Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is Star Wars

Oooooooh Kaaaaaaaay.

I have been given a wonderful asssighnment for my english 101 composition class. It is to write a deffinition paper on a subject I have been randombly given.

My subject?

The effect Star Wars has on the human Psyche.

I don't even know if I'm spelling it right. What this weeks paper is on, is I have to define STAR WARS.

And since my first two attempts at this have been dismal failures in the eyes of my teacher, I'd just like to get all of yall's opinion.

I'm thinking about running with a paper that covers a short note on when the films came out, a short synopsis of what the movies are about, and the rest will be filled with discussing how popular it is and the merchandising of it over the last 30 years that has helped to keep it going.

With emphasis on the fact that it is interesting that ANY movie is remembered as clearly as the first Star Wars movie for 30 years.

So that's going to be my final take on it. But out of curiosoty, what do yall think?

I'd use theses aspects when describing hoa ANH connected with people:
    The hero's journey
    Good vs evil

If you're going with the OT/saga you could also use:
    Father vs son
    Fall & redemption
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Hell, just plagurize WotC Heroe's Guide and Galactic Campaign Guides. That's the whole first chapter, about 4-5 pages there. I love not having to teach anymore.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Also dont just focus on the good points, mention the screw ups as well, and how a lot of people are loosing their faith in the Star Wars franchise, in other words dont make it seem like Star Wars is the be all and end all of everything, you start showing two sides and the psyche part opens up a lot more.
    I would like to thank these people - Jediguy, El Chuxter

Avoid human psyche....you won't have the clinical research to back up anything you have to say. Unless you've spoken with psycologists, neuroscientists, therapists, etc., you'll have very little to say about SW and the human psyche that's of any value or validity.

HOWEVER you will have plenty to say about the cultural psyche!
    *Star Wars and goverment = President Regan's Star Wars program
    *Star Wars and religion = see articles about Lucas and TPM, he had a lot to say about evil, the nature of truth, etc.
    *Star Wars and consumerism = 'ENOUGH SAID ABOUT THAT.
    *Star Wars and education = there are colleges that teach courses about SW!
    *Star Wars and myth making = the role of mythical heroes in popular/folk culture.
    *Star Wars and movie making = See SW and consumerism.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    I have been given a wonderful asssighnment for my english 101 composition class. It is to write a deffinition paper on a subject I have been randombly given.

My subject?

The effect Star Wars has on the human Psyche.

I don't even know if I'm spelling it right. What this weeks paper is on, is I have to define STAR WARS.

I'm thinking about running with a paper that covers a short note on when the films came out, a short synopsis of what the movies are about, and the rest will be filled with discussing how popular it is and the merchandising of it over the last 30 years that has helped to keep it going.

With emphasis on the fact that it is interesting that ANY movie is remembered as clearly as the first Star Wars movie for 30 years.
    First question I'd have would be, is this a college or secondary school paper? That's significant to me. I assume from the 101 designation, that it's college, right?

Defining Star Wars? Well, there is the FILM ITSELF aspect (here's where your idea for synopsis is relevant), the FILM INDUSTRY aspect (new technologies, directorial decisions, advertising, etc.), the CULTURAL aspect (insert marketing, allusions, quotes, parodies, family/fan events here), the MYTHOLOGICAL or FAIRY TALE aspect (you can't spell "Joseph Campbell" without "Bel Cam Jos" ... and leph search for "comparative mythology," "character archetypes," or "eastern philosophy" too).

If you are allowed to insert personal narrative, it could get fanboy-esque or trivia nitpicker, but if you must keep formal detached third person narrative, that may give you an "outsider's" point of view with occasional experinces included.

My stylistic suggestions? Use the film devices (opening crawl, impact of the Star Destroyer fly over to begin, multiple locations all at once, battle scenes,
    credits at end only, Williams' score, et al) to describe about whatever you you choose to write (hey, a preposition was not ended with! ).

Good luck (you're gonna need it... ), Neuroleptic!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

There was a show on the History Channel awhile back which drew alot of comparisons between classic mythology and Star Wars. It was pretty good and would seem like a good place to start. I don't know if there is some place online where you could view it or not. Its not slated to appear on the History Channel anytime soon that I know of. If you cant, then try to get a hold of the "extras" DVD that came with the OT release a few years back. They go into it a little bit there.

I wrote a paper a few years ago about how the original trilogy, prequel trilogy, Harry Potter series, and Lord of the Rings all more or less fit the same storyline, based somewhat off of Joseph Campbell's work. If you read some of it it's really interesting. (And there's much more to the PT than most people give it credit for.)
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Bobafrett likes the OT films, the PT films however, not so much.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!