Page 113 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1394

Cool MSP.

I spent the day writing. I am on page 437 of 475 (38 pages of self-editing to go) for my 2nd novel.

Now, I skipped 2 chapters -

a) short one where my hero girl and her boyfriend run to find shelter or at least airspace to breath in from a flood.
    b) elaborate one where by bad girl takes down an FBI strike team during a raid - wanted to come back to it and do the scene justice.

And I still will add about 30 or so pages between 437 and 475, taking the book to about 505 pages because there needs to be another take-down and ensuing battle. Each time I do one of those, I have to create a handful of new "expendable characters" so the combat's more of something a reader cares about, since at least semi-two-dimensional nobodies are getting killed, versus just one-dimensional non-descripts. It's how you really develop a good battle scene in a novel.

For example, if it were Star Wars, you'd give names to the Death Star Trooper (on the left) and the Death Star Trooper (to the far back, stage right). Then when Han and Chewie shoot them, you give a care, sort of. But to make them real, you go back and say they were "Petro" and "Carniss," and then insert them into the scene where Vader interrogates Leia, and say something like "Petro and Carniss accompanied Lord Vader to the Princess' cell. Carniss was especially looking forward to seeing the young Imperial Senator tortured because she betrayed the Empire and got his friend killed when trying to take her counsular ship as it resisted being boarded."

Now Carniss has a motive for hating Leia. The reader presumably likes Leia, and when Han shoots Carniss, it is more exciting, because it seems that Han has done justice for Leia.

If Han shoots "some dude with a bucket on his head," nobody will really care and the action won't seem as interesting. I teach this technique in creative writing assistance.

A good action story has GREAT action! It's easier to do this with a movie, a comic book, or even the screen play write-up. To write a novel, one must rise up to a new challenge. Not even many of the best Star Wars authors go this far. It is noteworthy that James Luceno is pretty good about it though. When Darth Maul killed mining union members in a bar fight, I distinctly remember him naming them thought they weren't really important to the story. But it made you care - not about them so much - as that Darth Maul was creating loss and taking away "characters," not just random non-descripts [Darth Maul: Sabateur].

Anyway, my work consumed my whole day! But I'm proud of a job well done!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Congrats on the book work, Tycho!

Felt a little better after the previous day's "ugh" tummy malaise (assumed it was due to a breakfast burrito from a new restaurant; guess who's unlikely to go there again?), so I took it easy and sluggishly. Had on SW:E1-E4 from Spike TV much of the day, as I also finished grading and non-electronically-recording my last final exams and read some more of what will likely be my last book read of 2012. I did go out for dinner (McRib! ) through the drive-thru, but was homebound the rest of the time.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Congrats on the book work, Tycho!

Felt a little better after the previous day's "ugh" tummy malaise (assumed it was due to a breakfast burrito from a new restaurant; guess who's unlikely to go there again?), ...I did go out for dinner (McRib! ) through the drive-thru...
    And a McRib will make things better ?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    And a McRib will make things better ?!?!?!?!
    Chomp!

Sprinklers are all working properly now, happy to report. Got a haircut, dropped off recyclables (found out the guy who works at the place I go to will retire at the end of this month), went to the library to donate some books and magazines plus pick up tickets for the upcoming Big Read kickoff event, found some MORE Converse All-Stars courtesy of a %-off deal and coupon, came home and thought about grading papers (did plan next week's lessons), watched hockey with a bittersweet heart (could've avoided this "lockout" carp easily ), made pork chops/mashed potatoes/peas for din-din, won a couple online auctions. A BUSY day for sure.

I was cast in a Christopher Guest series for HBO and spent the weekend shooting guns and "holding the skirmish line" with actor Chris O'Dowd. The attached pic is me and the director to who I pitched my novel series to for assistance with a great reference for getting a major publisher and my own work turned into movies or a mini-series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guest.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	27033  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tried going for a run but only managed a pained 2 miles (I've got bursitis in my left knee). Other then that pretty much the usual.

Volunteered at the county Academic Decathlon (as I've said before, if you want a refreshing break from the lost optimism of our future leaders of the country, go to one of these to restore your faith ), dropped off recycling (believe that's just over $150 on the school year up to now). Organized some digital pics, watched a little TV, tried (unsuccessfully) to get some grading done. Tried (successfully) to go to bed early.

Began the day with the usual chores around the house. Then took time to run to work, even though it's my day off, to welcome our newest hirer in our unit and to wish him well. He just happens to be my nephew! No, no nepotism here but maybe the beginning of a family dynasty in the world of crime scene investigation? Came home and made my gabacho tacos for dinner.

....and for BJC: watched my wife unsuccessfully grade papers as well!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!