Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I love the Typhoon (your pic)
    I used to build quite a few models when I was a kid. Mostly 1/72.

If I had to do it all over again I want to do 1/32. It seems about the biggest you can get in model form and I already have many of the 21st Century Toys 1/32's you can buy at Walmart for $15. Walmart has an Eagle Squadron Spitfire that's currently hitting everywhere. Pretty nice for 15 bucks. I took mine out and hung it up. Need to put up a German plane for it to chase.

Some planes you just can't get pre made in 1/32 like the Typhoon, but can get in a model kit. Also planes like the Nakajima Oscar, Mig 3, and ME-110 are available. They're big but small enough to hang all around my room.

The airplane hobby can get quite obsessive like Star Wars though.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I agree this is a great time to be interested in WW2 toys. The airplanes and tanks that 21st makes are awesome but I've kept myself from buying even one with the fear that I won't want to stop. I have suggested to the wife that I should buy them for our future children. She isn't quite sold on that idea.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    I agree this is a great time to be interested in WW2 toys. The airplanes and tanks that 21st makes are awesome but I've kept myself from buying even one with the fear that I won't want to stop. I have suggested to the wife that I should buy them for our future children. She isn't quite sold on that idea.
    EP: Look at all those historical manipulatives, dear! Just think how our kids would benefit educationally!

Mrs. EP: What a great idea! I think you should invest in their future, don't you?

(*....and then EP woke up......*)

It didn't work for me, either....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I love the 21st Century Toys product. I used to buy all of it back in the day. I've got most of the small ones and all of the large ones up until a certain point. I was more a fan of the tanks personally though.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Yeah, got lots of the armor too. Recently found an German Opel Halftrack in grey. I think it's my favorite so far. 15 bucks and super-detailed with the cab in diecast metal.

I put my Konami "Sulaco" (Aliens) in the back, it looks like some kind of German super-weapon, cause it's shaped like a gun.

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

I've been in weekly contact with Wayne Sayles, my uncle's biographer, pretty much ever since the revelation of his book. Unbelievably, he was able to include some material about my mom (family photos, etc.) I sent in spite of the deadline prior to going to press. He sent me the attached photos a couple of days ago. I have these in video form from a DVD I purchased from Zenos' Flight Shop. The first is of the cloud-covered buzz bomb target site of Bois des Huit Rues on April 10,1944 (see notation at top of photo). This is an actual mission photo during which my uncle was killed. Because of the clouds, three passes over the target were necessary to complete the mission. My uncle was hit on two of the three passes. Not much to see, but tremendously important photo to my family, obviously. The other photo (undated, but pre- D-Day because of the lack of invasion stripes on the wings) shows a couple of A-20s hit by the flak they're going through. I'm glad to have these in still form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mission10.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	18595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Havoc****.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	18596  

Pardon the double post.

Here's a website with more information than you probably care to know about the buzz bomb site Bois de Huit Rues the 416th was trying to take out when my uncle was shot down. Despite several missions, it was never taken out and now serves as an historic site.

http://www.coalhousefort-gallery.com...ite-Hazebrouck

Also, I came across another photo of a later mission (April 19) attempting to level the site. I'd like to return to Europe one of these days to see the site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125 - (SAO-416-58-7)(19-APR-44)(BOIS DES HUIT RUE-11500).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	18617  

Wow, those are awesome pictures. My grandfather has some pictures from his two tours (one in Iceland and the other in Europe) as a radio operator (I don't know his official title). Interesting stuff but not as dramatic as yours for sure. During his European tour he was assigned to Eisenhower's unit (SHAEF) which gave him an armband to show he was in the outfit. He used the armband to convince some guards that he had some official business to get access to Hitler's personal train car after the Allies captured it. He walked away with some china and salt and pepper shakers off the train car. We still have the china but have lost the salt and pepper shakers over the years. We also have a Nazi staff car flag that he found in the firebox of a stove as a Frenchman tried to burn it to hide his support of the Germans during their occupation. It's singed very lightly in one corner but it's in good condition.

TeeEye7 have you been to Europe to see this buzzbomb site? We stopped in Paris at the site of the building where my grandfather stayed during his time in the city which was neat. That buzzbomb site would be awesome to see in person given your personal connection to it.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Wow, interesting stuff guys.
    Never been to Europe. Been to lots of places in the Pacific though.
    One of these days.

A friend of mine who's dad was stationed in Germany said when he was playing out in the countryside he was always discovering bunkers.
    It would be great to be some sort of WWII archaeologist.

My dad was stationed in Greenland during the war. He had joined the Army Air Corps, and was assigned to be a gunner on a bomber because he was such a crack shot, and even had the medals to prove it, but they found out he was colored blind so he ended up in Greenland as a teletypist. I probably wouldn't be here if he had been a gunner.
    My brother has pics of him on the ice-packs with a husky.

After the war he was sent to the Pacific. Was at Wake island for a spell, and found a postcard from a Japanese soldier. I don't know who has that now, but I've seen it.

Anyways he ended up being stationed on British owned Canton Island (near Truk) married an Australian girl (my mom) who worked for Quantas Airlines, they settled there and had us kids. I was born in a quanset hut.
    I remember seeing an old rusted out beached ship, and an area of the island we weren't supposed to go to that had a lot of rusted out war junk. Probably full of unspent munitions I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    TeeEye7 have you been to Europe to see this buzzbomb site? We stopped in Paris at the site of the building where my grandfather stayed during his time in the city which was neat. That buzzbomb site would be awesome to see in person given your personal connection to it.
    No, I haven't seen the site in person. I've only just learned of the book written about my uncle last month and all its information contained within. All of this has been a whirlwind if not downright surreal! I've been to Europe twice, and had I known of this information, I would have certainly made the trip to tour the site. My uncle and his flight crew have their names on a memorial near Cambridge, England, as well. That's another thing on the list to check out when/if I get the chance to return to Europe.

It's cool to hear about the "souvenirs" picked up by your family members, EP anad Blue2th. I'm always fascinated to hear the stories around them. We have a Japanese bayonet floating around my little family group. As the story goes, it was acquired from a Filipino gentleman by trading two packs of cigarettes for it. No desperate hand-to-hand combat story here!