Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I bought a remote-controlled helicopter and flew it around inside a restaurant t'nite

Hehehe. I was bored so I went to Toys R Us and selected one of those long-range RC helicopters, deciding that I could live with blowing $80 on frivalously entertaining myself.

I set the thing up with its batteries and practiced flying it at my apartment complex tonight, waiting until I got hungry.

Then I went to a family restaurant, carrying my new helicopter and its remote control in a gym bag. I went in rather late, when the place was more empty than full.

I got seated in a booth in a section where I was sort of by myself.

On the seat next to me, I set out my helicopter and flipped on the controls!

The waiters, waitresses, and the hostess and manager were sort of chatting up front by the entrance, when suddenly, they noticed this helicopter flying around above them and circling the entranceway.

Then the chopper moves over a table in a booth near the entrance and just hovers there.

The employees stop their discussion and sort of stare at the thing. This kind of instance has never happened in their restaurant before. So then one of the dudes climbs on the booth bench and steps up onto the table to grab the hovering helicopter - but it suddenly darts away and goes and hovers over the bar!

I nearly lost it at this point, I was probably turning bright red I was so going to explode laughing! Anyway, I turned away and stared out the window, so no one would likely notice there was anything obviously different about me.

Meanwhile, the front employees decide that maybe the busboys or the guys in the kitchen are playing a joke, and the manager goes back and calls out "to whomever back there is flying the helicopter, to quit screwing around. It was funny, but now they need to get back to work and not risk a crash-landing into any of their customers."

Of course, no one there knows who is flying the darn helicopter! But now they are all coming out from the back to take a look, and other customers are becoming aware that something strange is amiss.

So the manager gets up on top of the bar and makes a grab for my chopper after sternly warning whoever is the prankster amongst the employees that if they move that aircraft, there will be hell to pay. It's not funny now, the manager says, and someone will be sent home early.

Of course the chopper moves just out of reach of the manager, who starts getting angry now. I choke on my water, I'm trying so hard to not expose myself by laughing hysterically.

However, customers at the bar and employees are all smugly laughing at this point, so I'm in a lot less danger of blowing my cover.

But my piloting skills still need some work, aparently. It's very difficult to transmit the directions I'm giving my chopper while keeping the remote nearly under my table. I crash into a light fixture and my aircraft takes a nosedive and I think it broke on the floor just outside the bar area. I wasn't going to go and claim it - this purchase was for a one-way flight only. But it sure was funny!

No one at this restaurant has any clue who was flying the invading RC helicopter!

Oh man, I have to think of more stupid pranks to pull like this in the future. I needed a lot of cheering up and it appears that I can do it myself, but I have to get really creative. But I am capable! Though I'm not inclined to brag too much about my piloting skills. Haha.

Too bad you couldn't get it back, but that sounds like an awesomely fun time! I always want to mess with people like that but I always laugh right before I do it.

I don't know if I'd have the guts to pull that off. Sounds like you had a good time with it though!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Man you posted thi while we were out of town and I missed it til today, that is an AWESOME stunt man, I wish I were there getting footage cos it sounds like you executed it beautifully
    Iso&Baws
    totally awesome way to blow 80$, sounds well worth it...
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Fortunately it didn't cost nearly that much. You can get RC aircraft pretty cheap, but read what you're buying and how much control you'll have over it.

Looking back, the stunt wouldn't be so funny if someone got hurt, but I didn't pull it off when the restaurant was crowded, but rather mostly empty.

It was more like people were going "What's that thing over there?" instead of "What just nearly hit us?"

So when I look back again, I want to repeat my exploit but get it on camera. However, I don't want to see someone get hurt, but rather a lot of people laugh.

That's pretty funny. I agree video would be nice, plus you might recoup the $80 in the form of a few thousand on AFV
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Tycho, you'll have to come up with a simliar stunt when we come down to meet up with you at SDCC!

[FONT=Courier New]Awesome job, Tycho![/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Was it an AirHogs helicoptor? I have a Havoc and a Reflex and they're lots of fun. The Havoc is IR, tho, so it's line of sight unlike the Reflex which is RADIO control.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]My little nephew loves them, but I have to hide them when he comes over or he has a tantrum if we can't play with them due to weather or low batteries.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Why would I command a Mouse Droid to roll away from me though?

As long as it's by my side, I have easy access in case I want to sniff it.