Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I went to a Cat Show today. It was my first time ever.

Well there were cats everywhere! And I met people who really love them. Still, I don’t think I’d EVER bring my cats into an environment like that and subject them to all that drama.

My cats, especially my shy-girl, would be overwhelmed by all the people and animals. I watched the judges go through the cats very quickly, too. I guess they’re experts and know what they’re looking for -but they barely gave each kitty time to adapt and get to know the "new stranger" when they tried to see if the cat was playful and would attack a feather. One of mine would never! (At least not for 5 or 10 minutes - until she got to know the stranger. And she’s very playful with me - and very loving.)

But I suppose some of these show-cats are used to the competition circuit.

Still, that’s just not how I appreciate my animals.

Meanwhile, they had really cool cat trees on display there, and all the latest in kitty-litter-technology, hybrid foods, etc. etc. I stopped myself before I spent a fortune (well I was only interested in the cat trees really out of some last, desperate hope I could at long last save at least one sofa). But honestly, my babies might have a lot of fun with these things but I wanted to look at the website so I could see all the design options available to me and my little friends.

The other really good thing that was going on there was all the humane society adoptions. A good thing about that too, was you didn’t take a cat home with you on the spot, but applied for a background check and so-on, and then you’d arrange to pick up your adopted cat at a later date. The same thing could be noted about the kitten adoptions, too.

They also had a cat obstacle course or "agility proving ground." When I first saw this, I laughed. These are cats! The ladies "on the field" with these cats were wasting their time and delusional if they thought that most of these cats could be trained to run an obstacle course. The first time I watched, a cat simply stretched out and lay down to sleep in front of the first jump.

I passed by there later hower, and a youngster (not small enough to still be called a kitten - but I’d guess around 2 years old nevertheless) did 3 laps through the course just as I made my way up to watch. He was chasing "a bird" on an eslastic line and probably having the best time of his life jumping over, through and diving under everything. It kind of redeemed the lady who I first saw the older cat go to sleep on.

Anyway, this was my first cat show. Eh. Maybe I’ll go to another one on down the line. At least I know that cat tree bargains can be had there when exhibitors are packing up things at the end of the convention. I just would never subject my babies to that kind of chaos though. But I guess to each their own. There are cats I saw there who seemed perfectly accustomed to the whole thing and rather enjoyed themselves.

Oh - and one who won a ribbon promptly ripped it down off its cage and had a great time chewing on it!

I honestly don't get pet pageants or baby pageants, it's making a decision for something which cannot make a decision for themselves, and it's not one in their best interest.

So, why did you go to this exactly?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    He makes all of these strange threads and you ask why he went?! This is probably one of the more sane things he's ever done!
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

It helps decipher the mystery of what could possibly drive a being to make those sorts of posts. I'm asking for posterity... and for my amateur psychological pathologists course.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's quite obvious; curiosity spectated the cat.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Basker's got it: I had never been to a cat show before and I was curious.

By the way, do you know how many girls are in attendance at cat shows?

Hello kitty!

In the majority of cases, women prefer cats and men prefer having dogs.

I met 2 girls at the show and exchanged contact information. I'm obviously hoping for more contact.

I also happen to like peaceful, serene pets, and having given my cats a lot of love, they actually DO come when I whistle for them (they like the main title theme to Star Wars lately. Go figure).

I did grow up having also owned a dog and I'd like to get 2 new dogs at some point in the future when I have a house with a yard. (maybe - living without any pets is also tempting, but first I have a lifetime commitment to these cats).

But back to the question at hand, I'd never been to a cat show and I have some interest, so as I was curious, I went.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I met 2 girls at the show and exchanged contact information. I'm obviously hoping for more contact.
    He wants to pet their kitty's! Meow!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I think he went to test the effectiveness of allergy medications.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

It's funny as has been said that men like dogs and women like cats.
    I like them both (does that make me AC/DC in the animal kingdom? )

It would seem guys should like cats more because they are low maintenance. I know I like a low maintenance thing in a relationship.

Then again you just can't get that undevided loyalty from a puddin' head. They like to run around and do their own thing.

Cat shows are kinda cool though. All kinds of exotic felines you never thought existed. And yeah lots of felines on two legs. Too bad the last show I went to was with my X.

I like both cats and dogs, but prefer dogs due to the lack of a litter box. Especially larger dogs like our German Shepherd, she's been one of the most fun animals I've ever had - I just wish we had a larger backyard for her.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"