Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I ran a marathon today!

Yup, I ran 26.2 miles today in 4 hrs 29 min and 49 sec. I didn't have a time goal per say, I just wanted to finish. That being said I figured I'd finish in the 4:15 - 4:30 range so in that regard I just came in under my "high time."

There were about a zillion things I could have done differently in training that I know would have dropped my time. In short I ran 4 times a week, did virtually no cross training and d@mn near no stretching. Not an ideal training formula for a marathon (unless you want to get injured) but it got me to the finish and uninjured.

There may even be a few pictures of me on the events website, if I find any where I don't look like I'm going to fall over from exhaustion I'll post 'em here.

Damn, nice work! I can barely run from the couch to the kitchen.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

What you want, a medal?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    What you want, a medal?
    Nope I got one of those at the finish line.

Congratulations! My wife ran a marathon 3 years ago so I know (or at least have seen) all the training and discipline that goes into getting ready for it. It's really a huge accomplishment. If there isn't a ball involved I have a hard time running 10 steps. The only way I'll ever do a marathon is if I get to dribble a basketball and shoot lay-ups every 100 feet or so.

Congrats JimJam. That was an impressive time too and something you can cross off your bucket list.

My goal is to race one too, but I got to start somewhere, say a 5K. I jog almost nightly during the summer but sadly during the school week, I am too burned out to do so, so I usually end up jump roping in the basement.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Well done. I ended up being the more accomplished runner in my family, but I never did do a marathon. My brother did Victoria 3 or 4 times, with his best time being his first one in 3:21 or 3:23 I think. If I trained consistently and managed to do one, I think I could probably beat that time. I just don't think my body is up to running that far. I did a couple half marathons in college, but my longest run was probably about 15 miles. I don't think I'd be able to master the fluid intake while running. I still might consider trying one some day if I ever can train consistently. I'll be content with doing mostly 5K's and the occasional 10K. There is a local 7 mile race that is mostly on a trail that I like to do in July, and there is a 15K along the waterfront that they started up a couple years ago that I'd like to try sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    Congrats JimJam. That was an impressive time too and something you can cross off your bucket list.
    Actually that was my second career marathon. My first was 9 years ago. I'd like to do another "local" one but that is in May and it'll be tough getting in that early training due to winter etc.

My goal is to race one too, but I got to start somewhere, say a 5K. I jog almost nightly during the summer but sadly during the school week, I am too burned out to do so, so I usually end up jump roping in the basement.
    I've found the key is to get into a pattern of running. When I take extra days off from running its easier and easier to skip the next workout. But after I get past the initial point of getting used to running I find that I don't like missing workouts. If I miss a run I'm not as happy etc. as I would be if I had run.

As I said in an earlier post I didn't do much really other then run, while not ideal it worked for me. I used a plan from Runners World as a basis but I used it as a guide, if I was tired or whatever I skipped runs or went less then the distance I was "supposed to."

I'd suggest as you said start with a shorter race like a 5k, by the end of the summer you'd most likely be able to handle a 10k or even a half marathon. Then the next year after that 'base' or running you could bump up your mileage to the full distance. Also don't be afraid that you have to run the entire 26.2 miles. I didn't. I walked through 20 aid stations where I drank Gatorade and or water. Those 50-60 yards of walking every mile and a half or so made a huge difference. And if you'd need to walk more then that... so what! Who cares. Anywho, thats what I think.

Nicely done, JJB!

One of my brothers has been an avid long distance runner since high school when he was on the cross country team. He's participated in many events throughout the years, even getting his wife and two sons involved. He's run in things such as the LA Marathon, and the wacky Bay to Breakers 12K in San Francisco (see the attached photo for a group that participated this year....say, is that Frett?).

I've never been able to handle the long distances. I ran sprints and hurdles in school (for a very short time). I guess my talent for that came from escaping the wrath of two older brothers while growing up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bay-to-breakers-2009-2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	21560  
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!