Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    It's cool to hear about the "souvenirs" picked up by your family members, EP anad Blue2th. I'm always fascinated to hear the stories around them. We have a Japanese bayonet floating around my little family group. As the story goes, it was acquired from a Filipino gentleman by trading two packs of cigarettes for it. No desperate hand-to-hand combat story here!
    I can look to my right [looks right] on the shelf, and see some "bunker art" (I think that's the general term for it) of a large shell case (about 1-1 1/2" high, but don't know how many mm it is wide :metricsystemdropout: ... but a cheat by looking on the bottom reveals it as a 105mm shell case), with some style rifle shell in the middle, and various coins smashed onto the shell case. It's an ashtray, but in my house has never been used as such, just art.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

If you get a chance, BCJ, I think a photo is in order. That's some creative mind to come up with that!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Here are two photos, with this very thread in the background on the screen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BunkerArt1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	18647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BunkerArt2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	18648  

Thanks for the pix! Are those foreign coins on the edges of the 105mm shell?
    That's a dummy (hopefully) .50 cal. machine gun round in the center of your "sculpture", BTW.

I see a familiar avatar in the background........

The coins appear to be from Luxembourg [how it's spelled on it] with dates of 1929 & '30, France ('38), and Netherlands (can't read the date), plus a 2 1/2 cent from unknown country; some of the coins' glue must've worn off, as two are just inside the shell case. No idea if it's a dud, but I hope it ain't live. Lemme check and just put it in the firepl-

What was that noise?

Seeing that artwork reminds me of the art I see in the various correctional facilities I've either worked in or visited. It's interesting to see how people are inspired to create with whatever materials are at hand for them. I've seen some outstanding artwork by inmates using colored pencils and pillow cases or sheets as canvases.

Back to what this thread is all about: books! This has caught my eye and I think it will be put on my Christmas list now:

http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-War-Po..._tdp_sv_edpp_i

Looks like an interesting read at the very least. Since it has a connection to the 416th Bomb Group, I'll have to check it out!

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by the ghost of Bel-Cam
    Yes, continue to talk about books, especially books related to WWII. I used to like reading books, when I was alive...

My grandfather had a lamp that he made from old shells. I don't remember where it is (possibly in my storage shed) but it's got a large shell in the middle with smaller rifle shells around it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

More did you spake?

Here's a couple of other books I've added to my wish list:

9th Air Force
    American Tactical Aviation in the ETO 1943-45

by Gregory Pons

Air Support for Patton's Third Army
    by John J. Sullivan

It's going to be a tight year financially for Christmas this year but maybe Santa Trump will find his way to my house!

I'd also like to have Santa drop off The 9th Air Force in World War II by Ken Rust, but that one is really pricey!

Found this Japanese WWII movie about the Kamakaze pilots of Japan.
    Looks pretty cool. Here's a clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLLRx7xaVI
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"