Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Guitar Hero vs Rock Band

This is for Wii...

My wife is wondeirng, what is the difference in terms of # of songs, playability/impressions between Rock Band and Guitar Hero? There's the obvious cost, insturment/interface difference, but what else is there?

She wants another game for 2009 and is undecided between those. She's already decided she doesn't want Wii Music despite us already having Wii Fit.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Hmmm...if it were xbox360 or PS3, I'd tell you Rock Band as the number of songs is much, much greater than on Guitar Hero, especially with all the downloadable content songs.

Are you planning on purchasing the instrument bundles (guitar, drums, microphone) or just game plus guitar?

By the way, the instruments/controllers from both games should be compatible with one another.

I enjoy playing both so it's hard to pick one over the other though Rock Band 2 would get a slight nod.

If you don't mind buying older versions of the games - i.e. the first Rock Band or Guitar Hero 3 or Guitar Hero Aerosmith, I think there will be some Black Friday specials on them. I'll have to get back to you and the details.

You don't want my input.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Are you planning on purchasing the instrument bundles (guitar, drums, microphone) or just game plus guitar?

By the way, the instruments/controllers from both games should be compatible with one another.

Black Friday specials on them. I'll have to get back to you and the details.
    She'll (or we'll) be starting from scratch. Game, controlers everything. It's not that it is budget busting for us, just I think she thinks she's coordinated enough to play the drums. Her sense of rhythm and tone is a bit off to my trained ear (and yes, I have conducted small ensembles at the church level and run rehersals for larger ones at the collegiate level). Part of me says, I'll give up my game for 2009 if its good enough so it'll make it easier to justify buying it in her mind as well.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

For songs I'd have to say Rock Band but I still prefer the Guitar Hero gameplay and the guitar itself over Rock Band. The Guitar Hero guitar is a bit smaller so it feels more comfortable to me.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliki
    The Guitar Hero guitar is a bit smaller so it feels more comfortable to me.
    YR DOIN IT WRONG!!!

Iso&Baws

Oooohh BERN
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

It just reminds me more of the Tic-Tac.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You don't want my input.
    I can't believe I'm about to do this, why not? I want to hear good, bad and indifferent.

I thought my reputation as the only person in the world who doesn't care for this sort of game was more established. I'll need to work on that.

But if you want my honest input, you should instead buy any of the Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman) that you don't have already.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My sister and I have Guitar Hero I and III and love them. I think she'll be getting World Tour soon, but I don't know for sure. I don't really know about the difference in gameplay, though. The drums on the first Rock Band weren't as "bouncy" as real drums so it was more distracting than anything. Apparently they fixed it for the second one, and the GH ones felt fine when I tried it.

I think, in the end, it comes down to the songs. You can find full lists on Wikipedia and see what you guys like better. There are quite a few cross-over songs now, so it's getting harder to see a discernable difference. Oh, and many of the songs on the first two Guitar Hero games were covers of varying quality, not the actual recordings, but it seems like most of the songs now are the real deal.