Page 519 of 867 FirstFirst ... 19419469509515516517518519520521522523529569619 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 8662

Thread: New Contest!

Was it delivered by a shark?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I have become comfortably numb.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

From Merriam Webster

The Word of the Day for June 18, 2009 is:

short shrift \SHORT-SHRIFT\ noun

1 : barely adequate time for confession before execution
    2a : little or no attention or consideration b : quick work

Example Sentence:
    Parents are complaining that, due to recent budget cuts, physical education and arts programs have been given short shrift in the local schools.
    Did you know?
    The word "shrift" is an archaic noun referring to the confession or absolution of sins. These days, "shrift" is rarely encountered on its own, but it does keep frequent company with "short" in the phrase "short shrift." The earliest known use of the phrase comes from William Shakespeare's play Richard III, in which Lord Hastings, who has been condemned by King Richard to be beheaded, is told by Sir Richard Ratcliffe to "Make a short shrift" as the king "longs to see your head." Shakespeare uses this phrase quite literally ("keep your confession short"), but since at least the 19th century the phrase has been used figuratively to refer to a small or inadequate amount of time or attention given to something.

If I take a standardized test with a verbal section, would that be a word I need to know?

Jeremy spoke in class today, then he bit the recess lady in a very sensitive area, and then he hit me (the little *****.) I think he was just looking for attention but nobody cared.

I should have gone ahead and short shifted before leaving a dookie on Cappy's front porch.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Time to declare me ruler of the world!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    Time to declare me ruler of the world!
    That's ok, but I'm ruler of the Universes. I need trustworthy "local" leaders.

Shooting at the walls of heart-ache, I am the warrior. True dat.