Page 116 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1505
    I'll bet they took care, sir.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I love Hatfields & McCoys!

Did you see a guy who looked like me riding a horse that looked like the one I ride firing a gun that looks like my own? (On the Confederate side during the opening battle.)

Actually, the mini-series turned out awesome and I've watched it 3 times in its entirety. I would have been a McCoy partisan probably, but I didn't get to pick my side.
    Don't you find it interesting how Kevin Costner was shown in the best light? Interesting how his character found God but Bill Paxton didn't and infact died thinking Hatfield was involved? Interesting how that could happen with a director that has worked with Costner on a ton of projects?

Plus the series was rather slow and boring imno.

I thought Costner carrying out that injured woman through the crowded concert was gratuitously like that other movie he was in; Bull Durham. :IWillAlwaysLoveYoooooooooooooooou:
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Don't you find it interesting how Kevin Costner was shown in the best light? Interesting how his character found God but Bill Paxton didn't and infact died thinking Hatfield was involved? Interesting how that could happen with a director that has worked with Costner on a ton of projects?

Plus the series was rather slow and boring imno.
    I am an Agnostic and usually get boiling (Dark Side) angry when people profess their religion. My first thought is usually, "I don't have time for this!" I feel a lot of anger but try very hard to hide it when people proclaim their love for Jesus (or fill in a religion here) and I know they don't follow it - or say they "reformed" yesterday - what I think is only an excuse for their lack of opportunity to commit any bad behavior (like riding a horse around and killing one's adversaries when one is hardly righteous in the first place).

[And I seriously want to keep this discussion our of the Rancor Pit, but PM me if you're interested in further details of my beliefs. As I said, I have exhausted my patience with most other religious people - except for those on their death bed or facing irrepairable grievences whom I don't care to make feel worse - so I don't expect the message, but I'd welcome the discussion.]

Back to Hatfield, it's his fear of death that has him baptised and worried about being on good behavior in the end. I loved the contrast between McCoy who lost his faith and Hatfield who "found his faith - a pile of steaming bull of course - though I figure Hatfield himself was in denial of that and oblivious to his hypocrisy or determined he'd convinced himself that Jesus dying for his sins would make up for the horrible, horrible sins he and his family committed (Cotton's death being probably and clearly the most indisputable).

This series was hardly slow or boring! I loved the controversy and continuingly increasing hypocrticial positions the characters were taking - like religious McCoy allowing for a contract killer to enter their employ and not stopping his scheming, plotting, and deservingly hated nephew the lawyer to escalate the war.

As a writer - and of this western genre - I totally build that kind of stuff up and have plenty of gun battles as did Hatfields & McCoys. You also have to build up your love stories to have passion behind the motivations of certain characters that drive them. If the affairs don't seem real, nobody will believe the participants being driven to kill.

No, I think Hatfields & McCoys was perfect.

Now do you think that "the director" had an atheist agenda? First step back and ask if that wouldn't start with the writers, Kirby and Mann?

I LOVE the atheist agenda, even though an agnostic agenda would serve my own beliefs better. Yet an agnostic (reasonable approach) agenda would lack much of the passion an atheist brings to their cause (or search for reason - though if they were objective - they'd see that either the Judiao-Christian "truth or lie" - whatever it really would be proven to be - prevents the atheist from proving their truth as well.

Anyway, it could be Kevin Reynolds selects atheist agenda - or how about stories that make people think about things - for the projects he likes to work on?

I don't know all of Reynolds' projects off the top of my head. Waterworld I think, which examined religion by mysticism anyway: "A child will lead the way..."

But you could say that I personally write with an agnostic agenda, or one to not-so-subtly paint Christians and Jews as irrational hypocrites anyway (and uh...Jesus Christ did as well if you actually paid attention and read the Bible for yourselves, people).

I would "attack" other religions as well, but I do not yet have occasions to confront them - though Islamic Fundamentalism will eventually get its fair share of attention in my novel series. But I'll actually enjoy it when someone says I wrote THOUSANDS of pages of "anti-Christian" material. Maybe Kevin Reynolds should direct films based on my books? (But I'm really thinking Michael Bay though my proposal was recently taken seriously in nearly a half-hour's time I spent on the set of an HBO series I acted in that was directed by Christopher Guest. He'd be great if he could refrain from putting almost ANY humor into my stories. My "voice" is angry and vengeful as one would expect of my personality. ["Else you don't understand the Power of the Dark Side of the Force " ]
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Umm, my comments about Kevin's character finding God wasn't a comment on the process or about religion or it in society etc. It was just a comment that his character is the one to find God while Bill Paxton is still stuck in the feud. Which I would think would tend to put him in a more positive light.

Renolds and Kostner have worked together 6 times from what I can tell.

There were some interesting things learned from the show. I thought the feud would have been longer, granted 30 odd years is long but I thought it would have gone on longer.

No, the feud might be over because Geico hired both the Hatfields and McCoys to make insurance commercials with real, living cavemen!

They all saved thousands of dollars by getting Geico Car Insurance. I am assuming this ended the decades of bloodshed.

If automobiles and auto insurance would have been invented earlier, it might have saved dozens of people's lives in Kentucky and West Virginia. (I think the latter is where the cavemen came from in the first place.)

Anyway, "the character who finds God" being shone in a positive light is not the message I took out of it.

First, Hatfield allegedly "found God" by embracing the Christian religion (hence his baptism). I don't see him in a positive light after he was responsible for ordering or allowing so much killing, and his service to himself first, by deserting in the Civil War, and then finding God to convince himself he had Jesus' forgiveness or something (the series doesn't mention Jesus by name in that part, but the baptism is a Christian tradition, so I extrapolate).

Second, I don't think there is forgiveness for what Hatfield did - if there is forgiveness. Now that is man's "invention," (Christ's forgiveness since it requires faith and is not demonstrated by proveable fact.) Perhaps Hatfield could have prayed to God that all his and his family's murders were successful kills, and God rewarded him for standing out instead of being a sheep? People are convinced their religion tells them that they "know" what God wants. Yeah. Right. The sniper in Saving Private Ryan would pray to God that his shots were kill shots. The Bible says "Thou shallt not kill." That the sniper is doing his military duty is an excuse. Personally, I like the one "Thou shall not commit adultery" if the exception to that one is "unless she's really, really, really hot!" Then it's all in the line of duty, right?
    But Hatfield's finding of religion does not shine a positive light on him in my eyes. He's a hypocrite and I'd hope everyone would see that.

Meanwhile, the Lord-loving faithful McCoy's abandonment of his faith and poisoning by his hatred and depression he fell into was awsome! I think that Reynolds (and Kirby and Mann foremost) showed the fall away from self-righteousness as something the audience could ponder (if they "got it"). Him intentionally or unintentionally killing himself in that fire (and historically, he could have even been murdered if there were no witnesses to say McCoy's death occured by foul play) shows the viewer that someone's fantasy reinforced by their faith might be worthwhile since the actual truth - living on after the loss of one's faith in unproven religious (and self-righteous) dogma - is indeed cruel - and reality can be cold and cruel.

I see a tragedy for both men.

Both Hatfield's righteousness and his finding God were outright lies. He might have believed the 2nd one, but I do not.

McCoy's defense / circumstance of being wronged might have been righteous, but his faith was a lie in that it could not protect him from evil - and his sons even perpetuated more wrong doing by their actions, thus he did not bring his family up in righteousness in spite of every effort he made without fail, to try - except that he did not reign in his nephew - but that was after all the trouble had started and his nephew hired the bounty hunter.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Performed the usual Saturday domestic tasks, visited into the wee hours with some great friends who relocated to Oregon and are staying with us for a few days while they conduct some local business, contributed some WWII research to the website NavSource.org.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Attempting to breathe, thanks to this stupid cold.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Finally lucked into getting Fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers, the main (and, arguably, only good) ride in Cars Land (AKA that Disney "land" based on the weakest Pixar movie, but which gets the best music in the park as a tradeoff).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I had another gun fighter show. It went very well. Then I went to a very reliable gun dealer for rifle repairs. Had to order a part but should have my rifle fixed before I need it in upcoming fights (still about 2 weeks away).

I also had my friend over and we caught up on The Americans, Justified (almost caught up - which is why I haven't visited the Justified thread in a little bit) and Walking Dead (all caught up and it's awesome!).

Been getting in great workouts and swimming laps too since the weather is beautiful!