I found a General Grievous Error figure...

Hi all,i'm new here to the site and seeking info on a figure i picked up the other day.It's a General Grievous Clone Wars #6 figure but on the back of the package it has the backing for Captain Rex #4 picture. Anyone ever heard of this misprint or how RARE they are to come by? I'm not a collector,just an admirer of all things Star Wars and realized it was a mistake on the package so i decided to pick it up in case it was worth anything.Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by doomdude View Post
    Hi all,i'm new here to the site and seeking info on a figure i picked up the other day.It's a General Grievous Clone Wars #6 figure but on the back of the package it has the backing for Captain Rex #4 picture. Anyone ever heard of this misprint or how RARE they are to come by? I'm not a collector,just an admirer of all things Star Wars and realized it was a mistake on the package so i decided to pick it up in case it was worth anything.Thanks!
    So, it's essentially a General Grievous on a Captain Rex card. Assuming it's not a repack, mistakes like this one are not that rare for action figures since their quality control isn't the greatest (Hasbro's not the US Mint, so it doesn't need to be).

There are some collectors who are interested in these kinds of oddities, but the figures are only worth what those particular collectors are willing to pay.

If you're expecting it to be worth significantly more than what you paid for it, then you're probably going to be disappointed.

If it was me, I would put it up on Ebay, make a note of the error and include some good photos to show that it's not a repack. Then set the starting bid at retail price + tax + listing fees + PayPal fees, so if it does sell you haven't lost any money. And if it doesn't sell, then just return it to the store for your money back.

actually the front of the card is correct.It shows G.G's picture and has #6 on it.The back of the card has the Rex packaging.Thanks for taking the time and answering my post.

Quote Originally Posted by doomdude View Post
    actually the front of the card is correct.It shows G.G's picture and has #6 on it.The back of the card has the Rex packaging.Thanks for taking the time and answering my post.
    Well, that would be the insert, which is separate from the card; but, as long as there is no real evidence of tampering, then it might truly be a production error.

If you can afford it, then send it to AFA to have them analyze and grade it. Once they put their stamp of approval on it, then it will be easy to resell as a factory error. Unfortunately, you will have to pay around $30 to get a new figure graded by AFA.

If you wanted to resell it ungraded, then it's just going to be too hard to prove that it's not a fake.

more and more collectors are going "open" since then their collections take up considerably less space.

carded collectors typically will be happy with one of each figure and many don't care about errors. variations will generally be sought out before errors.

in the end it's only worth what you someone will pay for it. doesn't matter how rare, or even if its one-of-a-kind, if there isn't a market for it then it's worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    if there isn't a market for it then it's worthless.
    Exactly, for some reason, the tray variations on the initial 1995 POTF2 Obi-Wan, Luke and Vader can bring in big bucks. However, I found about four bubble and card variations to the green carded POTF2 TIE Fighter Pilot (not counting Freeze Frame) back in 1997-98, which nobody knows nor cares about.

However, I've been selling some figures on Ebay and every once in a while I get surprised by just how much someone is willing to pay for a figure that I thought was worthless. So you might be surprised, especially if your willing to ship worldwide.

I have a Stormtrooper with Freeze Frame boxed up that has, if I remember correctly, a Saelt-Marae caption on the slide, but has the Stormtrooper picture in the slide. It is a really cool error, if I do say so myself.
    Message me on facebook for a quicker response: http://www.facebook.com/wesleyjamessr
    SSG RECOMMENDED TRADERS: BIG MAC, cohens4, Dar' Argol, icatch9
    I am getting rid of my entire carded/boxed collection. I have almost every variation from POTF2. If there is anything you need, just let me know.

I picked up a TSC AT-AT driver where the front of the card was correct, but the back of it was for the snowtrooper. I put it in a case cause its unique looking, but I don't think it'll ever be worth anything since mistakes are pretty commonplace anymore.