never read the KOTOR stuff - however I have read all of the Tales of the Jedi and these rock as well, Legacy never read it looks as if its got some interesting characters in it however.

I loved the Ewoks and Droids cartoons. I think I was always a bigger fan of the Ewoks series, even though it completely rebooted itself after season 1.

After reading the complaints about Ahsoka, Ziro the Hutt, and the Battle Droid dialog from The Clone Wars, I couldn't help but remember this segment from the old Ewoks cartoon (a little over a minute in, when they meet the Sun King):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Ps_...watch_response

There's nothing new under the sun (or the Sun King) here. Star Wars has been goofy since the very beginning. I don't care about continuity or accuracy to EU sources, it's about fun and after I watched the CW movie, I realized that Star Wars was finally fun again.

The whole clone wars/young anakin era has been bled dry for me, to say nothing of my opinion that it turned out nothing like the OT implied.

As I said before I would want to see TIE fighters and stormtroopers again if anything but I just have no confidence that it'll be handled well. I think it'll more likely match up to the PT in its quality and tone than the OT. Star Wars is just not what it used to be. The OT is still what it used to be but theres been nothing but let-downs and forcefully lowered expectations ever since.

Empire magazine had an aricle on the clone wars this month in which there was a quote that originated from the producer saying that the "The Clone Wars" replaces the continuity of "Clone Wars". This is my problem with what has happened to the Star Wars mythology. It has become something like Star Trek. It remains to be seen whether the reboot is going to save that franchise. The only thing Star Wars is missing now is parallel universes and time travel to explain all the paradoxes and continuity problems. It used to be fun to analyze the story elements of Star Wars, but now that history is being rewritten in order to sell more and more merchandise why even bother. And I'm not talking about EU either. I'm talking stuff that is considered canon, Lucas sanctioned, stories. Seems to me a better term would be semi-canon. Or canon until I can figure out a way to remarket a new story that kinda sorta adheres to Star Wars but not really. It depends on your perspective. Your point of view. I'm just waiting for it to be revealed that Vader really wasn't Luke's father and that young boba fett REALLY grew up to be Han Solo.

I think a Wookie Christmas special sequel will boost my apathy exponentially!

Actually, I just re-watched the 2D animated clone wars series with my son and I loved it again! I really liked the ghost hand story with Anakin, especially his ominous vision in the cave paintings....

My kids ironically dig the OT movies over the NT movies, but don't seem to have a preference over toys....as long as there's a lightsaber and plenty of Vaders to go around!

I would like to see George back off a little and share the reigns with other minds....he's like the guy who paints a beautiful picture, then overworks it with more and more detail until the canvas gets so muddy you lose the first strokes of genius.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    Empire magazine had an aricle on the clone wars this month in which there was a quote that originated from the producer saying that the "The Clone Wars" replaces the continuity of "Clone Wars". This is my problem with what has happened to the Star Wars mythology. It has become something like Star Trek. It remains to be seen whether the reboot is going to save that franchise. The only thing Star Wars is missing now is parallel universes and time travel to explain all the paradoxes and continuity problems. It used to be fun to analyze the story elements of Star Wars, but now that history is being rewritten in order to sell more and more merchandise why even bother. And I'm not talking about EU either. I'm talking stuff that is considered canon, Lucas sanctioned, stories. Seems to me a better term would be semi-canon. Or canon until I can figure out a way to remarket a new story that kinda sorta adheres to Star Wars but not really. It depends on your perspective. Your point of view. I'm just waiting for it to be revealed that Vader really wasn't Luke's father and that young boba fett REALLY grew up to be Han Solo.
    Do you have a link to that? I've read a few times that Filoni said this takes place kind of alongside the first series, not replaces it.

Hmm. Interesting philosophical question.

As a lot of people my age, we were quite young (me in 2nd grade) when the original Star Wars came out in 1977. As kids, we didn't have a lot to compare Star Wars to except the random Disney movie that we were allowed to see at that time. Movies like "The Cat From Outer Space" and of course all of the animated films from then were nothing like Star Wars.

As kids, we weren't really interested in examining complicated things like story. All we knew was that it was all so very "cool!" The toys came soon after and we all embraced it in a lot of ways.

Then in 1980 we were all just a little older when Empire came out. It wasn't just a dumb rehash of the first, but a true continuation of the story that offered all the cool stuff we loved from three years ago and so much more.

As much as so many people love to complain about Return of the Jedi, the truth is that it was just as well received at the time as the previous two. It offered a really fun, fast paced, "cool" story with even more cool stuff that Kenner could make into toys. NOBODY was complaining about any of it then.

We all got older and our toy collections got put into boxes as we finished school, moved from home, got married, and started careers. Then the news that GL would release a brand new episode, going back to the Prequel story that was well hinted at in the original trilogy. Who wouldn't be excited?

The first new toys to come out in so many years were the Galoob mini environments. They were cool enough, but more importantly, they were Star Wars! After this many years we were getting brand new toys! How awesome!

Then came the new Hasbro action figures. Sure, they were on the "He Man" side, but we didn't care. They were Star Wars action figures! Cool again! And the new additions to the original movies were cool. Not all of them were welcome, but having the chance to see the movies on a big screen again was something not to be missed.

Enthusiasm for the saga was renewed for so many in so many generations. Then came Episode I. EVERYONE was excited. Who wouldn't be?

sigh. Then the reality hit. The first new episode in years blew huge chunks. What happened? Oh, the toys were still cool because the production design is always top-notch with the Star Wars universe, but beyond Lucas apologists, the world agreed that the movie sucked. The renewed enthusiasm for the Star Wars world was being tempered with some doubt. Then came Episode II, which had some decent moments, but arguably was worse than TPM. Enthusiasm for Star Wars among the rank and file diminshed. Then The Phantom Menace put the nail in the coffin. A poor story filled with bad acting and bad dialogue. Gratuitous moments designed to please just a handful of diehard Lucas Apologists pretty much killed any respect Lucas might have left with the general public. Despite the money made, the Prequels were a creative and critical failure for most of the world.

General apathy for the property built after so much of the enthusiasm and expectations were dashed with the Prequels. Most adults abandoned the hobby. Most kids found other pursuits, like Harry Potter which provided that same sense of wonder that the original trilogy provided for so many of us.

The Star Wars story goes on in the form of a new TV show, a new animated movie, new books, new toys, and sites like this. But on the whole, apathy has grown since the Prequels disappointed so many.

I've tried to keep up with the toys, but "life" has gotten in the way of being able to shop as well as just being able to keep up with what is available. I have three bags of action figures in my closet that I just haven't had time to open. My last two years were similar when by EE orders would arrive while I was out of town and I had to wait weeks or months before being able to open them.

So I saw the Clone Wars movie and was when it was over. The toys are still cool, but the way Hasbro is releasing lines and waves anymore is ridiculously confusing. The Droid Parts chase is irritating as I don't really know how many unique droids are availabe to build or what figures it takes to get all the parts. There are too many individual "lines" and they look too similar to know what is unique and what is a rehash. Most of my collection sits wallowing in a storage locker waiting for the day I can pull it all out again for that dream display room.

So I want to keep buying the unique toys because they are cool and I enjoy having minature versions of Star Wars characters. But given that I don't have a lot of time, that the lines are currently very confusing, and that I don't have a place to display everything, it makes feeling apathy all too easy. I don't want to feel this way, but it is just happening naturally. Perhaps if the Clone Wars movie/TV show was/will be really interesting (and a lot better looking), my overall interest could hit original trilogy levels. But Lucas has to rebuild the trust in the saga since he nearly destroyed it with his ridiculous Prequels.

Bravo Stilla, very articulate and accurate assesment of the dream that once was SW. Not to diminish from Lucas' bad choices, but the SW prequels had terrific hype to live up to: hype overblown, in part, with nostalgia....for backyard sieges in the snow with 3/4" scale snowtroopers, tuantauns, and imperial walkers.The best films are always made when a director makes the movie they want to see....but the prequals proved that Lucas was a better producer than writer/director.

Maybe those of us who cringe at the 3 newest installments would have responded better to them when we were younger (although my children, 2 and 6 years old, get bored with episodes 1-3 but love 4-6, so maybe not).....

As toys, SW will always be on top, but most of us seem to agree that as the product line got sharper, the narrative got, well, duller. That's too bad because with SW, less was always more (what was that thing that swallowed R2? Who is this Jabba thug? Why did Anakin turn evil?). The questions in episodes 4-6 kept the story fresh and mysterious, but the explanations in 1-3 (the force is basically the flu) pulled the curtain too far back to reveal a wizzard who was better at illusion than reality.

My kids still love SW, although my son is now getting hooked on Batman....not too bad an interest if I might say! My daughter is transitioning from SW to....gulp....Hannah Montannnananahhhh! I can't even say it!!!!! My boy loves his Vader, but he could care less for the rest.

But I'll still collect figs occasionally. I still like watching Empire and Hope and Jedi. I dig the 2D animated Clone Wars, but am unimpressed with the 3D version.....SW will always be an interest -and a great memory of childhood - but it's not so bad to grow up and enjoy life.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.