Hybrid View

Cool New Santa Fe Super Chief Lego Train

JT, you might want to get this one. Finally, Lego made one out of the real model (check out the pic.). In addition, each train will have its own unique train number (numbered from 1-10000). If you are still waiting for a nice piece, this should be it. Exclusive for Lego S@H, they just started taking order last Sat. for March 29 delivery. The price is not bad also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10020.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	737  

Wow, that's a very nice-looking train piece, the accuracy is top-notch! I wish I had the $$$ to spend right now, being a limited edition set is going to be a major disappointment in the future when I can't get it. I hope this opens the doors at Lego and they create more authentic engines and cars.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT you ever get this or the set of them? Always looked pretty sweet for a train set....I would love to get a nice LEGO train set to display around the X-mas tree.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

The LEGO Super Chief is indeed a fine looking locomotive. The main drawback about these sets is that LEGO doesn't include a motor with them. I have to use the one from my 3225 Classic Train or 10001 Metroliner. I never bought the train cars for the Chief though.

What kind of train are you interested in, DQ? LEGO does have a Holiday Train out right now, which would be perfect for under the tree.

My dad watches a lot of model railroading shows on TV but I can't get him interested in LEGO trains, which IMO are just as good as Lionel. I was looking at Lionel O gauge trains at Hobby Lobby and really liked the Great Western and it's expansion set. Both come with Lincoln Logs. And I thought LEGO was expensive!
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    JT you ever get this or the set of them? Always looked pretty sweet for a train set....I would love to get a nice LEGO train set to display around the X-mas tree.
    No, the price kept me away unfortunately, and I've totally run aground of places to put this stuff as well, much less display it. I hate to say it, but I actually thought last night of selling some of my LEGO SW sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    What kind of train are you interested in, DQ? LEGO does have a Holiday Train out right now, which would be perfect for under the tree.
    Except it's $90 and still has no tracks or motor. I don't get LEGO with this, here's a perfect example to get more people interested in a great sub-line - combining LEGO building and model railroading - and instead they go the opposite way with that.

My dad watches a lot of model railroading shows on TV but I can't get him interested in LEGO trains, which IMO are just as good as Lionel.
    Model railroading on TV??? I had no idea! Lionel are pretty cheap-looking, thin plastics that have light bleed through, but they have more "up close" little details that, combined with the little guys in that scale, give a sense of "being there" which is what I believe hobbiests are looking for there.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Except it's $90 and still has no tracks or motor. I don't get LEGO with this, here's a perfect example to get more people interested in a great sub-line - combining LEGO building and model railroading - and instead they go the opposite way with that.
    LEGO just cut the price on the motorless/trackless Holiday Train to $45. I think they sell locomotives and some train sets without motors, tracks, and speed regulators to keep prices down for collectors who may not want another motor, speed regulator, or even more track at the time of purchase.

They do offer a Starter Holiday Train set that has everything a newbie would need to run it right out of the box. Costs a little more too.

Model railroading on TV??? I had no idea! Lionel are pretty cheap-looking, thin plastics that have light bleed through, but they have more "up close" little details that, combined with the little guys in that scale, give a sense of "being there" which is what I believe hobbiests are looking for there.
    Yep, he's got RFD-TV channel through his DSS service. Programming mostly consists of farm/livestock and ancient country-western variety programs, but they have model railroading and train shows weekend mornings.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I see what you mean about selling it without, and $45 is quite reasonable for it, but at $90 it's just too much I think for anybody not into the line already to want to jump into - even if it is 900+ pieces. $165 is high for a starter set, if it was $120 I could understand it, but part of what's going to keep folks away is the perception that LEGO looks like a toy, which is the opposite of model railroading.