Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    Maybe those of us who cringe at the 3 newest installments would have responded better to them when we were younger (although my children, 2 and 6 years old, get bored with episodes 1-3 but love 4-6, so maybe not).....
    I've had that same experience. TPM's 10th anniversary is next year and I've known several kids who are approaching ten years old now and grew up with one of the prequel films being their introduction to Star Wars. However, every single one of them will list an OT film as their favorite Star Wars film (usually ROTJ) and they recreate the OT battles (mainly the Battle of Hoth) more frequently than anything from the prequels.

ANH was an instant success in 1977 and was seen as a classic film by it's tenth anniversary in 1987. Ep1 was looked upon as a whole lot of overblown hype in 1999 and has practically been forgotten almost ten years later. If not for Darth Maul, kid interest in this film would be at zero right now.

It's no contest, the OT are simply better films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Do you have a link to that? I've read a few times that Filoni said this takes place kind of alongside the first series, not replaces it.
    Sorry man. I don't. I found this one the old fashioned way - skimming at Barnes and Noble while my daughter was at cheer practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    Maybe those of us who cringe at the 3 newest installments would have responded better to them when we were younger (although my children, 2 and 6 years old, get bored with episodes 1-3 but love 4-6, so maybe not)

I wonder how widescale that is. The Lucas apologists as Stilla calls them keep referring to the kids who love the prequels but what of those kids that prefer the originals - even despite their "inferior" special effects and lightsabre battles. If more than the odd piece of anecdotal evidence could be gathered then what a terrible indictment of the prequels that would be. It'd be great if you guys in the US could do a national survey! The saddest thing about the prequels and any new star wars that lucas is involved in, I'm convinced, is that if it was made to please the older fans kids would love it just the same - no need whatsoever for all the pandering with fartgags and funny droid voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    The saddest thing about the prequels and any new star wars that lucas is involved in, I'm convinced, is that if it was made to please the older fans kids would love it just the same - no need whatsoever for all the pandering with fartgags and funny droid voices.
    My little cousin was about five when TPM came out. Every time someone excused the kid-friendliness of the movie, all I could think of was how every time Vader revealed himself to be Luke's father, my cousin was riveted, enjoying it as much as he enjoyed it the first time he heard James Earl Jones deliver that bombshell.

Of course I often mention my theory, that adopting/having children messed Lucas up in ways we'll never appreciate. Almost as soon as he adopted, we're suddenly getting Ewoks and animals burping when they eat things/people. Flash forward to three times the trauma (3 times the children), and we've got Jar-Jar stepping in poo and smelling eopie farts. Everything is all about the kids, even if he has to ignore every damned one of them to make everything about them.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

The thing is, I don't think that even prequel lovers claim that they are better than the originals. They just don't understand the level of hate directed at them. In my case, I can see how after the entire PT was completed that there could be some disappointment. I just didn't understand it after TPM, because I thought that it was great and figured things would get better from there. The other two movies didn't quite live up to those expectations, but I still enjoyed them.

I'm also apathetic about new star wars on the basis of what new indiana jones is. That boring as hell 4th film demonstrated that Lucas can't even make a good non-scifi fantasy film without inane cutesy animals and ridiculous CG sequences. He seems to be a blight on anything he touches now. Not even Spielberg reined him in. Hence not only my lack of optimism about the live-action star wars show but increasingly (and ironically given that I started this thread) my lack of interest fullstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    The thing is, I don't think that even prequel lovers claim that they are better than the originals. They just don't understand the level of hate directed at them.
    You hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo
    I'm also apathetic about new star wars on the basis of what new indiana jones is. That boring as hell 4th film demonstrated that Lucas can't even make a good non-scifi fantasy film without inane cutesy animals and ridiculous CG sequences. He seems to be a blight on anything he touches now. Not even Spielberg reined him in. Hence not only my lack of optimism about the live-action star wars show but increasingly (and ironically given that I started this thread) my lack of interest fullstop.
    Lucas gets far too much sh*t for Indy 4. He came up with the story (with Jeff Nathanson), which was given a by both Speilberg and Ford, so they are just as much to "blame."
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    The thing is, I don't think that even prequel lovers claim that they are better than the originals. They just don't understand the level of hate directed at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    It's always been my vain attempt to put things into perspective with people who just bash and to a degree people who just gush over all things prequel, though there really aren't too many people who love the prequels without restraint. People who hate the prequels without restraint are numerous.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post

Lucas gets far too much sh*t for Indy 4. He came up with the story (with Jeff Nathanson), which was given a by both Speilberg and Ford, so they are just as much to "blame."
    Yeah but after about 10 years of delay, scripts being rejected by Lucas etc, and the likelihood of all their schedules maybe not matching up again its quite possible they would have said yes to anything just to get it over and done after so long of saying they wanted to do it.

I am sorry but G.L lost the ability to tell a good story along time ago, the Prequels proved this, however G.L aint writing the New Clone Wars, and so far it is pretty good, much better than the Prequel Movies we have seen so far, like I said this has taken the Star Wars universe back to its square roots, Pop-Corn and Serials like Flash Gordon.

Now do I think theres a few things in there that could be changed yeah sure, just like any TV Series, and hopefully they will learn and change the things that dont work and keep the things that do.

As far as I am concerned the New Clone Wars has the Potential to re-write the Prequels and to give us back the OT that Lucas took away, by writing the Prequel Movies. Think of this series in the similair vain to the new Star Trek movie being done, so they can rewrite Star Trek and make it more cohesive. Thats what I am hoping for from this New Clone Wars series, if it even delivers half of this I will be happy.

To me Lucas had the right idea when he wouldnt let Marvel do anything Major with the Main Star Wars cast, hence the reason they created their own characters, he had them on a short leash, I think this is what Lucas should have done with Dark Horse and The Novels, everyone has had to much free reign in the Star Wars Universe and it needs rebooted and resorted, with the end goal being the Original Trilogy Movies like they originally were.

Once they get this right, then use the Thrawn Trilogy as the Influence for the New Republic Era, up until the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion, and then onto Legacy.
    I would like to thank these people - Jediguy, El Chuxter