Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

If you needed evidence Lucas was just jealous of Genndy...

Both volumes of the original Clone Wars series are out of print. Right about the time Uncle Nutsy's new series comes out. Coincidence? I'm not starting this thread to argue the merits of one version of the series over the other, but this REEKS of Lucas' "I want to deny such-and-such ever existed, so I'll pretend it didn't and ignore the fact that people saw it" jackarsery (read: the original versions of every Star Wars movie made).

Screw you, Lucas. I hope Genndy shows up at Skywalker Ranch one night while you're asleep, wakes you up, and kicks you in the nads with a steel-toed boot. If you want to try to outdo someone, I suppose that's fine, but deleting someone's output so there's no frame of reference? That's just low.

I don't care if you prefer the new version or not. This behavior is childish. The last shred of hope that I held is dead; I no longer believe that there is any of the nerdy genius storyteller still alive inside that fat, money-grubbing, Ronstadt-porking SOB. He's more donkey than man now, stinking of his own chutzpah (which he probably will deep fry and eat, then deny ever existed).
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 11-17-2008 at 02:28 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yes, he was so super jealous, which is why he commissioned the guy to make three seasons.

You've known they were going out of print for a while, though, right? It's the same thing with the Ewoks, Droids, and Ewok Adventures DVDs. That's just the way it is - older things go out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Both volumes of the original Clone Wars series are out of print. Right about the time Uncle Nutsy's new series comes out. Coincidence?
    I've noticed an occasional person not knowing what the difference was between the new and old Clone Wars (based on the name, before they've seen either the new one or both), so that could have been a reason aside from the fact that it's just an older DVD release.

(read: the original versions of every Star Wars movie made)
    The original versions of the OT were rereleased again two weeks ago. And is anyone really clamoring for the version of AOTC where Anakin doesn't hold Padmé's hand at their wedding?

This behavior is childish.
    And calling a man a "fat, money-grubbing, Ronstadt-porking SOB" is sooo mature.

I can't honestly think of an actual example of him claiming that an older version didn't exist. For the original trilogy, it was stated over and over and over that the 1995 VHS versions were the last time the originals would be released, but people apparently didn't listen, or just really wanted them on DVD, despite the fact that they knew they weren't going to be released again. Lucas never said there weren't older versions, I distinctly remember him saying, "They're on VHS if anyone wants them." Then when Lucasfilm buckled and released them on DVD, people complained that they weren't anamorphic. But, as I said, they're also included in the multipack released earlier this month. But all sorts of other movies undergo changes that people never even know about (cropping older movies so as to look widescreen, speeding up a film to fit onto a tape, etc.), even though we (obviously, as fans) hear about SW more.

As to the original series, lest we forget that it was originally intended to be more like commercials than an actual series (and it kind of was), and it later evolved into being a so-called "pilot" for the new series. We knew that they were going to make a CGI Clone Wars show at least back in 2005 if not earlier.

Again, why don't you care that the other DVDs are also going out of print? Sure, Tartakovsky's CW was fun, but it wasn't the second coming, as you seem to think it was. You don't need to get so worked up about this new series, or the old one going out of print. Everyone that wants it probably already has it, or can easily get it, or can watch it online.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I didn't say I was being mature. I'm a troll, not an entertainment mogul.

No, I didn't know these were going out of print. And, no, I'm not as concerned about Ewoks and Droids; these didn't have much of an audience. (They might have, if they'd marketed them AT ALL, but that's another issue.) But all old stuff doesn't go out of print (though I suspect copious amounts of crack are involved in deciding what does)--three years is a rather short shelf life for a Star Wars spinoff of any sort.

The title of this series should make it a shoo-in for a marketing, for the same reason Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut was released around the same time as Superman Returns on DVD, or why Batman: The Animated Series is being re-released in new packaging to more or less coincide with The Dark Knight on DVD. It's not a matter of confusing people. You yourself mentioned that the existing DVDs were recently re-released to coincide with The Clone Wars on DVD and TV. Don't you think there'd be a mix of people, some who see the new one and are reminded of the old one, some who realize they never picked it up, and even some (particularly kids) who didn't know it existed?

Lucas is, if nothing else, a master of cross-promotion. And he has shown a tendency to disavow things on a massive scale. To delete a surefire cross-sell, especially in light of enough fans claiming to like the original series more than the prequel movies (not a majority, but enough for him to be aware of it) and dismal reviews for the movie? Doesn't that strike you as just a bit odd?

I'm not worked up about the new series. I don't care for it, but I don't care if other people do. (My name isn't Peaches. ) But this really smells of trying to hide something with a similar name to his new show that he's afraid of unflattering comparisons. (Worse when you take into account the current series wasn't announced until after the original series was done with and meeting a mostly enthusiastic response.) That's a new level of douchiness even from him.

I've held out hope that, somehow, the guy who gave us three Star Wars movies that are three of the greatest films ever made was still somewhere in there. But he's surrounded himself by yes-men for so long, and been so concerned with the almighty dollar over crafting an actual story, I doubt there's any talent left in there, or it's so far buried under the greed that it will never again surface.

By the way, none of the six movies have been released on DVD in their original theatrical forms. There were at least minor alterations to each. It might be a minor quibble, but people have actually asked for them. (I'd especially like TPM without the stupid extended podrace scene.)
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 11-17-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Most people I know don't even realize that the original CW cartoon even existed. If you're life didn't revolve around Star Wars or you didn't make it a habit of watching Cartoon Network back in 03-04, then you would have missed the whole "phenomenon" entirely.

This is probably just to avoid confusion and I'm sure they'll be available as bonus features on some Clone Wars boxed set in the future.

Hey, at least they were released at one point. If you are a fan of the original Droids and Ewoks cartoons, then you have to live with only portions of those series on DVD.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Most people I know don't even realize that the original CW cartoon even existed. If you're life didn't revolve around Star Wars or you didn't make it a habit of watching Cartoon Network back in 03-04, then you would have missed the whole "phenomenon" entirely.

This is probably just to avoid confusion and I'm sure they'll be available as bonus features on some Clone Wars boxed set in the future.

Hey, at least they were released at one point. If you are a fan of the original Droids and Ewoks cartoons, then you have to live with only portions of those series on DVD.
    I agree. What are more people going to know - a series of three-minute blips from three-to-five years ago, or the current TV show and recent movie? Chux, you said yourself that the audiences weren't very big for the Ewok and Droid shows and Ewok movies. Why would the microseries be any different?

Don't you think there'd be a mix of people, some who see the new one and are reminded of the old one, some who realize they never picked it up, and even some (particularly kids) who didn't know it existed?
    There's also the risk of kids and casual fans getting confused between the two, seeing one show or the other, and not caring about the other one due to a sort of "been there, done that" attitude, which could go against any effects of cross-promotion. I don't know how big the effects would be, though.

(Worse when you take into account the current series wasn't announced until after the original series was done with and meeting a mostly enthusiastic response.)
    Call me nuts, but I thought that they always knew and said that these were sort of a pilot for a different series down the road. Maybe that revisionist history has invaded my own memories.

And he has shown a tendency to disavow things on a massive scale.
    Apart from the original original original versions of any movie, what are you talking about? And while some may want the mono mix of ANH without Chewbacca growling at the mouse droid, and some may want the version of ROTS with the wipe between Obi-Wan leaving Mustafar and Anakin crawling up the volcano, but do you really truly think the market is that huge for it? I don't even know of any differences in ESB and ROTJ from the versions available now. I mean, when Anakin says "I'm a Jedi; I know I'm better than this" in AOTC, you can just put it on mute and close your eyes for a few seconds and relive the theatrical experience.

To delete a surefire cross-sell, especially in light of enough fans claiming to like the original series more than the prequel movies (not a majority, but enough for him to be aware of it) and dismal reviews for the movie? Doesn't that strike you as just a bit odd?
    You know he doesn't pay attention to critics, for better or for worse. But the show was the biggest premiere in Cartoon Network's history, so that's at least something. The show is generally getting better response from critics and fans (at least those who aren't deep-throating Tartakovsky ). But I think this was going out of print well before the movie premiered anyway.

I've held out hope that, somehow, the guy who gave us three Star Wars movies that are three of the greatest films ever made was still somewhere in there. But he's surrounded himself by yes-men for so long, and been so concerned with the almighty dollar over crafting an actual story, I doubt there's any talent left in there, or it's so far buried under the greed that it will never again surface.
    If he was really that greedy (and it's not like there hasn't been a ton of product and a ton of demand for it every day for the last 30 years or so, so I don't buy the "Lucas is greedy" argument since it's not like he's holding us at gunpoint and making us buy this stuff), wouldn't he release every episode of Ewoks and Droids and keep the old Clone Wars DVD in constant circulation?

The bottom line is, I really don't think these could have been profitable to keep in circulation. Nowadays, movies are repackaged every few years anyway, so any given version of a movie doesn't really have that long of a shelf life, especially within the last few years. Look at the Star Wars movies - they get rereleased every two years. Indiana Jones was just rereleased five years after they were available the first time. Reno 911! Miami has like three different versions, for Christ's sake! These DVDs will still be sitting on Wal-Mart shelves for any future fans; I doubt they've been flying off the shelves lately anyway.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I don't believe there is jealousy here.

If Lucas wanted people to forget about the Gendy garbage, why did they carry over silly ideas such as Ventress and Obi-Wan Cloneobi?

Thankfully they ignored Durge, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    I don't believe there is jealousy here.

If Lucas wanted people to forget about the Gendy garbage, why did they carry over silly ideas such as Ventress and Obi-Wan Cloneobi?

Thankfully they ignored Durge, though.
    So you buy into the (crap) line that Retard-esky claims to have created all the characters and the concept of the Clone Wars? I do sort of agree with Chux's premise, but only in the regards that Retard-esky tried to trample in on King George's idea. Fat Plaid squashes any one and anything that tries to claim some ownership that is his intelectual property.

These characters were discussed/created in a comittee meeting with DH/Hasbro/Bantam a year before he was brought on for anything, which was still 6 months before AotC was released. The fat man may have been in a diabetic coma on the conference call, but the multiple CW stories reeks to me of Rick McCallum as Georges enabler in chief.

McCallum--just enough brains to have a decent concept, not enough testes to stop from being walked all over.

But this is so inside politics, the bottom line and Chux's correct premise, George got ****ed.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Well this thread kinda sheds a little light on why we are, but aren't getting figures from the Micro Series.

Why we get an occasional figure from the line slipped in a wave kind of disquises that it might be affiliated with the Micro Series, but is on the down low so it's "not really."

Why "Lucasfilm specifically asked us (Hasbro) not to do anymore Micro Series figures."

Wouldn't want George to be jealous of Emmy winning Gendy in any way would we?

I've been peein' in the wind over more Micro Series figures.
    Golden showers anyone?
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    the Gendy garbage
    Are you sure you watched the same cartoons? The Gendy series was the best SW PT series, feature film or animated, to date!
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Maybe there's a little resentment from the Creator of Star Wars over the fact that the original series got such critical acclaim, and when the new Clone Wars roles around to Emmy time...nothing. That's gotta hurt.

Any credit given for the Micro series in any way, would be a slap in the face. That would include new figures to remind us of how good it was, and detract from the new series.
    Even though it's all Star Wars, it all would seem the same to us, yet Lucasfilm refuses to openly give permission to do more Micro Series characters.
    Yet a couple make it under the wire like L8-L9, which is a Build-a-Droid, so I can understand how he could pass without too much notice.

Then we get K'Kruhk early next year. Well he's a Micro Series character, but also appeared in the comics, but yet is released on a single card instead of a comic two-pack, so he kinda sort of gets a pass under the wire.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reasons why Micro Series characters are not allowed to be released. There is no clear explanation, and one is left to speculate, so I'm speculating. Maybe obsessively so, but if there's one thing I know is that there are quite a few obsessive Star Wars fans out there, or here.

I'm coming to a conclusion as to why though, and it really is a shame.
    Maybe I'm wrong but no other explanation fits. Either that or no one really cares one way or the other, because the latest flavor of Clone Wars is out there and the original is being forgotten, and maybe that's what they want.

Prove me wrong.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"