Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" Review

It really sucked.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Yeah, the 1951 original just got a whole lot better with age. As if Keanu isn't ultra-monotone most of the time...he reached new heights of boredom this time around. And how can you do a remake/sequel/reinterpretation...and not have Klaatuu, Barada, Nikto. C'mon!
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    It really sucked.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Slick.

I was mildly curious about the re-make. This is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films. I couldn't see how it could be improved upon. This was a great "thinking man's" movie, instead of the usual 1950's and 1960's late night "teenagers battling the aliens in the desert" flicks we all had to endure.

I wish Hollywood would leave well enough alone. What's next? Gone with the Wind with Paul Reubens and Paris Hilton?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Brief and to the point. I agree. It sucked.

The only good thing was they didn't go overboard on GORT. They kept him simple. It would've been easy to opt for the Michael Bay treatment and give him nonsensical gears and servos.

This version seemed slower than the original. Maybe because of Keanu Reeves crappy acting. The original had a mystique to it. Yeah it was slow, but the black and white made it otherworldly somehow. This colorized, computer generated version was gratuitous and pointless.

This was my wife's idea to go see. I'm going to stick with Pixar and Disney. These reimaginings are getting worse and worse.

Yeah, Keanu Reeves is quite possibly the worst actor I've seen. He's much like Nicholas Cage in that they can't show emotion in there films.

There really wasn't any action at all and what action there was was over quickly.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Even J-Con couldn't make me watch this. It looked like a steamy turd.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7
    I wish Hollywood would leave well enough alone. What's next? Gone with the Wind with Paul Reubens and Paris Hilton?
    Everything Pee-wee does is awesome, so recast the female lead and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Yeah, Keanu Reeves is quite possibly the worst actor I've seen. He's much like Nicholas Cage in that they can't show emotion in there films.
    I have to disagree. Have you seen The Wicker Man? He was really interested in how it got burned, and it showed.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

"Frankly, my dear Scarlett, I'm a loner, a rebel."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Everything Pee-wee does is awesome, so recast the female lead and come back.
    Jenna Jameson, maybe?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I haven't seen this or the original, but it looked kind of cool. Based on the previews, I think Keanu's acting seemed to fit the character, at least the whole monotone speaking thing. The reviews seem to agree that it isn't very good, plus it also sounds like it is just another vehicle to push some environmentalist agenda. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it sometime, as well as the original.