Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Made some submissions to NavSource.org regarding my dad's WWII service. He was in the amphibious forces in New Guinea and the Philippine Islands. A photo album of his was unearthed with some photos and artifacts that need to be shared for history's sake:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/181071.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150680.htm

I'm hopeful some of the small information I've shared (and plan to share more as I find it) with help others in their search to find out about their family member or WWII veterans in general.
    And it has happened!

Two weeks ago I was contacted by the daughter of a crew mate of my dad's. I posted a photo to the site above and she was thrilled to see her dad! We are now in the process of exchanging information we have on our respective father's careers. Too cool!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Very cool Tee Eye! Congrats!
    Thanks JJB! I'm waiting for some material being sent to me to show up in my mail box any day. I received an interesting email from the daughter mentioning other contacts she made while on Ancestry.com. Things are looking up!

[edit] Received an email from the daughter this evening that confirmed some research I had come across as accurate as her father was an eye witness to the even. Detective work can pay off!

...and today the envelope arrived with the promised material: letters her dad sent home PLUS some really cool (and uncexpected) photos! Ima be like gonna be really busy for days now!

There's some great insight into this era from just my skimming of the material! Oh YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Very cool. The wonders of the Internet!
    Indeed! Praise be to Al Gore!

I'm attending a conference in New Orleans next month for work. Before I accepted to go (yes, I had a choice) I asked the boss if we had some free time if we could tour the D-Day Museum. And we are! It's three miles from the hotel.

I have the best of intentions to re-read the Longest Day before going.

Really looking forward to the museum.

Very cool! Visiting the National World War II Museum is on my bucket list. I graduated high school from NOLA, but the WWII Museum wasn't even a glimmer on anyone's drawing board back in the day. If you get a chance, you should sneak over to Chalmette and visit the Battlefield and National Cemetery there. It's been complete re-done since I lived there in the dark ages:

http://www.nps.gov/jela/chalmette-ba...tor-center.htm

As the crow flies, I lived 4-5 south of the battlefield (this is where the Battle of New Orleans took place for those wondering...).

BTW: I received more documentation today that helped verify my research on my dad!

I will keep Chalmette in mind but other than getting to NOLA a day early, I don't think there's time for much sightseeing. You know the type of conference: starts at 9 a.m. and runs to 5 p.m., two days in a row.