Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catwoman Dies

Catwoman Dies

Eartha Kitt, singer and actress died from colon cancer on Christmas.

I will always know her more for her 1960's Batman role as one of the actresses who played Catwoman.

Sleep in purrfect peace!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I watched re-runs of Batman all the time as a kid. Kitt was one of several actresses to play Catwoman on the series so I doubt I could tell which one was which.

Adam West still cracks me up on Family Guy.

I loved her as Yzma in Emperor's New Groove, but have never seen the old Batman show. Ah well.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    I watched re-runs of Batman all the time as a kid. Kitt was one of several actresses to play Catwoman on the series so I doubt I could tell which one was which.

Adam West still cracks me up on Family Guy.
    Julie Newmar was the original Catwoman on the series. Eartha Kitt came next, and then Lee Meriwether (Miss America 1955!).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Before I pay my respects, I'm very surprised at you, JJL. Between Adam West, Shark Repellent Bat-Spray, and Louie the Lilac, I would have expected you to have seen this gem of a show on YouTube. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Here's the first part of an episode showing how classic Ms Kitt was as Catwoman. (You can figure out how to get the later segments, I'm sure.) It's totally the opposite of what Batman was meant to be, but it's so ridiculously funny, it's easy to overlook that.

Eartha Kitt did the only version of "Santa Baby" that's worth remembering. Even Madonna couldn't touch her performance. And her film career would be memorable if she had only ever played Yzma (a terrific role in one of Disney's most underrated films). Catnap in peace. I'm sure St Peter will have set aside for you a '54 convertible, light blue, and a ring (and I don't mean on the phone).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm familiar with the show, of course, but I've just never watched more than small clips of it. After watching The Dark Knight yesterday and that clip just now, yeah, there's a definite difference in tone.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Julie Newmar is the REAL Catwoman. Kitt only got the role because Julie wasn't available at the time. Kitt was just a placeholder, second choice. They keep describing her as "sexy" and "sultry" but I've never seen it. She was short and not attractive at all. Newmar set the standard for sultry and sexy for Catwoman and no one has come close since.

If Lucas is looking to redo old movies with new technology, I'm sure everyone would appreciate a new Batman with Kitt out and Newmar in. That would be worth the effort.

Watch the video for Kitt's "Santa Baby" off of Youtube and prepare to be disturbed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOMmSbxB_Sg

I always dug Eartha's voice, sounded sultry and very earth-y (get it?). And she made a very impressive Catwoman, at least the 12 year old in me is saying that from all the viewing of Batman I did from my younger years. She will be missed.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

It's pretty tasteless and twisted to come into a thread meant to pay respects and slam someone. She wasn't an axe murderer or Richard Nixon, just a singer and actress, and very good at what she did. Show some class, man!

Kitt was a damned good Catwoman. It's not fair to compare her to Newmar. They were different, almost too different to say one was better than the other. As a kid, it confused me that Catwoman suddenly became black mid-show, but they both did equally great jobs. Newmar was hotter, no doubt, but Kitt's voice and style really suited what Catwoman was in that show. Bear in mind it was intended to be more or less a parody of what Bob Kane (and, uncredited, Bill Finger) had created.

Looks ain't everything. For instance, Joan Osborne is sexy as hell, but she's so fugly that she could probably turn you to stone if you look directly in her eyes.

LBC, that video is a little weird, and it doesn't sound like the single version hardly at all. She seems like she's just kinda going through the motions there, without putting any "oomph" into it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It's pretty tasteless and twisted to come into a thread meant to pay respects and slam someone. She wasn't an axe murderer or Richard Nixon, just a singer and actress, and very good at what she did. Show some class, man!
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm fairly confident that she isn't offended because she didn't read it. And in the same way, she isn't riding high on the praise for the same reason.