Page 141 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1457
    Worked in my wife's classroom to help get it ready to shut down for the year after a quick trip to Target to purchase more storage containers for her room. Worked there late, so we went to dinner where we ran into about a dozen of her colleagues who had a similar idea. Also ran into parents and past students at the restaurant as well. Family members filed in just as we were preparing to leave which delayed our departure. Dinner turned into a three hour marathon (I'm NOT kidding!). Home now for domestic chores: laundry, making bed, washing dishes: done. Now time to chill....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Personal question, TI: does she get to keep most of her classroom stuff "on the floor," as opposed to locked in cabinets? Most of the elementary classrooms here have carpeting, while our high schoolers get linoleum floors (and they get waxed over the summer; the floors, not the kids ). Our custodial staff gets started soon after school bells ring for the last time, so you feel rushed to jam your stuff into locked cupboards, cabinets, or behind boards (otherwise, it will likely disappear by the time you return before school resumes, with EVERYTHING taken out and left in the hallways while they clean and dry the floors).

Saturday had a simple theme: grading. Last weekend before school gets out, and I still have student work to finish and record. Went up to the school for their group study session (no one needed English help, it seemed, so I could grade), into my classroom to return and pick up items... then grade). Out to find a couple things from stores, then home to grade. Watched a little TV, in between grading. The buzzer on the dryer reminding me not only to take out the clothes being washed, but also to get up and walk around after so much grading. Out for quick fast food din-din, so I moved my grading to the side of the couch. Graded before going to bed. And I have to finish up my grading on Sunday (a.k.a. The Day of [the] Rest [of the Grading]).

Ah, when will Pixar release A Teacher's Life...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Personal question, TI: does she get to keep most of her classroom stuff "on the floor," as opposed to locked in cabinets? Most of the elementary classrooms here have carpeting, while our high schoolers get linoleum floors (and they get waxed over the summer; the floors, not the kids ). Our custodial staff gets started soon after school bells ring for the last time, so you feel rushed to jam your stuff into locked cupboards, cabinets, or behind boards (otherwise, it will likely disappear by the time you return before school resumes, with EVERYTHING taken out and left in the hallways while they clean and dry the floors).
    Everything is stuffed into drawers or cabinets to the point where it would make a compactor on a detention level envious. What can't be placed in a cabinet is placed in boxes or plastic containers on top of the cabinet (a violation of the fire code but I defy anyone to find a classroom that doesn't practice that maneuver). Other loose items have to find a place on counter tops. It's quite the opposite of your situation in that nothing can be on the floor, save tables, desks, and chairs. Book cases have to be covered with butcher paper to protect the books over the summer. I guess the cleaning crew must get quite belligerent over the summer. Other furniture pieces are covered with old bed sheets. Almost everything on the walls is required to come down, only to be put back up the following year. I've never understood that. I've never heard of the janitors cleaning the walls. Her floors are a combination of carpet and vinyl so the custodial staff needs fighting room to clean each type of floor. BTW, at our school district, there is a traveling crew of custodial staff. Because of budget cuts, the crew comes in about three days a week during the school year as they make their rounds through the various schools. There is only one on-site janitor who desperately tries to keep up with the daily need during school hours.

And yes, she feels very rushed to get this all accomplished. It is quite an ordeal and a massive amount of work to finish in the time required to bail out for the end of the school year. It tends to be a family affair on the last couple of week ends before the end of school. Likewise when the new year begins.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Ran a section of the Ice Age Trail which is a National Scenic Trail that covers roughly 1,200 miles throughout the state of Wisconsin. After that I made some breakfast, then I headed up to do some shopping at the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon (didn't end up buying anything) and then went by some friends house for their son's birthday party.

Almost slept in until 6:00am. Finished grading one more class of final exams, and took them to the school (along with some other items). Then went to the library for their SW Day event, where I was to be a wandering Jedi/Shakespeare, reading parts from the WS's Star Wars book... until I realized I failed to bring all my Jedi costume with me, so back home quickly (but I virtually always build in extra time for such issues). I ended up hosting the Children's Reader Theater instead (indoors, letting them read a script about a boy or girl who wants to buy lightsabers for friends and can't decide on which kind; plus a spin-the-wheel game). Quite enjoyable; saw a few people I knew from various areas. Home to relax, grade a little more (down to my last 25 exams, IIRC), watch some boring TV, surf the neutral-for-now Web, got dinner as take out. To bed, anon.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Too many dreams meant not a good night's rest. Sprinklers, crossword, laundry. Headed out for some car-related stuff (gas, car wash), banking, booking (library return and get more, first book review for the summer program). Rest of the day was reading, watching TV (including a tough pounding by the Dodgers ), checking the virtual world, staying indoors mostly (upper 80s/low 90s out there).

Did some yardwork (swept around the newly-tarred driveway to clear out any stray spray, which led to sweeping a corner of the garage and the whole cement driveway; trimmed some tree branches; ran sprinklers after having to adjust a couple). To the bank (closed 7 minutes earlier ), to the library (slow there), to the grocery store (some good deals). Rest of the day was mainly indoors: watching Kings/Rangers and Belmont race, reading.

I'm part of a group that puts on a marathon and on Saturday a couple of us ran the course (its an out and back so no need to do the whole thing), we then got pizza and a few barley malts at a restaurant at the turnaround. Other then that pretty much the usual, reading, interwebbing, napping etc.