How To Handle Cloaks / Softgoods for an Ultimate Figure (Ltd Time Available Deluxe)

This came up in a discussion about SideShow where they have offered both cloth and hard plastic Imperial Officer hats with each Imperial Officer figure.

I want Hasbro to create a limited line of deluxe figures - some aliens but a lot of Jedi and Sith, done like this.

If Hasbro included figures like Jedi with both softgoods cloaks AND hard shell cloaks. They might even market a deluxe line that comes wtih 3 (three) clothing options, the other being a pre-posed hard-cloak like in TPM's Tatooine Duel (Qui-Gon and Maul), so you could buy the "ultimate figure" and display him how you want. Softgoods are still essential to seat figures in vehicles - the BMF and Royal Starship being prime examples. Obviously the figures would be super-articulated.

I know Hasbro would prefer to sell us 3 figures (of Vader, Obi-Wan in a particular outfit, whatever) and the cost for us would be $21).

Why not have a Hasbro Toy Shop line available for limited time only, to purchase Obi-Wan, Anakin, or even cloaked aliens or secondary characters that need to sit, like Captain Panaka? They can sell the single figure for say $18 or something that will still hit their profit goal. Then they won't lose the sale of 2 more figures of the same character, because that money will already be in their pocket. They can still market the same figure CARDED, with less accessories, putting him or her out with only certain accessories each year. Most of us won't wait "hoping for a pre-posed cloak or something" and we'll buy the more expensive version right away. But we'll go back and purchase the cheaper figure in the brick-and-mortar stores as we want extra specific offerings of that character for any more scenes with our figures that we want to assemble.

I know some of you are collectors, or afficianados, but I think most of you didn't want to pass on the BMF. Thus you might want a Ben Kenobi or Princess Leia that can sit in the Falcon. You might also want a Captain Panaka that can sit in the Royal Starship. Maybe dioramas aren't your thing like it is my passion, but setting up the Mos Eisley Cantina or Jabba's Palace is still a temptation for you "mostly carded collecting guys." I bet that most of you "openers" that just stand your figures together might group them according to scene or category anyway.

Sometimes they need to sit down. Other times, sculpted cloaks like TPM's Tatooine Duel come out really awesome, in spite of being un-useable for other poses or scenes.

My position is that I prefer sculpted robes/outfits on figures of this size. Lately my preferance is not being catered to - so I would support the idea of getting both, therefore keeping everyone happy at the same time.

Devo, do you buy any vehicles? Do you open your figures or keep them carded? Just curious. It might further explain your preference for the molded cloaks. I like molded cloaks in most instances, too. I'm really yearning for Anakin and Obi-Wan from AOTC made that way. But I obviously buy the vehicles and want to recreate movie scenes in dioramas that might need the figures sitting in some instances.

I'm an opener and I do collect vehicles but I'm more into appearance over interactivity. Sure softgoods will allow your pilot Obi-wan to sit in his jedi starfighter but for the most part we want our figures displayed seperately from the vehicles and hes not going to look good standing beside the starfighter if the robe hes wearing looks like a parachute. I was just looking at closeups of the new EpIV Ben kenobi and the softgoods robe, as usual, is awful. The texture of the lower tunic looks good but the sit, inevitably, is terribly unnatural which cancels out the good points in my opinion.

I wish Hasbro would make dedicated pilot figures with softgoods - but fully sculpted figures as the default position.

Yeah, I think vehicle-pack-in figures mess with their costs (like for the $20 fighter assortment). So I don't think we should mess with that as I want to keep getting more vehicles - and there are a lot they could still do.

As to selling specific pilot figures, that's a great idea. They've done it before, but they really need to coordinate them shipping when their specific vehicle ships. They started off really badly with the AT-ST in 1995 and the Driver being issued in 1997. Oh, and Luke X-wing (we actually got Luke Snowspeeder inaccurately represented in 1996) with the actual appropriate pilot figure coming out in 2001.

Other times I think they were pretty close - like with Obi-Wan (Red Leader) in 2005.

AOTC saw a "pilot wave" with the Clone Pilot, Padme Pilot, and Jango Pilot. But this was not a wave that required any softgoods.

At the end of 1999, Obi-Wan and an Anakin Pilot figure came out. Obi-Wan and Darth Maul from that wave had softgoods. I bought that Maul and saved him until 2007 when I could get a Sith Infiltrator for him to pilot. I'll put accessory robes on the Obi-Wans I've saved for the Royal Starship and for the Gungan Bongo Submarine I bought an extra figure in hopes for.

I think it's cool how you might display the pilots standing next to their ships. That can look really good.

As a diorama guy, I might approach that with a hanger bay scene (Yavin Base for example), but I like hanging the ships from the ceiling like they are dog-fighting. In that case, the softgoods are very useful to me.

I completely agree with Devo that the sculpted robe figures turn out better. But I have a strong need for ones that can go in the vehicles.

One thing I never understood was how long it took Hasbro to make a Ben Kenobi figure that while ROBED, could ride in Luke's lanspeeder! Now with the BMF's 4-seat cockpit, you have more need for softgoods Ben figures - with bending knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    As to selling specific pilot figures, that's a great idea. They've done it before, but they really need to coordinate them shipping when their specific vehicle ships.
    Yeah thats what I was talking about rather than pack-ins. I was thinking along the lines of the EpII pilot Obi-wan. Just thinking now how odd it is that the EpIII 'pilot' Obi-wan was given plastic robes - not complaining though as that is my preferance. But for the future I'd like it if Hasbro would release dedicated 'pilot' figures so that for the rest of the time each character could be sculpted for those of us who value aesthetics over play value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I think it's cool how you might display the pilots standing next to their ships. That can look really good.

As a diorama guy, I might approach that with a hanger bay scene (Yavin Base for example), but I like hanging the ships from the ceiling like they are dog-fighting. In that case, the softgoods are very useful to me.
    I'm into dioramas myself - echo base is the big one for me as its from my favourite film and it just seems to me the busiest coolest looking star wars set. When the house I currently occupy (mummy&daddy's) gets done up and my shelves get built I'm dedicating an entire shelf, the full length of a wall, to echo base with the BMF, at least one large X-wing, my 3 snowspeeders, tauntauns, bacta tank, snowtrooper squads, command centre (c'mon torryn farr!!), basically everything I can get from the film. I'm using styrofoam board - the packaging from household appliances and entertainment gear - its amazing how 'Star wars-like' these bits can look - and I may buy clay to sculpt ice-walls and icecycles (sp?) etc. Thats all a big tangent - besides which there aren't many softgoods candidates for figures in the echo base scenes. But if there were I'd prefer sculpted everytime.

Sideshow absolutely doesn't need plastic shells, I don't even understand why you said that in the other thread (I saw the post but was so "huh???" that I didn't respond there).

Hasbro hasn't had a really good plastic cloak in a while, they're always too thick or in some crazy action billow. But their cloth cloaks have gotten consistently worse and worse over the last 14 years. I'm sick of seeing Vader in semi-translucent capes and Obi-Wan in a mountain of felt.

Honestly, at this scale there's not much one can do with cloth to make it look right, so there aren't many opportunities to include it. Hasbro's cut-n-sew is really chintzy though, I've seen far better customs out there on the figures, especially Vader capes that drape his shoulders and aren't see-through and yet aren't out of scale. If Hasbro could get that sort of thing together, I'd want to buy it, but if it's just more of the same mediocrity, I'd definitely pass.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.