Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    They look like the guys who tried to kill my dad during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. He survived a Kamakaze attack.
    Yes, kiddies, I'm a LOT older than most of you here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf

That looks like a film worth tracking down, BTW, Blue2th.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    They look like the guys who tried to kill my dad during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. He survived a Kamakaze attack.
    Yes, kiddies, I'm a LOT older than most of you here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf

That looks like a film worth tracking down, BTW, Blue2th.
    I did a DVD search of "For Those We Love" (which is the translated title) on ebay and bought it immediately after I saw the trailer for $16 with free shipping. The guys over at Small scale military headquarters found it.

Interesting Wiki read. I knew some of went down in the battle, but it's cool to get more details.
    That battle was the big showdown with the Japanese and first time they used an organized Kamakaze attack.
    What part of the battle was your dad in?
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    What part of the battle was your dad in?
    For the life of me, I don't remember where he was specifically (other than the Philippines), and he's no longer here to ask. My dad didn't talk about his WWII experiences much (typical of Greatest Generationers) but he did relate his Kamakaze event.

My dad was a lieutenant jg in the Navy and skippered an LCT (Landing Craft Tank). He moved material, troops, and endured amphibious landings. On this particular occasion, he was tied up next to a cargo ship with another LCT taking on supplies when the Kamakaze came in (a group of three were attacking), probably targeting the cargo ship. His boat untied from the cargo ship and his crew engaged the fighter. The other LCT began to untie but became the unfortunate target of the Kamakaze's trajectory. The LCT was destroyed, the cargo ship slightly damaged.

The only other incident my dad ever really talked about was the time he was ferrying a bunch of drunk Marines back to their transport. Some Jarhead roused the group in an attempt to take over his ship. My dad quelled the "rebellion" by repelling the participants with fire hoses. Too funny!

Here's a little info on LCTs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Tank

OK, this doesn't have to do with books per se, but it does have to do with reading:

My uncle's biographer has started a blog about the experience of writing First to Fall. Here's the address for those who may be interested:

http://cramsie.blogspot.com/2008/12/...d-cramsie.html

Perusing some internet photos on the 416th Bomb Group, I was startled to find a photo of the A20 in flight in which my uncle was shot down. Unfortunately, there is no date on this photo. If there were, I'd be able to tell who the pilot was on that day (pilots didn't always have the same plane to fly on every mission). Attached is the photo. With a little help from Photoshop, I cropped and enlarged the picture and enhanced the markings on the right side of the ship. The plane is in the center of the photo with the "5C" as part of its markings (which stood for the 671st squadron of the 416th Bomb Group). The clincher for the photo is the letter "I" towards the tail that identifies the plane as the one he was in.

This whole experience continues to be spooky......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uncle_Bills_A20.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	22805  

My Dad was in photo recon..never saw combat. I have his dogtags to this day. I have a great photo of him with a French girl in front of a German half-track. I don't have a scanner, unfortuneately. Most of his WWII photos ended up with his brother's family. I would kill to get them back. They would fill a Time-Life book, easily. He passed away from a heart attack when I was 10. He, like many, never talked about the war much.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Would your uncle be agreeable to giving the photos to you? It seems to me you're the rightful heir.

This can open up a huge door. It's been a little over two years since I was introduced to by uncle via Wayne Sayles' book "First to Fall, The William Edward Cramsie Story". Not only has it introduced me to my uncle, but I've researched my dad's actions in the Navy during WWII, thanks to the internet.

Sticking my nose in your business, I'd see how amenable your uncle would be to obtaining your dad's photos.

There is a longer story here. My mother, who pretty much raised me alone, got done alot of dirt to her by my father's parents after my Dad passed away(he was only 49) from a heart attack. My Mom passed away in 1996. I'm not sure at this point whether the photos were sold or just given to my Dad's brother....but I don't really speak to that side of the family. They were all about $$$ & inheritances...my grandfather was a very hot-head German Patriarch type person...always had his nose in a ledger book; never played with me when I was little, nor got to know me. Like I said....a complicated family history. My mother bent over backwards for them when they got older, even when she didn't have two pennies to rub together, and they never left her a cent when the will was exposed.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

I plan to purchase these books from Sid Phillips and RV Burgin:

http://www.marinesidphillips.com/sid...aphed-book.htm

I received a VISA gift debit card for my birthday which, unfortunately, doesn't work for on-line purchases (). I'd really like to get the first edition signed copies. I'll have to come up with a Plan B.

Amazing to see even the lowest-priced offering is in a hard back book! I hope this trend continues vs. paperback!

If you know of a World War II veteran, what better way to honor him/her than to register them with the National World War II Memorial online site?

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default....&subpage=intro

Help maintain our history!! (I did!)