Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Wood!!!

I'd be more impressed if I hadn't been using for the past 5 years toothbrushes made from Cellulose Propionate, a plastic derived from wood: http://www.radiustoothbrush.com/

I also bought early corn-based plastics in the form of plastic forks, but early corn-based plastics tasted HORRIBLE. They have newer corn-based plastics that are more suited to such needs, but those can't be recycled, they have to be sent to a special composting facility.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This thread was very misleading

I'm still waiting on transparent aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I also bought early corn-based plastics in the form of plastic forks, but early corn-based plastics tasted HORRIBLE. They have newer corn-based plastics that are more suited to such needs, but those can't be recycled, they have to be sent to a special composting facility.
    Really? I've never noticed that before. One of my aunts use to be involved with the research into corn based plastics. We've gotten a ton of this stuff from her over the years. Plates, forks, tee shirts, pillows, blankets, coffee mugs, and other random stuff. In '94 my Mom buried a plate in the "compost" pile to test the claim of decomposition. A year later I dug it up and saw little change.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Must... resist... obvious... dirty joke...!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    Are you planning on transporting a bunch of whales into the future by a few hundred years?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    Really? I've never noticed that before. One of my aunts use to be involved with the research into corn based plastics. We've gotten a ton of this stuff from her over the years. Plates, forks, tee shirts, pillows, blankets, coffee mugs, and other random stuff. In '94 my Mom buried a plate in the "compost" pile to test the claim of decomposition. A year later I dug it up and saw little change.
    The forks had a strong, bitter flavor, it was noteworthy. Like I said though, these were VERY early corn-based forks.

You can't compose corn-based plastics in normal composting environments, that's one of the complaints about them, in normal waste or compost they take 100 to 1,000 years to break down. However, they do break down to compost in a matter of weeks under the proper heat and pressure environment, but as I mentioned before, there are not many facilities which do that at this time.

Why wait? There are now ceramic camera lenses made out of transparent aluminum:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_oxynitride
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The forks had a strong, bitter flavor, it was noteworthy. Like I said though, these were VERY early corn-based forks.

You can't compose corn-based plastics in normal composting environments, that's one of the complaints about them, in normal waste or compost they take 100 to 1,000 years to break down. However, they do break down to compost in a matter of weeks under the proper heat and pressure environment, but as I mentioned before, there are not many facilities which do that at this time.
    How early are we talking? The earliest corn plastics I've heard of were like from the 70's and were terrible expensive and very poor in most applications. My aunt starting working in this field in the early 90's. At that time I was told very clearly that you just toss the stuff in a regular compost pile. Later it was learned that you need very specific compost conditions in order to break it down like they had hoped.

I find that all plastics are terrible misunderstood. No plastic takes 1,000 years of to break down. My mom has a 15 year old sample of corn plastic in a sealed glass container. She normal keeps in a cool, dark drawer. About 5 years she noticed it was starting to break down. I'd guess 10 to 20 years in a standard compost pile and you'd see total break down of most corn based plastics. Even petrochemical based plastics break down rather quickly. Now those do last longer in compost or landfill conditions. But exposed I've seen break down begin in a little as two years.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Are you planning on transporting a bunch of whales into the future by a few hundred years?
    Nah, anchovies. They're extinct in the 30th century, you know. Whales are everywhere, blasted pests.

Why wait? There are now ceramic camera lenses made out of transparent aluminum:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_oxynitride
    Oh, ALON doesn't count

Nah, anchovies. They're extinct in the 30th century, you know. Whales are everywhere, blasted pests.
    I suppose getting into the robot oil business would be the more profitable choice.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection