Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    One of the unexpected gems I received. Crew members on the LCT manning a 20mm gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20mm Gun Crew_600dpi.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	28237  
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

...and for those wondering what an LCT (Landing Craft Tank) looks like, here ya go:
    (This image was also sent to me)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCT 1290_600dpi.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	28239  

FYI, in the next week or so, PBS is airing a three-part series called Nazi Mega-Weapons. Tanks and the Me-262 are two of the weapons to be featured.

PBS aired the first segment last year, and it featured the Atlantic Wall and the V2 rocket.

Here's the link to the new updates:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/181071.htm

Another revelation with my contact was finding out that LCT 1071 was the flagship for its group!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Here's the link to the new updates:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/181071.htm
    Another productive week end with more new information sent. New updates later next week! This is getting more awesome by the day!

Played tourist and visited the National WWII Museum in New Orleans when I was there last week. In the last few years, the National D-Day Museum turned into the National WWII Museum, but the main building's focus is on D-Day.

Wow, what can I say. I was there 2 1/2 hours and it wasn't nearly enough time. I would've loved to have stayed longer but the people I were with were a little bored. They patiently waited on me while I walked around.

When you first walk in, there's a restored C-47 and Spitfire in invasion colors suspended from the ceiling, and a landing craft off to the side. Impressive.

Lot of artifacts donated from D-Day participants. Lot of video/audio testimonials. The one that caught my attention was from an 82nd Airborne para named Arthur 'Dutch' Schultz. He's profiled in the book and movie, The Longest Day. In the movie, he's the para who wins big playing craps but experiences guilt and then loses it all. He had a video testimonial about the training leading up to the invasion, and he donated a WWI knuckle-knife to the exhibit. I thought, I've read about this guy for 30 years, and now I heard his voice!

A second building across the street houses a massive aircraft exhibit. The prize is a B-17 that was recovered from Greenland where it was buried in ice for 50+ years. There was the Mustang, a Corsair F4U, Dauntless dive bomber, a B-25 and a few others.

If you get to NOLA, I highly recommend taking at least a half-day and visiting the museum. Glad I did.

I'm a bit late in saying this but Happy VE Day + 69 Years.

The National D Day Museum is very much on my to do list, I've heard good things about it in the past and your post OC only makes me want to check it out even more!

I easily could've spent the entire day at the museum. There was so much to see, and I only scratched the surface. There was a temporary exhibit on the Japanese-American internment camps that I missed completely. There was an hour-long retrospective movie that I didn't have time to see, and there was an exhibit/movie on the USS Tang which I skipped.

Three new exhibit areas are opening up over the next three years. One of them is focusing on the Pacific theatre. It will be something to see once it's all completed.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Three new exhibit areas are opening up over the next three years. One of them is focusing on the Pacific theatre. It will be something to see once it's all completed.
    I'm excited to hear of the Pacific Theater exhibit. That's where my dad served. In the meantime, I hope to visit the museum BEFORE that time. Glad to hear of the review, OC. I had a friend go a few months ago and his review was a bit underwhelming. I'm hoping my future visit will be astonishing!