Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question HELP!! Handhelds: Nintendo vs Sony

I have a Nintendo GBA. Since they are no longer making GBA carts, I am in the market for an upgrade. I'm not a huge gamer but like to have something that's protable.

Question one: Is the Nintendo DS Lite backwards compatible with the GB, GB Colour and GBA carts?

Question two: Since my GBA still works perfectly fine and I can use my old carts on that, does the PSP deliver a better play value than the DS or DS Lite systems?

Question three: Are they discontinuing the production of PSP and PSP games? If so, that pretty much solves my dilemma right there. LOL

The reason I'm asking is 'cos I found a mint PSP for $100.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    I have a Nintendo GBA. Since they are no longer making GBA carts, I am in the market for an upgrade. I'm not a huge gamer but like to have something that's protable.

Question one: Is the Nintendo DS Lite backwards compatible with the GB, GB Colour and GBA carts?

Question two: Since my GBA still works perfectly fine and I can use my old carts on that, does the PSP deliver a better play value than the DS or DS Lite systems?

Question three: Are they discontinuing the production of PSP and PSP games? If so, that pretty much solves my dilemma right there. LOL

The reason I'm asking is 'cos I found a mint PSP for $100.
    1. Yes, the DS-Lite is compatiable, but ONLY with the GBA games.
    2. no clue as I have a DS, but one of the older, fatter ones.
    3. When I was working retail in the WM electronics dept, the sony rep told us that they HAVE discontinued a majority of the PSP titles as they were having too high of theft rates and they weren't selling.

I have a DS and I really love it. I got into it basically cos I got addicted to Cross Words over the summer and the local EB games had an older one, which I like much better than the lite for personal reasons and I decided to get one. I love it although I haven't played it in a month or so due to school and grading and all that crap. I really like how nintendo has games that keep your mind sharp and active.

However, be warned that Nintendo has A LOT of games oriented at younger crowds, but many can be enjoyed by older gamers like myself; games like Mario Kart, Mario 64, Resident Evil, etc. PSP will have games like God of War and stuff like that. Something to keep in mind.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 10-09-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Aside from the ability to play movies (which they don't seem to be utilizing that much with the PSP these days), the DS is really the better system in every way.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I travel. A lot. My DS never leaves my side. Never owned a PSP, but I know plenty of people that did or do. Those that did, disliked it and traded it for store credit. Those that do still own it don't play it much because of the lack of titles. As far as movie playback goes, the DS can do this, but you have to get a special add-on for it put out by Datel called MAX media player.
    The video quality isn't great, and you need to be somewhat computer savey to make movies (and mp3s) play on the DS, but it is possible. For videos and music I own a zune.

Wife also owns a DS and loves it. Its a great little system.

The best argument that I can come up with in favor of a DS, is that even though we have 3 or 4 systems plugged into the TV, I'll still find my son playing at the DS every now and then.

I'm a big fan of never throwing out any Nintendo system, so I'm still playing around with my GBA. (Heck, I'll play Tetris on my GB classic sometimes.) I've had the odd desire to pick up a PSP, but it seems to have such limited fun value... and Sony isn't doing much to impress me these days.

*nods*

No... there's no way I'd ever get rid of my GBA. That thing is a great toy. I was mostly asking 'cos so many people say that the more graphically intesne games pretty much suck on the DS lite and that it has trouble running a lot of the games on it. It also doesn't have a lot of voice repro capabilities.

I think more of the games I am going to be playing in the future would be the graphically intense ones. Eh... I'll have a look at the DS Lites anyhow. It seems to be unanimous.

Thanks!!!

If you're getting the DS, make sure you get it quick before they start selling the DSi (which I think I heard did not have the GBA port). The DSi is coming out next year so you got a couple of months left.

I'm hearing the new PSP screens are nice on the other hand.
    I'm...Darth...Nihilus.

I have one of each. I like the PSP for the graphics and the titles but the DS for the fact of using the stylus.

one of the negative things about the PSP for me is the quiet speakers on it. while trying to watch a movie you really need to have earphones in order to hear what is happening. the DS is loud so it's easy to hear everything.

the real question you need to ask yourself is this what type of games do you want. my advice is to go to the store and seriously count the titles of the games you want, whichever one has the most titles that you are going to play is the one you should consider on getting.

this is how i chose between PS2 and GameCube. (now i'm glad i stuck with PS2since GameCube is gone.)
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I'm still amazed at the huge hit PS2 became, its still selling 100,000s each month. I want to know who are buying them each month??
    I'm...Darth...Nihilus.

I guess the thing I'm not quite sold on is the whole stylus thing. Do I want to play games using this little... thing???! Is it cumbersome?

I don't want to buy something to find out that the platform is going to be scrapped in a year to six months. I don't get that feeling from Nintendo, but people keep steering me away from PSP because of the low sales and stuff.