Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie

Valkyrie

Anyone else see it? We went a week or so ago and my wife and I really liked it. My brother was kind of indifferent about it. Honestly I was kind of surprised how much I liked it after seeing a good number of bad reviews for the movie. Most of the complaints seemed to be about the lack of action in the movie which I find strange. Given that the movie is about 1 single explosion I don't know what folks are expecting to see. Perhaps too many M.Bay movies have folks expecting explosions and chase scenes in every movie.

I didn't find Tom Cruise distracting in his lead role and actually thought he did a good job with it. There are a lot of good actors thrown in as well. Once again the bad guys (Nazi's) are played by British actors for the most part. The visuals are great and make me hope there is a DVD commentary that would cover how they recreated 1940's Germany. I'll admit that I didn't know anything about this attempt on Hitler's life before watching the movie beyond knowing someone tried to blow him up. The grand scale of the attempt and overthrowing of the Nazi party in Germany was impressive. I hope to follow this movie up with a good book covering the events.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    I give it 2 thumbs up.
    You now owe Roger Ebert five bucks.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

OK, I give it 2 buckets of popcorn.

OK, I give it 2 buckets of popcorn.
    Very well done! True to the history of how things roled out. They even highlighted the high court. great movie!

I saw it on Christmas day and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to purchasing it on dvd and seeing some good behind the scenes type stuff.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I really really really really want to see this. It's playing on base so I'm gonna try and catch it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'll give my expert opinion when I'm done.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Most of the complaints seemed to be about the lack of action in the movie which I find strange. Given that the movie is about 1 single explosion I don't know what folks are expecting to see.
    Probably because when people heard about it they figured it was a WWII movie, not a conspiracy movie.

I think another thing that contributed to this was that the preview showed all the action sequences, like the planes in North Africa and the explosion in the briefing room.

It made no difference to me, it was a great film and had a very intriguing story to tell.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

True. I guess they didn't properly advertise the movie since, like you said, the previews show the North Africa portion and the final explosion.

I also saw it on Christmas and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The only distracting part for me was hearing Nazis with British and American accents, but I got over that very quickly.

I don't understand the Cruise bashing. I thought he was pretty darn good. I'm not a Cruise fan by any means, as there are only two other movies of his that I've truly liked (Collateral and The Last Samurai), and I'd add this to the list of good performances.

But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends." Ummm yeah, duh. We know how most important historical movies end. Its all about the characters and backstory.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    I
    But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends." Ummm yeah, duh. We know how most important historical movies end. Its all about the characters and backstory.
    Yet Titanic is the highest grossing movie. That's the ultimate in "we already know how it ends" movies. I guarantee that 80% of America doesn't even know about the July 20th plot.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!