Talking Which Black Friday Wal Mart TV to buy?

Well I need a new television. My old 19" isn't cutting it anymore. I have a PS3 now and need something better.

I work at Wal Mart and we are going to have a few TVs on sale on Black Friday. With an extra 10 percent off and no interest credit card for 18 months, I can't go wrong.

But I don't know what to buy. :hmconf:

I don't want the 32" Emerson, it's too small.

I was thinking of getting the 42" Polaroid but I read bad reviews about it. Is it really that bad? I think we might have another brand 42" for the same price so maybe I can get that.

The 50" Samsung is a plasma, which I'm not sure I want, and too big to fit in my car. But it is a good deal.

We also have some Samsung TVs, like the Samsung 40", all weekend long but they cost a lot more.

So what's your opinion? Get the 42" Polaroid or not? Do you have any of the TVs on sale? If so, how is it?

And is anyone else planning on getting a Wal Mart Black Friday TV? Thanks!
    You may know me as: Chuckles at joecustoms.com, Boshek at sirstevesguide.com and he-man.org and Eaglekiller at allspark.com.

No, I can't afford a T.V. right now. Last T.V. I bought was over 2 years ago, and I put it in my bedroom so my son could watch the T.V. in the living room, and I could watch what I wanted, without disturbing him. I never went through and hooked it up to cable, and now its just used as a C.D. player to play romantic music for my wife and I.

I have to be at work at 6 a.m. on Black Friday, blah!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I've been shopping for a new flat-panel TV as well. My research points to Sony and Samsung as the most reliable brands. There's a big debate whether LCD is superior to Plasma. LCD is supposed to have a longer lifespan.

As far as size goes, 32-37" flat panels are ideal for bedrooms. Get a 40-47" set for larger living rooms. Go bigger if size matters not.

I'm a commercial-free movie person first and foremost, so recreating the theater in the home is very important for me. I want a television that can make it feel like I'm going to the movies, but without the cramped seats or other annoyances (mostly other patrons).

I'm leaning toward a 46" Sony LCD, probably W series (KDL46W140), with 16:9 full HD 1080p resolution, a 120 Hz refresh rate, and with 24p capabilities. This television costs about $1,750 locally. With the extended warranty and wall-mounting hardware, I'm looking at over two-grand.

LCDs with 120 Hz refresh rates are less blurry when watching fast-moving sports or action movies. Plasmas are supposed to be better than LCDs when it comes to motion-blur. There are already LCDs with 240 Hz refresh rates hitting the market now.

24p capability means the TV can screen films at 24 fps (frames per second) when connected to a video source with 24p output (such as Blu-ray players). Movies in theaters are shown at 24 fps.

You always see contrast ratios prominently advertised, so I thought this was a big deal. Some TVs are 3500:1 while others can be as high as 1,000,000:1. I thought contrast ratio was an important factor, but an article in Consumer Reports said that advertised ratios can be misleading since there are different ways to measure this and each manufacturer has their own method. So I pretty much threw out contrast ratio as a deciding factor.

I have a Mitsubishi 42" LCD 1080p. Seriously doubt that they are available at WallyWorld, but the dealers usually offer a 1-year no interest deal this time of year. That's what I did.

The only other thing I can say about my TV is:
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I have a Samsung 52" Plasma I got at Frye's Electronics.

It's fine and digital HD or whatever that stuff is, as the TV is just about 2 years old. I don't make a big deal about that stuff. When I move into a real house I'll care more about setting up a home theater with it.

But you don't leave anything high def on (like DVD menus or paused video games) so you don't burn any image into a plasma. Just turn the tv itself off if you pause your video game or DVD for a while (or switch inputs while you are on the phone or something). That's what they told me. I learned it and lived it and my tv is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post

I have to be at work at 6 a.m. on Black Friday, blah!
    Psh! That's not early; the last black friday I had to work (06), I had to be there at 4:30 a.m. It was NUTS. hehehehehehe
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I have to be at work at 4 a.m.

I found out we are selling RCA 42" TVs and not Polaroids. I feel better buying one of them.

I am getting a small loan and giving my friend cash to get me one. I hope she gets one. I will let you guys know what I end up with.
    You may know me as: Chuckles at joecustoms.com, Boshek at sirstevesguide.com and he-man.org and Eaglekiller at allspark.com.

I don't know about all the different lower end brands, but I was looking at the low end TV with the most bang for the buck, and just this last year the Westinghouse LCD's came out on top in a lot of reviews.

Of course were not talking about twice or more priced Sony's, Sharps, and Samsung with the new smooth motion features.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoShek View Post
    I have to be at work at 4 a.m.

I found out we are selling RCA 42" TVs and not Polaroids. I feel better buying one of them.

I am getting a small loan and giving my friend cash to get me one. I hope she gets one. I will let you guys know what I end up with.
    So, what did you get?

I happened to be checking prices online this morning and noticed that Sam's Club had dropped $400 off the price of the TV I posted about earlier. Nearly all the stores had sold out but I was able to find a Club that still had three left. So I drove 90 miles this afternoon and got one!

It set me back $1550, including a wall-mount and tax, but it's sitting in the living room right now, waiting to be cracked opened and installed. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow morning!

The Samsungs I've seen all have very fast response times, very smooth movement compared to the others I saw around it (a lot of Panasonic). I want a new machine, my current tube is 32" so I'd need a 39" HD to match, but I want 1080 rather than 720 and the pricing just isn't there yet. I was shocked at how it's essentially impossible to buy a digital TV for under $200 right now at any size. I wanted to get my grandpa a little digital TV since his analog TV-receiving radio won't work in Feb, but the smallest is 19" and $200, and there are almost no portable or smaller for any price.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.