Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

New figure packaging for season 2 revealed

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index....articleid=1891

What do you guys think?

I'm not feeling it yet, that may change with a figure on the card, but for right now it's not particularly dynamic. That said, it's a big step up from the current packaging which is lacking any excitement whatsoever. The big character photo will make a significant impact, and red is always a selling color, but the big white empty space could be a hindrance. I suspect all the sharp die-cut sections are gonna get mangled to hell fast.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I wonder if the continuation of the classic figure line (whatever it may be called next year) will be on similar cards, or more easily differentiated from Clone Wars.

Edit: Never mind. I see the ugliness will permeate all Star Wars toys.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I suspect all the sharp die-cut sections are gonna get mangled to hell fast.
    We all said the same thing about the TAC angles, but I never really saw any problems with it. Then again, I wasn't a carded collector, but there was nothing too jarring.

The angles are interesting, and I love the return to the big character picture and (hopefully) a lack of wraparound packaging, as well as the exclusion of the "blurbs," which always start to stretch when they've been on there too long (we've already went from "Firing Rocket Blaster!" to "Jedi Robe!" ). However, the extreme whiteness looks bad. The guy said it puts the focus onto the figure itself, which I suppose is good, but I loved the OTC, TSC, and TAC packaging, with a lot going on in the design, even right around the figure. I've also never really been a fan of them putting the first name all tiny and the second name all huge; I'd rather see a return to the one-line name with a sort of description below - i.e., Anakin Skywalker (Jedi Knight) or something similar. Looks like they list an accessory below the name, which I like. Hopefully the cardback will have a large picture of the figure itself again, as well as a picture of the character from the movie/series, which I'm missing on the current ones.

It'll obviously look different with the figure and bubble on there. The new card designs always end up looking smaller when I see them on the shelves than I imagined they would be; this one will likely be exceptionally so with half the damn card cut away.

It's at least nice to know we'll get an animated Gree. Oh, and what's up with the guy citing Fordo for the red packaging? Fordo was in the old series, and we haven't seen any ARC troopers here yet.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I like it, very striking. Maybe they'll add a background pic behind the figure. Anything but another starburst.

I'd have to see it with a figure in a bubble attached. It's okay for now.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I like it! It'll probably make me want to keep 1 or 2 figures carded now whereas with the current packaging, I'm not keeping any of them carded.

I think its an improvement over what we've got now. It does remind me of the TAC cardback, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    We all said the same thing about the TAC angles, but I never really saw any problems with it. Then again, I wasn't a carded collector, but there was nothing too jarring.
    Well, forgetting the J-hook for a minute, all of the angles on the TAC card were obtuse. Those two angles on the right side of this card are acute, thus they'll act like little hooks and will be snagging on all kinds of things while they are being stocked or moved around. I foresee lots of damage to that area of the cards.

As for the packaging, I just can't help but think that it looks amateurish. All that unused white space just makes it feel unfinished. It's nice to be returning to the large character photos, though.

Reading that interview, it's funny how they say that the current Clone Wars packaging was probably their best idea, but most fans seem to agree that it's one of the worst package designs in the history of the line. Just goes to show how out of touch these overpriced graphic design agencies are.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

BB, you are a mindreader, you stole my thoughts and then made them more interesting.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    BB, you are a mindreader, you stole my thoughts and then made them more interesting.
    Well, it's nice to know that my degree in Graphic Design isn't totally going to waste.

I'm actually not a big fan of modern design theory, especially when it comes to package designs. Too many monochromatic themes. I just prefer the old days of Star Wars packaging with the black and silver border around a giant reference photo that dominated the card. Those photos could utilize any range of colors. Plus the solid color field behind the figure, which was unique for every figure, made for an endless variety of color combinations. Just so much better than the lazy "everything's green" or "everything's red" style of design work that we have now.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis