Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash!

Crash!

Well, it happened, I finally caught some nasty bug and my system went down. I have spent the last few days posting from other computers, besides my main PC.

Today I did a system restore, ran backups, and went through the whole nut roll of getting my system back.

Much to my chagrin, I was only partially successful. I managed to get my OS reloaded and my D drive which housed all of my music is fine, but my main C drive lost a lot of data. To include software that will need to be reloaded.

I went through the process and all my data was sent to a backup drive (after the crash), but somewhere along the way something went wrong. When I tried to run the back up it didn't work correctly.

Major programs include:
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Vista Upgrade (Ultimate)

Plus dozens on lesser programs, iTunes, Firefox, FRAPS, Object Dock, uTorrent, Norton Internet Security, etc.

It will take a long time to get everything back up. I have already loaded Firefox, which is the first program I put on any computer!
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Well, it happened, I finally caught some nasty bug and my system went down.
    It wasn't Virtomonde (aka Vundo) was it?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

surely you should be trying to reboot from an earlier backup. before the crash? othwerwise you're just sending the same possibly corrupt files back to the system. ergo heading for a crash again. it's no good buying a plug after the boat has sunk as they say.

"Crash" is a good song by the New York Dolls, and a better one by Dave Matthews. Ponder that for a moment.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

But it was a way-overrated best Oscar film.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    "Crash" is a good song by the New York Dolls, and a better one by Dave Matthews. Ponder that for a moment.
    The crappy James Spader film of Crash was better than the DMB song.

Good luck with your recovery, SK.

surely you should be trying to reboot from an earlier backup. before the crash? othwerwise you're just sending the same possibly corrupt files back to the system. ergo heading for a crash again. it's no good buying a plug after the boat has sunk as they say.
    That was my firs step, attempting to restore from a previous back up. No luck.

I ended up with a fresh install.
    May the force be with you.

I think going to college in VA re-wires something in your brain to like DMB even if you probably wouldn't otherwise.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I think going to college in VA re-wires something in your brain to like DMB even if you probably wouldn't otherwise.
    i think it's college in general. thankfully i had already finished when he started, so i'm immune apparently.