Page 85 of 146 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
    Maybe the runners think that 10K refers to the minimum number of entries required, not distance run. Do they stagger the start for "sweepstakes" competitors, or is just a free-for-all start?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Big races these days, and many smaller races too, use chip timing. That way, even if it takes you a long time to just get to the starting line, you will have a time recorded for how long it actually took you to go from start to finish. The big races also sometimes have separate starts for elite runners, and I think even try to put people in the appropriate spot at the start based on how fast they are. Bloomsday in Spokane is one of the biggest races in the country, and I think a friend of mine was talking about needing a certain time to be in a certain starting tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Maybe the runners think that 10K refers to the minimum number of entries required, not distance run. Do they stagger the start for "sweepstakes" competitors, or is just a free-for-all start?
    As MSP they used a chip timing system, so even if you didn't cross the start line until 45 minutes after the start the clock didn't "start' until you hit the line.

Also as MSP touched on this raced used a corral start. You were placed in one of 7 groups to start (based on projected pace time). Corral 1 starts, they wait a bit, then corral 2, etc. The thinking behind this is it spreads out the runners a bit so the water/Gatorade stops don't get crushed (as bad). As for where you start in your corral its an unwritten rule that you're on the honor system. Faster people up front, slower people in back, that of course doesn't happen anywhere as near perfectly as I just described it. We all started together elite's and the rest of us, the elites of course were at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    As for where you start in your corral its an unwritten rule that you're on the honor system. Faster people up front, slower people in back, that of course doesn't happen anywhere as near perfectly as I just described it. We all started together elite's and the rest of us, the elites of course were at the front.
    I did a local race that starts on a narrow back street. The starter said something like "unless you are running 5 minute miles you shouldn't be in the front row." However, there were some young kids on the front line. I was back a couple rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I did a local race that starts on a narrow back street. The starter said something like "unless you are running 5 minute miles you shouldn't be in the front row." However, there were some young kids on the front line. I was back a couple rows.
    Awesome I love it! I could have moved closer to the front but I didn't because I saw some people that I know so we were talking and started together. There were some kids that I'd say were 8-11ish infront of me, in no way shape or form did they belong that close (let alone in wave 1).

I had quite a productive day: built a small wheeled grill, cleaned out the garage a little (a full clean-out would take more preparation and time), dropped off two functioning-but-no-good-channel-reception TVs to the waste center, went to two different libraries (one to check out a book, the other to return one and ask a question), got gas ($3.83 per), had lunch at Jack in the Box and a simple dinner at home, read a book and started another, watched some TV (on sets with digital signals).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Didn't do too much. I went to see Super 8, which was pretty good. In the evening, watched a Doctor Who marathon (Robot and Terror of the Zygons from the Tom Baker era).

Slept in...long, crazy week; laundry; went to Big 5 Sporting Goods (needed a new knife for work, also bought a brick of .22 ammo); BBQ'd chicken for dinner; tried to find something decent to watch on TV in the evening (fail); went to bed.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I also slept in a bit (until about 7:30). Tried out a "new" restaurant for breakfast/lunch (meaning, the place has been around since about the 70s, but I hadn't yet eaten there), which is on the site of our local airport (small planes). Did some simple errands (library stuff, grocery store, bank). Read some more. Lethargy a-plenty the rest of the evening.

Slept in, went for a run, during which a dog came after me, crossing roughly 3.5 lanes of traffic before it stopped (right before it nearly got hit by a couple of cars) and ran home. After that the usual, eat, work, nap, eat, work.