Page 12 of 151 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    Went into town and spent the day at the university library so I could download some software updates using their free Wi-Fi.

Normally I'd just go to the closest public library branch, but they've closed them due to budget shortfalls. The main branch downtown is just too out of the way and too crowded and noisy.

That's happening in San Diego, too (library hours being cut, staff being retired). It really sucks as many people really enjoy libraries. I did hours upon hours of volunteer work for my local library branch.

You can check out movies there, too. It's way free as compared to NetFlix or Block Buster. I think they even have video games.

Anyway, one proposal is for our City to run a for-profit coffee shop operation in public libraries that will supply each branch with more funds. I think that's a great idea, as it will make libraries even more comfortable than Borders' Book Stores and it will really become the "in-thing" for people to hang out at our public libraries. It was always intended to be that way, anyway.

I spent my Saturday filming a bunch of rednecks playing in the mud:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqD6bG6TcZM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwLkATk9wI

I also got to help fix the bucket on a bulldozer, and filmed the guys busting open a dam so they could drain the pond you see in the video. Overall pretty eventful.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

That's happening in San Diego, too (library hours being cut, staff being retired). It really sucks as many people really enjoy libraries. I did hours upon hours of volunteer work for my local library branch.

You can check out movies there, too. It's way free as compared to NetFlix or Block Buster. I think they even have video games.

Anyway, one proposal is for our City to run a for-profit coffee shop operation in public libraries that will supply each branch with more funds. I think that's a great idea, as it will make libraries even more comfortable than Borders' Book Stores and it will really become the "in-thing" for people to hang out at our public libraries. It was always intended to be that way, anyway.
    Putting a coffee shop in the branch is a good idea, though I'm not sure they could raise enough money for the library after meeting the shop's overhead. Maybe they could just rent out space to one of the coffee-shop franchises.

With only two branches remaining open here, I wonder how circulation will be affected. I know I won't be going to the library as much I once did. It was convenient to stop by the small branch on the way home and pick up books or movies I had on hold or check if anything new had come in. I could also get on a computer and use their broadband to surf.

Speaking of high-speed internet, I was hoping that some of the analog airwaves being freed up by the transition to digital TV would be used for providing cheap wireless internet for those of us in the sticks with only dial-up access.

I spent my Saturday putting people in jail. I set a record 6 people in 3 hours.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

Speaking of high-speed internet, I was hoping that some of the analog airwaves being freed up by the transition to digital TV would be used for providing cheap wireless internet for those of us in the sticks with only dial-up access.
    That's in the works as part of the stimulus bill that was signed into law. I'm not really sure it has anything to do with the airwaves, but one of the aims is to increase broadband access to rural areas.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    That's in the works as part of the stimulus bill that was signed into law. I'm not really sure it has anything to do with the airwaves, but one of the aims is to increase broadband access to rural areas.
    That'll be a happy day if and when it comes. The government is setting aside some analog frequencies for emergency services and I've read the FCC has already auctioned off part of the spectrum to the larger com. companies for broadband wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I spent my Saturday putting people in jail. I set a record 6 people in 3 hours.
    Music to my ears!

Good to see chrisc checking in!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Good to see chrisc checking in!
    I try.... been realy busy for the past few months
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    I ended up getting a letter from the Florida Department of Child Support Enforcement basically saying that "their files indicate that my current obligation was closed on February 28th, 2009, due to the emancipation of your child by age. However; our records indicate an arrearage of $1,120.00. As Illinois has the controlling order, you may contact their clerk of the court for an audit of your payment record. If their records differ from ours, the Illinois child support office can provide an updated arrearage statement to our office."

So basically another day spent going and copying records to send to my clerk of circuit court still trying to get my tax refund money back. Arrrrrrgghhhhh!
    Well yesterday after I mailed everything above to the clerk of the circuit court at lunch, I got off of work 5 hours later, and found that the Florida Department of Child Support Enforcement sent me a check for the tax money that was taken from me.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Awesome, Frett. I'm sure that's quite the relief to see $1,000 in your name.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!