Page 769 of 867 FirstFirst ... 269669719759765766767768769770771772773779819 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,690 of 8662

Thread: New Contest!

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    It's not a holiday unless there's a meal or presents associated with it.
    or fireworks

Yes! Brian Dugan was sentenced to death for the 1983 murder of a young girl. This case was big here in Illinois, because three men were tried and convicted for the killing. One of those men later had the charges dropped, but the other two were sentenced to death. Later the cases were overturned and eventually the two were released, but 7 prosecutors were tried, in a case named the "Dupage 7" (just going by memory here).
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Does working something like that make it tough to sleep? Do you have pictures of what you see running through your mind or are you desensitized from working on it for so long?
    I'm successful in leaving about 99% of work at work. But every once in a while a case will get to you, like the one about which I posted above. The decedent was only 18 years old and the other victim's birthday was the next day (I believe he was turning 19).. It's sad and maddening to see the waste of such a young life, especially over such non-issues and what color clothing you wear or what part of town you dare walk in. Utter stupidity. It's these little revelations as you go on into the investigation that strike your humanity.

I'm not desensitized to it. I see plenty of sights that make me cringe on a regular basis. I just have a mechanism (like the rest of my colleagues) that allows me to tolerate the unpleasantness of and my work. I don't know what that mechanism is but it's also found with ER docs, nurses, paramedics, firemen who, in my opinion, see much worse than I. This will sound weird, but working homicides for the most part, is a lot "cleaner" (my word) than say paramedics and firemen who respond to traffic collisions, industrial accidents, and the like. I get in on those types of cases from time to time and I find those more difficult to handle because of the visual carnage (and at times the sounds and odors). I guess it all depends on a "certain point of view".
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Sadly, it has to do with empathy for them for surviving, while in the homicide case, no one can ever hurt them again.

Let's be Happy today. Tomorrow, Sneezy, and on the weekends, Doc one day and Dopey the other. Your choice.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    It's not a holiday unless there's a meal or presents associated with it.
    I'm sure the millions of veterans who have sacrificed so much to ensure our freedom that we were honoring yesterday really appreciate your sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    I'm sure the millions of veterans who have sacrificed so much to ensure our freedom that we were honoring yesterday really appreciate your sentiments.
    I'm only honoring those who served and are no longer part of the service. Those who are serving are to be honored at Armed Forces day. The dead on Memorial Day. Not my problem if I can get the holidays right and everyone else doesn't and totally destroys the meaning.

And all three are technically still not holidays, but days of remembrance/commemoration.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

This must be a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Tryptophan......zzzzzzzzzzzz

Just practicing for the big day!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Tryptophan......zzzzzzzzzzzz

Just practicing for the big day!
    L or D isomer?

Okay, I think the swine flu has been blown a little out of proportion (a little? ha!), but why do people seem to think the government is trying to kill or control people by requiring the vaccine (which they don't)? I know it isn't perfect, but, uh, what's better, the minimal chance of complications from a vaccine, or dying from the flu?

<smacks head against desk>
    Tommy, close your eyes.