Batmobile & Armored Cocoon Model Retro Review

I'm kicking it back to 1989 for this one. In conjunction with the 1st Tim Burton flick, Ertl released a scale model of the Batmobile. To go along with that, they offered a mail in premium for an armored cocoon for it.

Check out my thoughts on this crime fighting combination here:

http://tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/batmobile_model.asp

Enjoy!
    Engineernerd

Interesting, I didn't know they offered that, and as a mail-away no less! I got the Toy Biz Batmobile that year with the figures, it also came with the cocoon, similar vacuformed design, but they actually tried to do the wheel shields: http://the-pop-culture-junkie.blogsp...batmobile.html

(BTW, you misspelled "sheilds" in the review)

Check out the photos of the actual movie prop, based on your photos it looks like the Ertl cocoon is fairly accurate: http://www.chickslovethecar.com/KeatonShield.aspx
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, it almost looks like the armored prop was a shell piece as well.

I remember some of those ToyBiz pieces. I didn't remember there being a cocoon. Of course, as a senior in high school I was way too cool for such child's playthings...

Thanks for the heads up on the spelling. I was wondering what the red squiggly line meant. Actually, engineers are notoriously known for their bad spelling. After my fourth or fifth review, Mrs. Nerd was pretty worn out and said she didn't want to proof any more for me, so thanks again.

It was only the first release that had the cocoon, they released it again without it. TB didn't know what to expect, hence the poor showing at retail of just 3 figures and a vehicle on a movie that turned out to be a blockbuster. The funny thing though is that, while the sculpting was rudimentary, they got a lot of things right that other Batman movie figures and vehicles haven't:
    Deco accuracy
    Good accessories
    Fun and film-accurate action gimmicks (the belt line on Bats, the missile launchers on the Batmobile)
    Secondary villain
    Thought put into the cockpit design and figures' ability to interact with it

Sure thing. Engineers should really keep their eyes on the tracks anyway.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think that is a pretty much true for most of lines from that era. Companies tried to make items that made sense for the property and could be matched to some on screen. There were a few EU things around, but not many. The lack of EU items in the vintage line is another sign of this.

BTW, I work for a company that makes stuff that goes into peoples bodies. I can tell you my eyes are always on the track. Sadly, not the case in every industry, though.

Kenner was one of the first to really exploit the heck out of off-screen outfits like that, with Superheroes anyway, when they got the Batman Returns license. I believe this was very shortly before Hasbro bought Kenner too. It's all based on the GI Joe concept, of course.

Wow, you'd think you'd keep your eyes on your work instead of on train tracks. My step-dad used to do moldmaking and tool design for medical, it's a thankless job.

You know, JT, sometimes it is thankless. I'm a quality engineer and spend most of my day looking at what is wrong. However, there's really good stuff. Bout a year ago, I working on a project for a new implant. We got a status report a couple months latter saying that the first two patients were walking again when doctors didn't think they ever would again. That makes it all worth it.

That's pretty cool, definitely a good payoff.