Thumbs up The Hobbit comes to GAMECUBE

Capitalizing on the recent interest in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Sierra Entertainment has announced that The Hobbit is in development for the Nintendo GameCube. Being developed by Austin, Texas-based Inevitable Entertainment, The Hobbit for GameCube is a third-person action/adventure set in one of the most famous realms of fantasy ever created, Middle-Earth. It pits gamers in the furry feet of Bilbo Baggins, a most unassuming hobbit who encounters the most extraordinary of things on his epic quest.

Russel Byrd, managing director at Inevitable says, "Bringing the epic worlds described in Tolkien's works to life through a video game has been an amazing experience."

Mike Ryder of Sierra comments, "The Hobbit is one of the pre-eminent fantasy works of all time and is perfectly suited to be the inspiration for a great game. The book provides a tremendous amount of rich material from which we expect to make a fantasy game that lives up to the extremely high expectations of Tolkien's fans worldwide."

The ambitious title is set for a 2003 release. Sierra and Inevitable have not released any screenshots of The Hobbit running on GameCube yet, but have provided one piece of promotional art.

IGNcube has stated that they will update with more details on The Hobbit in the coming months. If you're interested, head on over and check out the demo Inevitable did last year for nVidia's GeForce 3 card. Hopefully the company is as technically proficient with the GCN hardware.
    http://www.inevitable.com/downloads.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thehobbit_021902_additional1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	738  

Who didn't see this coming though. With the resurgence of Middle-earth popularity, thanks to the movies, Tolkien properties are hotter than Star Wars right now.

I hope the game is good, it'd be nice to play as Bilbo on his quest.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

This reminds me of Kings Quest...the sad part is that this game is coming in 2003...anyway, there should be games like Zelda and Banjo to keep us busy for a year.
    As always...........L

Zelda is supposed to come out in December of this year. Here is a screenshot.

Name:	zelda.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	831  

I was dissapointed that after they spent so much time and hyped it up a couple years ago, then cancelled the proposed Middle Earth MMORPG (Massive Multi-player On-line Role Playing Game). I wish they would decide to do that again. I love Asheron's Call but it's really really old to me now and I need a new game. Oh well, guess I will have to make do with the Star Wars: Galaxies MMORPG game later this year.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

The new Zelda game, or my I say "Celda" is kinda turning me off. The new cartoony cell-shading that they've been doing more and more in games (Jet Set Radio, Cell-Damage, Simpsons Racing) is cool, but it looks way to weird for Zelda. Don't hold me by my words, the game could kick butt and I'll be kicking myself for bad-mouthing it, but it looks WAY too cartoony for me.
    "Flanders was a zombie?"

-Homer Simpson

Dar' Argol is a good guy to trade with!!!

Don't feel left out X-Box

X-Box fans shall recieve "Fellowship of the Ring" as their LOTR game. Here are the facts from ign.

Fellowship of the Ring is a third person action/adventure where you play as Frodo Baggins as he begins his quest to destroy The One Ring. Through eight large areas (comprised of about twenty-four sub-levels), Frodo will travel from The Shire, through the Old Forest, rest in the Prancing Pony in Bree, battle the Nazgul at Weathertop, meet with the Elves at Rivendell, encounter unbelievable terror in Moria, enjoy the beauty of Lothlórien, and finally encounter the river Anduin.

Even though the game is relatively linear in that there are set "levels", when you are in an area you are pretty much free to do what you want. If you just want to run around and kill monsters for a while you can, but if you wish to progress past the next "checkpoint" you'll have to talk to people and perform certain actions to trigger the next story progression.

Speaking of the levels, each one will be pretty large with about a fourth to a half a mile of actual ground to explore. Also, even though the levels are big, load times will be practically non-existent in the game as they are streaming data from the DVD, to the hard drive, and then into the game as people play. The only time when the game experience will really be brought to a halt is when there is a cut-scene, so you don't have to worry about seeing an annoying "Now Loading" screen to interfere with your game time.

The main gameplay screen of the game isn't too cluttered. When you look at the top right hand corner you'll see a circle that shows your health and spirit power. Your spirit is used for actions, which are connected to the icons to the other side of the screen. In the top left hand corner are three icons. The top one is for runes, which are basically magic spells that can do things such as healing you, making a firewall, creating a shield around you, or enchant your weapon with magic. In the center is a button for your items, which will be thing such as healing herbs and possibly even The One Ring. Next, the bottom icon will summon a member of the Fellowship at the cost of some spirit points as well as allowing you to camp where you can save your game and talk to members of the Fellowship about what quests you are currently working on. Finally, the team is planning on adding a auto map on the screen, but that hasn't been implemented at this point. Speaking of the Fellowship, since the book is the first of the series, Frodo will be alone at the beginning but as he explores he will meet the other members of the team. For example, when you arrive at Bree and go into the Prancing Pony, you will encounter Aragorn/Strider who will then join your party. Then you are able to call upon them during the game so that they can use their special abilities to help you out, but it will cost some spirit points depending on whom you use. While Aragorn slashing up a monster won't use up that much spirit, having Gandalf fry a bunch of enemies with a big spell will use up quite a bit.

Ok, so we know how the game will play, but how will it look? Well, there were only two levels up and running at the demo, but the game is starting to show promise even at this early stage of development. The framerate is definitely smooth in spots, and the draw distance is very good. They started the demo in the Old Forest where we saw Frodo running around and fighting spiders and exploring the area. Throughout the forest, leaves gently flutter to the ground while the air is filled with softly floating particles, the small stream trickles gently through the forest, and the whole area is draped in an eerie haze.

The small portion of the Mines of Moria that they showed us was not quite as peaceful. We saw Frodo running along a small area near lava pits with a very cool red mist floating around the stone bridge that crosses the lava. We asked if the mist was volumetric (as it looked as if it was), but it is just a very good particle effect, although we were told that the game would make use of volumetric effects due to the power of the Xbox when it comes to such things.

As for Frodo himself, it can be a little tricky to see all of the detail that they have put into the model, but we were able to see a first person "look" view that most 3D games have these days, and when the player looked down we were able to see that Frodo was quite detailed. He has the hair on his feet, and is dressed just as he should be. Thankfully everything else is just as detailed, and when Aragorn appears he is dirty, scraggy, and definitely not someone you would confuse for a future king. Also, the animation of the characters, and especially the death animations of the enemies, is very fluid.

With all of the gameplay stuff out of the way the purists are probably wondering how true the game is to the original text. I must honestly say I was very proud to see how extremely detailed and obsessive the team is in making sure that they do remain true to the book.

Tolkien was extremely detailed in his description of Middle Earth and the people that inhabit it. In the Old Forest area, there are yellow leaves falling, the water is brown, and eventually the trees will be gray with green moss (they currently aren't, but they are fixing it), all of that is exactly how Tolkien described the Old Forest.

Since Frodo will be traveling through each of the areas described in the book, most of the major characters will appear. Tom Bombadil is in, as is the whole Old Man Willow sequence. Glorfindel also pops up, which is welcome news for those who are upset about the changes made in the upcoming movie.

Speaking of that, the game is completely based on the book, and has not connection to the upcoming movie as a different company will be snagging the rights to that. This means that if you are a fan of the book, you'll definitely want to keep an eye on this game. What I saw today was like seeing the Old Forest ripped out of the pages and brought to interactive life on the Xbox.

Name:	lotrfellowship6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	917  

Angry Re: Don't feel left out X-Box

I am a big fan of the LOTR books and saw the new movie. it was very well put together. But why would sombody want to by two or three systems? They should make the LOTR games for PC first. Everybody has a PC!
    "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete; when I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master." - Dark Annie

Re: Re: Don't feel left out X-Box

Originally posted by Dark Annie
    I am a big fan of the LOTR books and saw the new movie. it was very well put together. But why would sombody want to by two or three systems? They should make the LOTR games for PC first. Everybody has a PC!
    But somebody might not have a good enough system to run the game if it were made for PC and the operating system factors into it also.