Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just finished watching the OT on my new Pioneer Plasma!

The last three nights have been spent hunkered down watching the DVDs on my new Plasma TV. It's a lot of fun... the colors on a Plasma set are amazing, and you can actually see a lot more of the details, like the aliens in Jabba's Palace. Interestingly, with the higher quality picture, you really get a very different sort of image with films shot more recently, I assume due to digital photography.

It has me itching to get an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. I'm going to start on the PT this weekend.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

did you go with the OT or OG OT ?

Congrats on the purchase !!!

So I'm assuming your are running an HDTV, with the DVD's, does the DVD do upscaling (HDMI)? What's the resolution of the plasma 720p, 720i, 1080p, 1080i?

Details man, we need details!

I plan on making the HDTV leap when I get back from Afghanistan next year. Right now my Sony DVD player has upscaling to HD, but I don't have it hooked up to run HD. The HDMI cable alone is like $100.00!
    May the force be with you.

I love watching the Trilogy on my Plasma. I have an RCA and its great!

But you're right -you can see and hear all kinda things you never noticed before. I'm gonna watch Jedi tonight!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    So I'm assuming your are running an HDTV, with the DVD's, does the DVD do upscaling (HDMI)? What's the resolution of the plasma 720p, 720i, 1080p, 1080i?

Details man, we need details!

I plan on making the HDTV leap when I get back from Afghanistan next year. Right now my Sony DVD player has upscaling to HD, but I don't have it hooked up to run HD. The HDMI cable alone is like $100.00!

The proper term is upcoverting. Sorry, dont mean to be rude.

The HDMI cables have come down in price recently. Some can be found for around 60 bucks. They dont do anything component(red, blue, green) and RCA(red yellow, white) cables dont do. The picture isnt much better. The only advantage HDMI has is one cable for Audio and Video.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The proper term is upcoverting. Sorry, dont mean to be rude.
    Yeah yeah...

The HDMI cables have come down in price recently. Some can be found for around 60 bucks. They dont do anything component(red, blue, green) and RCA(red yellow, white) cables dont do. The picture isnt much better. The only advantage HDMI has is one cable for Audio and Video.
    So I take it you have also watched the OT on an HDTV.

I am still waiting to make the jump, I really want to, but it just doesn't make sense for me to do it now.
    May the force be with you.

No, I dont have an HDTV yet. I work for Dish NEtwork and troubleshoot HD equipment most of the day there. I am planning on getting one by years end though and then I will watch the OT on DVD.

I wont get a plasma screen even though the colors are nice. They just have a higher risk of burn-in. I will probably go with LCD, which is a less chance of burn in.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

KH, I can't wait til I can someday go back to Dish Network...this cable I picked up when I moved is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    720p. I wanted plasma because the colors look amazing, but you have to get a Pioneer Elite to get 1080p in plasma and it costs over $5000 (and it looks stunning). I am not a huge fan of LCD unless you are prepared to spend >$3,000. This Pioneer seemed like a good compromise in the $1700 range and pretty much topped all other sets in its price range, including a 1080p Toshiba LCD.

I am running an old DVD player right now, so no HDMI. I thought about dropping $100 for a new player, but I would rather just wait until we have a winner between blu-ray and HD-DVD. My money is on HD-DVD.

I also am waiting for a Hi-Def cable box. TWC has been out of stock since the Superbowl. I already have my HDMI cable, so I just need the box.

Nevertheless, the Trilogy looked pretty dang amazing.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I have been looking at buying either a large Plasma or an LCD in the 40-42 inch range but haven't decided which. I own a small 19 inch LCD Samsung combo computer monitor/ TV, but the colors/ lightness-darkness are wierd on it. Especially when you are watching a dark toned show like Battlestar Galactica or even the old Star Trek Voyager. Just wondering why you chose a Plasma over an LCD? The price range seems to be about even with these lately in the 40-42 inch size.