Clone Wars opening theme music an homage

The series' opening music starts with drums and lightly mixes in the Star Wars theme. Why is that an homage? The 4th draft of the original Star Wars was written by Lucas starting with war drums.

The 4th draft is essentially the first real version of the saga that we know, it's the first one that begins with the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", and it's largely the one that was crafted into the shooting script, the first one with help from Gloria Katz & Willard Huyck...
    [FONT=Times New Roman]The Adventures of Luke Starkiller
    as taken from the "Journal of the Whills"

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] FADE IN...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    an incredible adventure took place...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    FADE OUT...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    FADE IN[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    1. EXT. SPACE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]A vast sea of stars serves as the backdrop for the MAIN TITLE. War drums echo through the heavens, as a ROLLUP slowly crawls into infinity...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]It is a period of civil wars in the galaxy. A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the awesome GALACTIC EMPIRE.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Striking from a fortress hidden among the billion stars of the galaxy, rebel spaceships have won their first victory in a battle with the powerful Imperial starfleet. The EMPIRE fears that another defeat could bring a thousand more solar systems into the rebellion, and Imperial control over the galaxy would be lost forever.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]To crush the rebellion once and for all, the EMPIRE is constructing a sinister new battle station. Powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, its completion spells certain doom for the champions of freedom.[/FONT]
    As you can see, while the final script still was still looming on the horizon, this was after Lucas all but started over and what we know as Star Wars really came into focus. And that idea of "war drums echoing through the heavens" was dropped in favor of John Williams excellent opening theme, but clearly it had a place in Lucas' mind, and now enjoys one in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

So love it or hate it, now you know where it comes from.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thank you for that! You are just a vast source of useful knowledge!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The series' opening music starts with drums and lightly mixes in the Star Wars theme. Why is that an homage? The 4th draft of the original Star Wars was written by Lucas starting with war drums.

As you can see, while the final script still was still looming on the horizon, this was after Lucas all but started over and what we know as Star Wars really came into focus. And that idea of "war drums echoing through the heavens" was dropped in favor of John Williams excellent opening theme, but clearly it had a place in Lucas' mind, and now enjoys one in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

So love it or hate it, now you know where it comes from.
    Nice try, JT, but actually, the idea came from a blogger, PseudoEchoBase, who posted about a rare "prequel draft special edition" that Lucas' half-sister wrote for an English class in '62 (that's also where the tagline for American Grafitti was born). Find his post at www.dudewheresmyelectrickarma.compost and learn the true nature and power of the force of typed verbiage.

In all seriousness, you're probably right. That's cool. He was Clone Wars comment crazy in ANH.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    Thank you for that! You are just a vast source of useful knowledge!
    Sure thing, I was excited to notice it and wanted to share that with everybody.

I didn't see the movie, but I remember folks telling me that the theme music had these drums and a sorta disco feel, I didn't realize it was this (assuming it was).

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Nice try, JT, but actually, the idea came from a blogger, PseudoEchoBase, who posted about a rare "prequel draft special edition" that Lucas' half-sister wrote for an English class in '62 (that's also where the tagline for American Grafitti was born). Find his post at www.dudewheresmyelectrickarma.compost and learn the true nature and power of the force of typed verbiage.

In all seriousness, you're probably right. That's cool. He was Clone Wars comment crazy in ANH.
    Where is ol' Supershadow these days? A guy on my Battlefront II room totally believes Supershadow too, it's so weird, I had to explain how much BS it is. You mastered the Supershadow speak, that's for sure.

I think the "war drums" concept is interesting on the page, but wouldn't have worked for the cinematic classic serials version, though I think it doesn't entirely fail here (though largely because it plays the concept off the now-famous main theme).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.